Dirt Riot Race Cortez CO - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
UTV Desert Racing Discussions pertaining to UTV desert racing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Dirt Riot Race Cortez CO

Went to the Dirt Riot Race in Colorado last weekend, was having a good race. I was leading two Wildcats with my Prowler, had some good lap times being laid down...but then an overdose of adrenalin caused the right foot to apply a slight amount of excessive pressure on the go-pedal and somehow the car overshot a roller hill and slammed the next hill... broke one wheel, ripped a-arms out of their mounts, tweaked the frame and launched us airborne again where we proceeded to take out a tree.. then, thinking I could still race, I backed out of the tree, tried to drive forward and only made it about 20ft..then the car slid over to the edge of the course and almost down a steep embankment (50ft to the bottom).. so I climbed out of the car to see what the damage was, then slipped while getting out, inverted and tumbled down the hill (sure wished someone would've been filming, it would win America's Funniest Home Videos). After making my way back up the hill, I realized the car was toast... My daughter and I walked the 2 miles back into the pits and had to wait till later in the day when we could get a big rock crawler to go drag my car out of the hills....

But the story doesn't end there....

We finally got the car loaded on the trailer and were heading home... McElmo Canyon in Colorado is a beautiful canyon,,,very scenic...guess the deer think it's a great place to hang out too...
Out of the tall grass on the side of the road jumped a 2point buck... right into the grill of the truck...
Everyone is okay (except for the deer, I don't think he could be saved, he was pretty mangled..)

So how was your weekend? Mine was fun, but not sure I want a repeat...
The race promoter just called me to make sure everyone was okay...they are thinking about starting a new award for their race series for the person that has the worst luck... it'll be called the Dunlap Hardluck Award... LOL

But Todd Stephensen in a Wildcat did take 1st and Brian Rector(?) took second in a Wildcat..so Arctic Cat did make a good showing.. Todd even went out and was passing 4500 and 4600 Mod Jeeps in the next race...
I will say, if you ever get a chance to run a Dirt Riot Race, do it, they are a blast... Rich does a great job of putting together a fun event..

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Loyal Member

Wholly shit Darryl. First I am glad you are alright from both incidents. Your Prowler took a beating there. The Chevy got hit hard as well. You can just write this day off in your memory book cause that's purely bad luck right there. If I were you I would go play the lottery today since you survived these two wrecks it might be time for some luck to be on your side. In all honesty I am glad you didn't get injured from this. The toys and trucks can be fixed. Did the Turner axles hold up?

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
ProwlerTalk.net Site Sponsor

WOW, Darryl. I saw some of the photos on facebook but didn't see the story. Glad to hear you are OK.

That looks like quite a mess. It is amazing the damage a deer or elk can do. I had a friend hit an elk on the way to one of our Moab trips. Luckily they were able to still drive afterward. Unfortunately the elk did not make it.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Todd, the Turners did great, even the axles I modified for the front were holding..car was doing great, this was totally my fault, just got too throttle happy. The folks in the pits said I was flying. I just got on the throttle too hard over a blind hill and wham...
But I will tell you, Turner Cycle's Evo Axles are the shizzzznit boys... totally awesome, rad and all those other cool things the big boys say.

Yeah, that day was totally messed up. But I still had fun...

But I'll be up and running before long... and since it looks like I'm not going to make any BITD races, it's time for this machine to go Full Tilt into the Unlimited Class...stay tuned for a new, and I mean entirely new front end on this car... we are chopping the frame rails off at the footwall and installing a narrow front with long arms... ala the Wildcat... that should solve the front travel problems.. and we are going to relocate the rear arm mounts for more strength and more wheelbase...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Loyal Member

Man Darryl Im sorry for what happened to you,Glad you are ok and will race again!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Rides all the time

Man, glad everyone is ok. At least you get to work on a new build now.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Founding Member

Wow sounds like a crazy weekend I am glad you are ok. Keep us in the loop with your build repairs.
Go team PROWLER NATION

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Rides all the time

When it rains it pours.

Glad you and your Daughter are OK.

Thanks for sharing your story
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Darryl is that you pictured in the KOH article in this months Utv offroad mag?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
Darryl is that you pictured in the KOH article in this months Utv offroad mag?
Yes, it is. We broke 3 axles in that race. But we now have Turner Cycle Evo Axles in the back that are doing great.
We plan on being at KOH again in 2013.

TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement