Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this?
It was suggested by a dealer and they get around $200 for the repair.
The original owner tells me it has never been replaced and it now has 2700 miles on it.
Is this something that the average backyard mechanic can tackle easily or is it worth the 2 bills?

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Are you talking about the oil pump itself or the sprocket gear that mounts on it? Either way, they are pretty easy to replace. I'm almost done putting my 650 motor back together after replacing the bevel gears with new straight ones. I took A LOT of pictures during breaking down the motor as this was my first time. The maintenance manual is a really good source if you can download it, and you can contact me and I can help you with any questions or some pictures if you want......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go for it! I put a stator in my AC 375 last year and it was a piece of cake. These motors are preaty easy to work on. Or at least a lot easier to work on than a 12 liter desiel and a hell of lot lighter.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I' m told its just a gear and it is easily replacable when doing a clutch job. Unfortunately the original owner had a race shop familiar with Rhinos do the clutch and belt and they never mentioned the $15-$20 gear.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You could always add a little insurance and do the straight cut bevel gears while you are in that far.:D Don't get me wrong, it is more work as you have to take off the top end, take off the right side of the motor, and you will basically already have the left side close to off if you are doing the oil pump. Just something to think about..............

·
Registered
10 Posts
not hard at all you will need a very good impact the nut on the wet clutch is ON THERE and left handed when you order the gear get 2 OR 3 retaining clips also be carful of the housing gasket the the center bottom is very thin

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd be more inclined to do the bevel gears before the oil pump gear. Although if either fail they can finish your engine off in a hurry. If you're concerned about oil pump failure, perhaps installing an oil pressure gauge would give you piece of mind without biting into your wallet too hard. I don't think the failure of the oil gear would cause immediate mechanical damage (unless of course the loss of oil pressure kills you before the gear failure is noticed).

Different story for the bevel gear, if it goes, it can take most of the engine with it!! No warning!! :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd be more inclined to do the bevel gears before the oil pump gear. Although if either fail they can finish your engine off in a hurry. If you're concerned about oil pump failure, perhaps installing an oil pressure gauge would give you piece of mind without biting into your wallet too hard. I don't think the failure of the oil gear would cause immediate mechanical damage (unless of course the loss of oil pressure kills you before the gear failure is noticed).

Different story for the bevel gear, if it goes, it can take most of the engine with it!! No warning!! :(

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

I know first hand on the bevels. I bought my '06 Prowler broken from a friend. I haven't even put a mile on the thing yet. I'm just about done putting the motor back together after replacing the bevel gears. However, when I went in there to replace the broken bevels, I found that the case was cracked and the through shaft was bent. Fortunately I found a used set of cases for cheaper than $1000 (price of new cases). So when the old style bevels go, it can really do a number on things.......

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
were these "old style" bevel gears in the 2008s? i havent pulled my mill apart yet but im trying to figure out what killed it.
I thought I read somewhere that the new style bevel gears didn't get installed until the 2009's....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts