Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Arctic Cat and so far have mixed feelings... Leaking fuel out of overflow on bottom of carb. I cleaned the carb "several times" and polished the seat. new fuel needle. I broke down and purchased a new carb.Ran gas into clear bottle,nothing in tank. Any ideas...SAME PROBLEM

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
carb

welcome aboard,on the factory carb the only way fuel can come out of the float bowl hose is to loosen the screw where the hose hooks to the nipple on float bowl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually there is an overflow tube in the bowl itself and I think thats where it is coming from. With the bowl off and the drain closed you can blow air through the tube and out the drain port. Not sure why it will not seal off. The old carb was doing the exact same thing. Could the fuel pump be causing it? Just thinking out loud

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
carb

Rodney,the only thing i can think of is the fuel pump,i just cant imagine why two different carbs would leak.thats one problem that i have not heard of on here. did you buy the prowler with the carb leaking. how does it run. the only way it could be the fuel pump is that its pumping to much pressure,like someone put a high pressure pump on it.someone will chime in and help out. when i was running a stock carb i had the float bowl off 20 or 25 times re-jetting never had carb to leak or flood out.did you buy a brand new carb.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My 08 650 drained all the fuel out of the carb when in Utah, the drain was tight, the overflow tube was tight and in place.

I just folded the drain tube in half and zip tied it shut, finished our vacation and it ran like a champ. Never did figure out why it started draining like that before I traded on a XTZ

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My carb kept draining out of the overflow as well despite going in and blowing everything out. Finally this last time I installed a new needle and adjusted the float. Knock on wood, but no more leaks so far. Check what your float is adjusted at, and adjust as needed (although odd to be doing exactly the same on two different carbs, but your float height needs to be checked). You already have a new needle. So you should be good there.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
thats what i thought shane, thats odd for two carbs to do that,thats why i ask him if the second carb was new. i will pm you on the second air filter i went over and looked at the new ones.Triple J I rember you doing that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course when I purchased it from an individual there was no mention of the leak. The unit runs great just running it normal but at low speed it hesitates and sputters sometimes. Then is when you will notice the fuel leaking on the starter out of the overflow.
On the old carb I adjusted the float as far out as I could and the unit still ran and even then it would leak. I have not adjusted the new float on the new carb but will check the height.
Thanks to everyone for the post..this site is awesome!!!
I am meeting a buddy of mine today that has a really good mechanic working at his shop and we are going to tear into it. I will post the results.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Of course when I purchased it from an individual there was no mention of the leak. The unit runs great just running it normal but at low speed it hesitates and sputters sometimes. Then is when you will notice the fuel leaking on the starter out of the overflow.
On the old carb I adjusted the float as far out as I could and the unit still ran and even then it would leak. I have not adjusted the new float on the new carb but will check the height.
Thanks to everyone for the post..this site is awesome!!!
I am meeting a buddy of mine today that has a really good mechanic working at his shop and we are going to tear into it. I will post the results.
Welcome to the site. Only thing I could think of is float needle not sealing for whatever reason, any chance float has pin hole in it?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I wish i knew you before you bought the second carb,I have one with 500 miles on it and looks like brand new with new choke and extra choke and a bunch of jets.but might be sold but not sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts