Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

5 Things to Watch for When Buying a Used ATV

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·

Buying used is one of the best ways to get a good deal on a vehicle, especially an ATV. However, you can't be too careful. Here are some tips from our staff of experienced ATV buyers that can help you sort the peaches from the lemons.

You'll want to give the ATV's motor and electronics a thorough looking-over. Start with the engine oil -- visually inspect it for moisture, particles, and other things that shouldn't be there, and make sure that the color isn't too dark. You'll also want to get your nose in on the act by smelling the dipstick, to confirm that the oil doesn't give off a burnt odor.

Next, check the coolant -- you're looking for particles of oil in it. If you find them, it's a red flag.

Finally, confirm that all of the electronics -- headlights, tail lights, key switch, and engine shutoff -- are in working order.
Read more about the 5 Things to Watch for When Buying a Used ATV.

See less See more
#2 ·
So many units out there with low hours, and miles, but still need to know what you are getting.

#4 ·
I still haven't tried any mud (talking that deep sticky stuff!)! Don't plan on it either! I plan on another 10,000 miles on mine!

Reactions: de3
#5 ·
This is the first year I haven't went to a park with deep mud and I don't miss the cleanup afterwards! I can get enough mud just riding on some private ground by the Missouri River. I'm ready just to find some scenic trails to ride and hopefully get my wife more interested in trail riding.

Reactions: de3
#6 ·
That pretty much sums up our riding! We are fortunate in Michigan that there are so many secondary, and un-improved roads!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.