Air Tools for the Road - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions Trucks, trailers, towing, and hauling discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Air Tools for the Road

I've decided to mount a 40 CF Nitrogen Tank on my trailer. It will be used for my impact, and other air tools when we are on the road. I already have the cylinders needed, just need a regulator. 40 CF should be big enough for this purpose, and if not I'll go up to an 80 CF bottle. When we were at H&M Trails and my fixed plate came off, I only had hand tools. Not sure I could have tightened the nut by hand. Can also fill tires if needed! What do you guy's think? Pro's and Con's welcomed. Thanks RD

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 AM

Love the idea of having power tools with me on my out door adventures. But I don't haul mine hardly any where. I ride mine to which ever riding spot we decide to go.

Pros -
you'd have tool
Nitrogen expands and contracts less compared to air for tire pressure purposes
The air tools would be quiet while running

Cons -
Buying a lifetime tank lease $$$
Finding a refill station near your broke down unit of you run out
Refilling in general $$$$
Possibly not enough pressure to tighten high torque nuts and bolts.

Have you thought about a gas powered air compressor?

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Good Points! Thanks Chaz. I own three 40 CF Compressed Tanks now that are set for Argon, or Nitrogen use. I would carry two bottles on the road, and 50 feet of air hose with quick connect fittings. Just not sure how much nitrogen I would use with my impact per bolt/nut. I'm only concerned with the high torque nuts - primary, and secondary, plus wet clutch nut. I carry a battery powered impact for everything else. I think this plan will work for me, but will test at home before I get fully committed!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Good Points! Thanks Chaz. I own three 40 CF Compressed Tanks now that are set for Argon, or Nitrogen use. I would carry two bottles on the road, and 50 feet of air hose with quick connect fittings. Just not sure how much nitrogen I would use with my impact per bolt/nut. I'm only concerned with the high torque nuts - primary, and secondary, plus wet clutch nut. I carry a battery powered impact for everything else. I think this plan will work for me, but will test at home before I get fully committed!
Great Idea RD one of us might need it up in NH next year.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

The way we have been hitting the roads, I hate the idea of not being able to work on anything major because of the lack of tools. My spare parts bins have almost everything I would need for repair. I'll bring it to NH, but we will not need it! Cabin is reserved, I'll get you the information.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
The way we have been hitting the roads, I hate the idea of not being able to work on anything major because of the lack of tools. My spare parts bins have almost everything I would need for repair. I'll bring it to NH, but we will not need it! Cabin is reserved, I'll get you the information.
I think I started something about the ride on the Hatfields and McCoys ride.I will change it to up north..............

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sounds Good!

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

I researched air tools, and they are using CO2 to power them. I have a 40 CFM Aluminum cylinder full sitting in the garage for my wire feed! Just need a regulator and the project is ready for the road! Plan on putting it on a cross bed tool box. Need the box for travel, as now we put everything in the back seat area of my truck. Going to test it this week when I change rollers for snow plowing! Going lighter, so RPM's are up.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Loyal Member

ever think about onboard air for the truck

1.power air tools
2.fill tires
3.loud ass train or air horns
4.low costs if using a reclaimed air conditioner compressor [many online sites for info n plans]
5. hell millions of uses

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:06 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
I researched air tools, and they are using CO2 to power them. I have a 40 CFM Aluminum cylinder full sitting in the garage for my wire feed! Just need a regulator and the project is ready for the road! Plan on putting it on a cross bed tool box. Need the box for travel, as now we put everything in the back seat area of my truck. Going to test it this week when I change rollers for snow plowing! Going lighter, so RPM's are up.
do you think your 25 gram rollers are to heavy for shoving snow..........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement