Replacing rear shock springs on a 2009 XTZ - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Prowler Projects Forum Working on a new Prowler project? Post up your worklog here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Replacing rear shock springs on a 2009 XTZ

My 2009 Prowler XTZ Baja rear springs measured 9" with the weight of the machine on them and the load adjusters screwed down to maximum. The advertised height was about 13". Based on the recommendations, and procedural assistance, of the forum members GTroyer (Gary) and mlh1962 (Mike) [Thank you], I purchased a pair of QA1 14HT350 springs. When I disassembled the shocks, the OEM springs free length was 14.75". The new QA1 springs free length measured 14". I backed off the adjusters to the top, then screwed them down to point of just holding the new springs in place, this was about 3/4" down from the top. I reinstalled the shocks and drove the machine around my fields at 20 mph. I then measured the height of the bed to the ground. I gained 2.75" in height, making the machine sit very close to the advertised height, without adding pre-load tension using the adjusters. I did not feel any harshness in the ride quality. I am happy with the outcome.

Here is a link to the photos I took. The 1st photo is the "before" photo. The last photo is the "after" photo.

Arctic Cat XTZ Rear Shock Spring Replacement by Terry Fiene | Photobucket

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Nice slide show, your shocks are a LOT different than mine!

One the ground clearance my '07 650 right now with the preload at the softest setting has 10.5" on the rear, advertised clearance for my is 12.5" and I believe that's with the preload at the middle setting.

But take into consideration tires, stock tires are 26", my replacement were supposed to be 26" but measured 25" so I lost a 1/2" there (split the diameter), when new the tread was 1-1/8" and I'm down to about an 1/8 now so there goes another 1" (that's actual tread lost below the axle). When I crank the preload to the stiffest setting I think I gained about an 1" to 1.5" so with new tires I wouldn't be far off from the advertised clearance. Does it sound like I figured that right?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 AM

I'm gonna order some today. Put those on the front and move the Highlifters to the rear. I looked at my rears last night with the preload in the middle slot and they are squished to 8 1/2 loaded and the lower 5 convolutions are touching, so they are shot, too.
Thanks for the pics Terry! They turned out great!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I'm gonna order some today. Put those on the front and move the Highlifters to the rear. I looked at my rears last night with the preload in the middle slot and they are squished to 8 1/2 loaded and the lower 5 convolutions are touching, so they are shot, too.
Thanks for the pics Terry! They turned out great!

Thanks, Bryan.

Before you order, please check to see that the springs are correct for your application. As Mike noted, in his post right above yours, that the 650 shocks are very different from the XTZ 1000's.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
Nice slide show, your shocks are a LOT different than mine!

One the ground clearance my '07 650 right now with the preload at the softest setting has 10.5" on the rear, advertised clearance for my is 12.5" and I believe that's with the preload at the middle setting.

But take into consideration tires, stock tires are 26", my replacement were supposed to be 26" but measured 25" so I lost a 1/2" there (split the diameter), when new the tread was 1-1/8" and I'm down to about an 1/8 now so there goes another 1" (that's actual tread lost below the axle). When I crank the preload to the stiffest setting I think I gained about an 1" to 1.5" so with new tires I wouldn't be far off from the advertised clearance. Does it sound like I figured that right?
I think you are correct about the clearance
-HOWEVER -
My most real concern was getting full use of the shock travel. With the spring height at 9", I was only getting about 75% of the actual available travel of the shock. With the new springs, I get about 95% of the available shock travel. I am not sure I explained this well, but I want the shock to be used to it's maximum capability, not just to gain ground clearance.

Terry
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Makes complete sense, if the spring is already compressed it can't allow much travel. Getting the lift, adding load capacity and retaining full travel makes more sense than just adding preload and loosing shock travel. Can't say I've put much thought into that until now
Every now and then a slap to the back of the head will get my gears turning again

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Same here! LOL Great point on shock travel!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:29 PM

I measured my old front stockers and they are the same. So I ordered the QA1'S today. Also got a new oil filter so I buzzed in at 99.49 and got the free shipping. Parts should be here Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Let the games begin!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 AM

As always RD... You guys love spending my $$$...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement