Best Trailer Deck Paint, etc - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions Trucks, trailers, towing, and hauling discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Best Trailer Deck Paint, etc

I'm looking to repaint the back deck of my trailer and have been looking to find a great, long-lasting coating that will be durable enough to withstand weather (we get all 4 seasons here) and abuse. My flatbed trailer is lumber, not plywood. So far, I've looked into the following:

1) Truck bed liner: Rust-oleum, Rhino Liner, Linex etc. I've read mixed reviews.
Pros: adds a nice, anti-skid coating and withstands weather.
Cons: Some say theyve had problems with it flaking badly over time.

2) Rust-Oleum Epoxy Sheild:
Pros: Tough as nails, oil and stain resistant
Cons: Read a lot of arcticles where guys have painted wood with it and had a lot of feedback from others on the threads saying it will crack and chip as it is too hard and won't handle the flex in trailers. Problem is, nobody that did it actually followed up on their post to say how well it was holding up.

3) Valspar Duramax exterior paint:
Pros: much cheaper than either of the above options. Rolls on well. Weather resistant and you can add silicone sand to give it some anti-skid.
Cons: Durability. I've never had a deck paint last more than 1-2 seasons even using the expensive stuff.

I've also been kicking around the idea of just cutting some good outdoor plywood and screwing it down over the deck. This will give me a good, clean surface to roll on some Epoxy Sheild and a much smoother surface to use the deck as a patio for my table and chairs. I've used it in my garage and the stuff is amazing.

Thoughts? Ideas?

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Loyal Member

IMHO not much will work .. it's wood and open to Ma Nature , and once you start doing the painting you'll never be able to stop as it will look like hell

another issue is the bottom side and also rot from the bottom , and it allows moisture in so the top won't stick well for long .. I have used Linseed Oil and diesel mixed 2 to 1 mix [2 being linseed] .. but that won't work for you as it will track inside and smells like crapola

our northern climate isn't conducive to flat surface wood and paint /sealers as you know .... maybe a better idea would be armor plate aluminum and replace the rotted wood under the plate when ya need to ??

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 04-06-2013 at 09:00 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
IMHO not much will work .. it's wood and open to Ma Nature , and once you start doing the painting you'll never be able to stop as it will look like hell

another issue is the bottom side and also rot from the bottom , and it allows moisture in so the top won't stick well for long .. I have used Linseed Oil and diesel mixed 2 to 1 mix [2 being linseed] .. but that won't work for you as it will track inside and smells like crapola

our northern climate isn't conducive to flat surface wood and paint /sealers as you know .... maybe a better idea would be armor plate aluminum and replace the rotted wood under the plate when ya need to ??
I have a buddy of mine that paints his trailer floor,It dont last very long.my trailer has 2x8s for the floor,I just paint it with cheap motor oil once a year.you will also track it in your camper.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Have you seen a product called restore ? Its kind of like rhino lining for wood.
Home Depot & Lowes have it. Kind of spendy. But if you dont have to do it again
it might be worth it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM

Al's Liner, I am going to try it on my Pontoon Boat w/PT Decking instead of that crappy outdoor carpet. May have to still wait a bit because there is still snow on the ground here...

Tim

2010 A/C XTZ with some "Stuff" SOLD
But still here everyday to contribute to the cause
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

...I agree it's wood exposed to the elements. I just use treated lumber and the wood outlast the bolts that hold it, guess I could use stainless bolts , but regular bolts are fine with me.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

After doing some more research, I'm going to try that Rust-oleum RESTORE. Turns out, it's the same stuff my youngest brother did his deck with at his house on Whidbey Island. Has held up really well to the elements and heavy traffic. Roots Rents has industrial deck sanders for $39/day so I'll pick up one to sand the surface down a bit to smooth out the surface and remove the oil and grime. Also, all the consumer reviews have been very positive about it. Gonna pick up a 3 gal bucket of it ($89) which is rated for 100 sq/ft.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic19 View Post
After doing some more research, I'm going to try that Rust-oleum RESTORE. Turns out, it's the same stuff my youngest brother did his deck with at his house on Whidbey Island. Has held up really well to the elements and heavy traffic. Roots Rents has industrial deck sanders for $39/day so I'll pick up one to sand the surface down a bit to smooth out the surface and remove the oil and grime. Also, all the consumer reviews have been very positive about it. Gonna pick up a 3 gal bucket of it ($89) which is rated for 100 sq/ft.
Rust-oleum makes some very good products.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Loyal Member

hope it works out for you , keep us posted on it. eventually I'll have to redo the deck on my 25' gooseneck trailer and would like to find a good product also. but I'll have to wait til I replace the wood as it's got several coats of the linseed/diesel mix and am sure nothing will stick to that as it's in the wood fiber now

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
hope it works out for you , keep us posted on it. eventually I'll have to redo the deck on my 25' gooseneck trailer and would like to find a good product also. but I'll have to wait til I replace the wood as it's got several coats of the linseed/diesel mix and am sure nothing will stick to that as it's in the wood fiber now
Gary,how long did your floor last using your mix and was your floor treated lumber.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement