Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend went on several long rides with no problems then, Saturday afternoon my 06 started quitting every 1/4 to 1/2 mi, would always start back up. My 06 Prowler is all stock except for my carb which I replaced with a Mikuni pumper & put in a low mileage 07 engine (complete) a couple weeks ago. I replaced my inline fuel filter, I have a electric fuel pump inline & the engine quits with either the vacuum pump or the electric pump running. Pulled all fuses & put back in checking for connection, checked all electrical connections to make sure the were still connected. Not sure where to start checking, any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Seth/Todd thanks for your time & efforts in all you have done for this site, I don't chat often but I check/read almost daily. de3 thank you for making yourself available and being available to help keep this great site going.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Over the weekend went on several long rides with no problems then, Saturday afternoon my 06 started quitting every 1/4 to 1/2 mi, would always start back up. My 06 Prowler is all stock except for my carb which I replaced with a Mikuni pumper & put in a low mileage 07 engine (complete) a couple weeks ago. I replaced my inline fuel filter, I have a electric fuel pump inline & the engine quits with either the vacuum pump or the electric pump running. Pulled all fuses & put back in checking for connection, checked all electrical connections to make sure the were still connected. Not sure where to start checking, any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Seth/Todd thanks for your time & efforts in all you have done for this site, I don't chat often but I check/read almost daily. de3 thank you for making yourself available and being available to help keep this great site going.
Thanks for your comments,your problem kinda stumps me,since you rode it all day with no problems I don't think it would have started vapor locking,I run the same carb but haven't had that problem,could be a electrical component getting hot and breaking down.how long does it take for the engine to shut down when the motor is started the next day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold yesterday morning ran about 1/4 mi before shutting off, 8 hrs later when unloading about 3/8 mi. I am thinking it has to be electrical. Saturday when it started quitting I removed engine cover & drove around. Inline fuel filter is clear & stayed full of fuel. I could not find a hot wire/connector when it would shut down.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Cold yesterday morning ran about 1/4 mi before shutting off, 8 hrs later when unloading about 3/8 mi. I am thinking it has to be electrical. Saturday when it started quitting I removed engine cover & drove around. Inline fuel filter is clear & stayed full of fuel. I could not find a hot wire/connector when it would shut down.
Yes I would say it is electrical,Maybe cdi.????????????

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I've been looking through the service manual for my '07 and here are some of the trouble shooting things it has.

Electrical Section:
Problem: Spark absent or weak
Condition/ Remedy
1. Ignition coil defective 1. Replace ignition coil
2. Spark plug defective 2. Replace plug
3. Magneto defective 3. Replace magneto
4. CDI unit defective 4. Replace CDI unit
5. Pick-up coil defective 5. Replace pick-up coil

Engine Section

Problem: Engine stalls easily
Condition/ Remedy
1. Spark plug fouled 1. Clean - replace plug
2. Magneto defective 2. Replace magneto
3. CDI unit defective 3. Replace CDI unit
4. Carburetor jets obstructed 4. Clean jets
5. Valve clearance out of adjustment 5. Adjust clearance

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
You said you couldn't find a hot wire when it shut down is all electrical quitting including headlights?

Reactions: de3

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
You said you couldn't find a hot wire when it shut down is all electrical quitting including headlights?
I would say it's the CDI or COIL.Something is breaking down when it gets hot./Good Info mike.:)

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I had an old Suzuki motorcycle that seemed foul plugs every month, it would get hot and shut down until it cooled. I think I pushed that thing more than I rode it, I was 15 then damn that was a long time ago!

Hope you find your problem soon I'm sure someone here has an idea what could be causing it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday evening I changed plug, I started prowler & let idle for about 1.5 hours and it was ok, took for test drive & went 1/4 mile & quit. Started right back up. this morning I started went for a test drive after 1/4 mile quit. Started back up went back home & let idle for 45 minutes. So it appears that it only quits while driving. I put a jumper wire across the start switch to make sure it was not losing power to the ignition thru the ignition switch (Thought I should check the ignition switch as I just changed it out before the 4th). Does the additional info give anyone any new ideas. I have a spare coil & cdi box if the 07 cdi box is the same as the 06, guess I will switch them out one at a time and see what happens. Thanks to all for your ideas & suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yesterday evening I changed plug, I started prowler & let idle for about 1.5 hours and it was ok, took for test drive & went 1/4 mile & quit. Started right back up. this morning I started went for a test drive after 1/4 mile quit. Started back up went back home & let idle for 45 minutes. So it appears that it only quits while driving. I put a jumper wire across the start switch to make sure it was not losing power to the ignition thru the ignition switch (Thought I should check the ignition switch as I just changed it out before the 4th). Does the additional info give anyone any new ideas. I have a spare coil & cdi box if the 07 cdi box is the same as the 06, guess I will switch them out one at a time and see what happens. Thanks to all for your ideas & suggestions.
The 07 cdi will work,try that sounds like a loose connection if it only does it when moving.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It sounds like fuel to me. The first thing I would check is the vent on the tank. I've seen them plugged up. you can also loosen the gas cap the next time it does it. That's an easy check. just a thought!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
It sounds like fuel to me. The first thing I would check is the vent on the tank. I've seen them plugged up. you can also loosen the gas cap the next time it does it. That's an easy check. just a thought!
Yea that sounds like something to try.like you said it's a easy check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I'll check the vent, I have a inline fuel pump & it is returning fuel to filler neck(installed return line for Mikuni carb) when the engine quits. Clear filter stays full of fuel. I have now changed inline gas filter, put a jumper wire from battery to cdi ignition feed, replaced cdi box, replaced coil, replaced plug, placed jumper wire from cdi box to coil & put stock carb back on. Nothing has stopped the quiting. It always runs to within 100' of the same place when quitting. I am getting a "E" code sometimes when it dies & I try to restart. It has me puzzled I think I have covered everything over the weekend but nothing changes, it will set & idle forever without quitting.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks, I'll check the vent, I have a inline fuel pump & it is returning fuel to filler neck(installed return line for Mikuni carb) when the engine quits. Clear filter stays full of fuel. I have now changed inline gas filter, put a jumper wire from battery to cdi ignition feed, replaced cdi box, replaced coil, replaced plug, placed jumper wire from cdi box to coil & put stock carb back on. Nothing has stopped the quiting. It always runs to within 100' of the same place when quitting. I am getting a "E" code sometimes when it dies & I try to restart. It has me puzzled I think I have covered everything over the weekend but nothing changes, it will set & idle forever without quitting.
We know its not the carb now,sounds like you have covered all the bases,I think if your vent line was plugged it wouldn't sit there and Idle.I have never seen the E come up on mine,maybe one of the other members have,I had to run a return back to the filler neck also.What's strange is that it quits darn near the same place.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I did a search and found a person who had a similar problem and displayed the "E" his was on a EFI quad 700 model here's his problem and the solution. I'll keep searching just thought I would throw this out for thought.

I warmed it up and let E code display. Increased the throtel and it began to miss and sputter. While it was running, I began moving the wiring to the gear shift switch and the E code returned to N. I reved the engine and it sounded great. No problem. If I moved the wire again the E would re-appear and the engine would sputter when reved. As you pointed out, I probably have a broken wire between the connetor and the gear postion indicating sensor. Engine was too hot at this point to work on and I was short on time. My next move is to buy the gear postion indicating sensor and wire to the connector, although they appear to be one part. Any suggestions on where to purchase one? Thanks again!

Solution:
Problem solved! After replacing the gear position switch, it is running great. Took hours to replace because my hands were too big to reach into the confined area under the exhaust. I am thankful for my 11 year old son who was able to get his hand in and turn the bolts.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I did a search and found a person who had a similar problem and displayed the "E" his was on a EFI quad 700 model here's his problem and the solution. I'll keep searching just thought I would throw this out for thought.

I warmed it up and let E code display. Increased the throtel and it began to miss and sputter. While it was running, I began moving the wiring to the gear shift switch and the E code returned to N. I reved the engine and it sounded great. No problem. If I moved the wire again the E would re-appear and the engine would sputter when reved. As you pointed out, I probably have a broken wire between the connetor and the gear postion indicating sensor. Engine was too hot at this point to work on and I was short on time. My next move is to buy the gear postion indicating sensor and wire to the connector, although they appear to be one part. Any suggestions on where to purchase one? Thanks again!

Solution:
Problem solved! After replacing the gear position switch, it is running great. Took hours to replace because my hands were too big to reach into the confined area under the exhaust. I am thankful for my 11 year old son who was able to get his hand in and turn the bolts.
GREAT info mike.You might try that Dusty.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I've seen the "E" come up on mine when the shifter wasn't engaged all the way. I know ours has a sensor behind the clutch housing I think.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Here's what it looks like, one of the few things I have left of my old engine.
2013-07-15 18.31.53.jpg 2013-07-15 18.32.12.jpg 2013-07-15 18.32.28.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
At Idle a partially plugged vent might keep up. When your foots in it, it wont. After it sits for awhile, the air will slowly return to the tank, letting the process start all over again. You will still see fuel in the filter, but that doesn't mean its flowing (enough). I spent hours chasing this before, and was relieved and felt stupid at the same time! all in all its easy to check. The vent line is under the passenger seat....mine had mud in it! Good luck,,,,

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts