Project: Redneck Toy Hauler - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions Trucks, trailers, towing, and hauling discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Project: Redneck Toy Hauler

Ok...So don't judge me.

Since I cannot afford a $20,000+ toy hauler, I've decided to go the route of making my own. There's not too many toy haulers out there that offer room enough (as in height) to roll a Prowler into, even one chopped 4".

I found a beefy flatbed tandem axle trailer with a 6' x 17' deck for $800. I already had a small 1981 Rough Rider pickup camper which I had picked up for $500.

Concept: mount the pickup camper on the front of the trailer. Build storage skirts around with that are accessable from inside the camper and outside. Refinish the deck and paint the camper as well as the metal trim of the trailer.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
de3
Loyal Member

looks like a plan to me....................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Everything seems to fit nice! Now it's time to start the fabrication of storage on each side and beautifying the thing to make it presentable.

Storage:
Going to use angle iron to build a box from under each side under the camper to bring it flush with the side of the trailer. This will add stability to the camper itself as well as add a tough frame to mount the plywood to. Going to be two outside access doors on each side.

Front:
Once the storage areas are built, I am going to install a full sheet of diamond plating to the front for a rock sheild. Also going to install a plate for two propane tanks to eliminate the 2 gal tank on the side which can be used for more storage.

Deck:
Thinking Herculiner for traction and durability. Also going to redo the fenders a bit and add sheet metal to the inside of the fendes for additional splash protection. Also going to make short bang boards that will extend from the back of the camper to the rear of the flatbed portion. All removable of course. The deck will serve as a dining area. Going to also make longer poles for the rear that we can extend an awning from the camper to the back of the trailer for shade.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Thats one heck of a good Idea man! maybe I'm a bit of a redneck but that will make one heck of a nice trailer! a LOT cheaper and lots of room for the Cat.. cheers man, can't wait to see the finished product.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Great idea, and you can't beat the bang for the buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for sharing!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I wanted to relieve my truck of some of the weight in the ass and dropping that 900 lb camper onto a tandem axel trailer did just that and my daughters quad fits nice and snug in the bed of my truck. Fully set up, it'll probably work the 4.7L V8 in my Dakota a bit, but I'll still be under the 5500lb limit my truck is rated for.

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM

good call! thanks for sharing!

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
good call! thanks for sharing!
Buddy thats how we do it here in WVA. have you seen the show on MTV called BUCKWILD.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 PM

I've never seen Buckwild but me and a bunch of us were just talking about building some sort of toy hauler and we were checking out this rig and saying good idea! coincidence I guess!!

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I thought it was a pretty good idea too. My wife thinks it looks a bit gaudy, but she lacks my "vision" for a final product. lol. I think once I get the storage areas all framed off and finished, it will look much better. I pretty much got the thumbs up after I showed her how much money it will save as opposed to buying a manufactured one.

I'm glad she agreed to it too, because I absolutely hated loading and unloading that thing with those shaky, old-fashioned hand crank trailer jacks. lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement