Prowler dome light - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Prowler Projects Forum Working on a new Prowler project? Post up your worklog here!

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Prowler dome light

Well i am starting to get fancy i guess. My wife and i went out for a few night rides this summer and my wife had to use her cell phone for a light to find her things. well when she could find her cell anyway. i was talking with a friend that rigged up some led's in his pioneer and it gave me this idea. i did some research to find the best parts i could that would match and this is like factory! i found door switches from a 2004 MERCEDES S500. they are black plastic and the exact black color of the arctic cat plastic.

i ordered a led light strip labeled super bright white for 10 bucks. it has 3m stick on one side so i cut 26 lights from the strip and stuck it to the back bar of the roll cage. this thing is bright! i cut the door switches into the cab and wired it in.
here are the results.

night pic

video of it working
http://vid4.photobucket.com/albums/y...psfoxtew54.mp4

i have push buttons ordered to over ride the door switch so lights wont come on when im hunting and the second to turn the light on with the doors closed.
Retired1, Fairmont79 and Sockman like this.

Last edited by admin; 07-18-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Work around for PB links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Looks great!

Martin

2011 Arctic Cat Prowler HDX700 (bought used)
3,200 mi 401 hours
King Shocks
SnowEx V-Plow
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 AM

That looks pretty nice. Now if you want to get really fancy you can wire in a dome override switch like they have in cars. One that will allow you turn on the lights without opening the doors or deactivate the lights altogether.

I have a dome light in mine too but it just runs off of a single lighted button. I have no doors to act as a switch. Check out my thread for pictures: http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/me...hdx-700-a.html

'13 HDX 700 - Warn 3000 lb winch, AC low windshield, AC full vented windshield, AC two piece roof, AC VCX rear panel, AC Quick Connect 72" Plow

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks guys. its a fun side project that doesnt take much time but really pays off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I have a dome light in mine too but it just runs off of a single lighted button. I have no doors to act as a switch. Check out my thread for pictures: http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/me...hdx-700-a.html
thats crazy! i bought the same switch! i got the blue light and the white light options. blue to use as the door override and white as the master to turn it on with the doors closed. its smaller than i thought now that i see your pic of it installed... which is what i wanted... small. it is another week out though. its coming overseas. didnt realize it when i ordered it. i just saw the price at about 3 bucks a switch. i wanted it to be lit up at all times the key is on. from what i read in the schematics it should work.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_crazy View Post
thanks guys. its a fun side project that doesnt take much time but really pays off.

thats crazy! i bought the same switch! i got the blue light and the white light options. blue to use as the door override and white as the master to turn it on with the doors closed. its smaller than i thought now that i see your pic of it installed... which is what i wanted... small. it is another week out though. its coming overseas. didnt realize it when i ordered it. i just saw the price at about 3 bucks a switch. i wanted it to be lit up at all times the key is on. from what i read in the schematics it should work.
The switch comes with a schematic but it can be rather confusing to read. If you need help wiring it let me know. Also, the internals on the switch are not very heat resistant so be very careful soldering the connections. I actually fried my first switch when I desoldered a couple connections because they were not connected well and had to order a replacement. Also if you have help holding the wires while you are soldering that would be a great help because the pins are rather tiny.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:19 AM
Administrator

I used similar switches on hot rod projects, and we usually use the switch to complete the ground wire.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i have looked into a few setups but i settled on this one due to the fact its going to have mostly negative wires running. this should be the best in case wires rub through ect. no sparks or popped fuses. just lights coming on.
the schematic i drew up is pretty crude but it gives you the idea.

Stump426 likes this.

Last edited by admin; 07-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Very good drawing! Easy to understand.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 AM

Door switch override and master switch labels need to be swapped or the master switch will not work.. unless the master is an override on/off and the override switch keeps it from coming on.. just my take on it.

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_crazy View Post
i have looked into a few setups but i settled on this one due to the fact its going to have mostly negative wires running. this should be the best in case wires rub through ect. no sparks or popped fuses. just lights coming on.
the schematic i drew up is pretty crude but it gives you the idea.

This is the setup I like. weather the doors are on or off the lights are still functional and easy to use.

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt

Last edited by admin; 07-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement