Rear differential second failure - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Prowlertalk Help Desk Got ideas on how to improve the site or having problems on the site? We'd like to hear about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Rear differential second failure

Have a 2008 A/C prowler XTH1 650 cc green, where the second rear differential just failed. Bought it new from Babbits who say they do not warrant the items they sell. Could not get anybody at A/C service center answer the phone, due to "overload" of calls. Holding on over 20 minutes still no answer. Have read upon search on the diff issues, that they fail frequently and A/C should have had a recall due to poor workmanship, but they did not! Have hardly used the cat for the past year, never in 4WD and only on level roads!
Any help to resolve the issue would help!
p.s. Have not yet removed the diff to see what the damage is, but left rear axle shaft has moved away from diff box like the first time the orig. diff. failed and damaged the gears and inside that it could not be repaired.

2008 Artic Cat Prowler 650XT / Second Engine / Snorkel Air Intake / Canvas Sun Cover / 1900 lbs. Electric Winch / Lexan Windshield with Sun Visors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred View Post
Have a 2008 A/C prowler XTH1 650 cc green, where the second rear differential just failed. Bought it new from Babbits who say they do not warrant the items they sell. Could not get anybody at A/C service center answer the phone, due to "overload" of calls. Holding on over 20 minutes still no answer. Have read upon search on the diff issues, that they fail frequently and A/C should have had a recall due to poor workmanship, but they did not! Have hardly used the cat for the past year, never in 4WD and only on level roads!
Any help to resolve the issue would help!
p.s. Have not yet removed the diff to see what the damage is, but left rear axle shaft has moved away from diff box like the first time the orig. diff. failed and damaged the gears and inside that it could not be repaired.
Sorry to hear that Manfred! Did the rear gear fail, or did you just pop the axle out. Are both front, and rear gears a 4.0 gear set? 9 teeth on the pinion,36 on the ring gear. Gear from a 700 machine is a 3.6 gear set. Any mismatch will result in a major failure. Let us know ASAP!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Hello Fairmont - I drive the Cat now only in 2WD, since I replaced the rear rims with front ones and have same size tires all around. Easier for me to look after the tires with only one size, but no operation of 4WD!
I have the Cat stripped down for diff removal, but waiting for my mechanic to do it, he also installed this unit when the last one failed. Hope to see exactly what's up hopefully by weekend. The shaft on the driver side seems to have popped out of the diff, similar as the previous time, when disassembled showed severe rack & pinion failure. Not sure why the axle shaft popped out, I know L & R axles turn the same around curves and add stress to system for the lack of a limited slip diff! But this is known by the designers and should be save for the vehicle?!
Nice to hear from you, will keep you posted with the info. when I have it. With the wheel set-up I have and only using it in 2WD, is there perhaps a better diff I could install, may be a limited one? If so, what would it be? Cheers from Mexico, Manfred

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:57 AM
Administrator

I've popped axles out on mine, usually notice a puddle of gear lube on the floor before I realize the axle popped out. The only retainer on the axles is a small circlip. Not much to hold them in. I think on the front axles, they pop due to torque steer, seems like the right side usually. Turn the diff around on the rear, and it would be the left side. Just my thoughts. I replaced my front axles with the white collar ball/detent axle. No more axle popping! Pretty costly fix on the downside! These is a limited slip for the prowlers, look at 2008-2010 Prowler XTX models. The Turf Saver rearend. Be forewarned they are costly, and prone to failure! The rear starts to show failure at around 2,500-3,500 miles. It will start to slip. I had one in mine, and I removed it for snow plowing. I had almost 8,000 miles on mine, and it was still going strong! Fluke? I did change the gear lube 2-3 times a year, might or might not have helped! On a side note! We finally moved to AZ, got out of the cold winters!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

Last edited by Fairmont79; 01-23-2020 at 08:03 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, just got the diff out and as you describe it, the wire holding the axle in has failed and the axle moved out. The wire is still in the groove, but pushed in a bit. the serrations towards the axle end from the wire are worn away. Lucky me, there seems to be no damage to the gears and bearings, just the end of the failed axle is worn.
Aside of replacing all the seals and big o-ring, I have to get two new axle sets. Like to find out if there are any with a better arrangement than the wire at the axle ends. Like a circlip or similar. Any ideas what better axle shafts I can get and from where?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:27 AM
Administrator

The newer (2012, and up) use a ball detent axle retainer. These axles will not pop out! It involves pushing in on the axle while pulling out on the inner CV joint. Not sure on the inner splines but I'm thinking they would work. As far as I know, the Prowler inner CV on the rear only had two different splines. The Turf saver rear, and the more standard locked rear. I've found sets on ebay that feature the White Collar axles at reasonable prices, Powersports nation offers some used axles every now, and then. Another old trick was to put a small O-Ring on the axle, and then the cir-clip over that. Simple but effective. New axles are available through AC, but they are somewhat costly. Let me know if it works! Take care in BAJA!

Either - Dick or RD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:08 PM

Nothing to add in regards to your issue but must concur on Babbit's. What's gotten into them? I asked a simple question about an order and got an incredibly sarcastic response. I thought for a minute that I'd contacted 2wheelpros by mistake. I used to do my business with Babbit's but it's Partzilla now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement