Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our Prowler out last weekend and it ran smooth and had normal power levels on level ground and running down hill. On the longer uphill slopes, not very steep, in high, it would loose power and act like it was running out of gas. Does anyone have any insite? We were running from 6000 to 7500 feet altitude.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has the original jets.
I live at 6000 feet and the problem is slowly getting worse. We rode at Mammoth a month ago and it did not seem to have as much problem with the incline.
Do I have to pull the tank to get to the screen in the tank, or is there an easy way to access? Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
At 6500-8500 ft, with a 36mm CVK carb, you should be running a 132 main jet, 1 3/8 turns out on the pilot screw and remove 2 rollers from the drive pulley.
Try that and let us know how it runs.
Stock set-up (0-4500 ft) is a 135 main, 2 1/4 turns out on the pilot and 8 blue rollers
cheers

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
If the problem is getting worse you have other issues than jetting. If you look at the top of the tank under the passenger seat you will see what you have to remove to check the pick up. If that is good I would check fuel delivery after the pump. Also might want to check the tank vent to make sure it is not plugged with anything. Next if all that checks out maybe time to clean the carb out. Jets and passage ways. Valve adjustment? Would install fuel filter if you don't already have one on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tomorrow I will check the fuel screen and all lines to the carb.
I am not familiar with the rollers and drive pully. I will have to look that up in the Shop Manual when I get it down loaded from this site. What a bonus!
When I change out the jet, will it still run normal at sea level? I have a place in Baja and ride alot at or around sea level too. If not, I guess I will be changing jets alot. Fuel injection would be nice.
Again, thanks for all the information. Tomorrow I will get to work.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The biggest bummer is from no air at those altitudes. The jetting will not make up for the power lost from no air. It will help but not as much as you would hope for. If it was me I would not mess with it. It is not worth it for what you will gain in a 650. You will loose roughly 1-2 % for every thousand you go above see level. So for example going from 1500 in Phoenix to 7500 in Flagstaff you will be down 6-12 %.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, thanks for the responses.
I pulled the tank filter and found it dirty. I removed it and installed a inline filter. Then I cleaned the carb jets and installed a new spark plug. It seems to run alot better now.
When I had the fuel gauge sensor assembly out I noticed the sensor was dirty. I cleaned it and now my fuel gauge reads like it is suppose to.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
First of all, thanks for the responses.
I pulled the tank filter and found it dirty. I removed it and installed a inline filter. Then I cleaned the carb jets and installed a new spark plug. It seems to run alot better now.
When I had the fuel gauge sensor assembly out I noticed the sensor was dirty. I cleaned it and now my fuel gauge reads like it is suppose to.
What kind of fuel filter did you go with?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Be sure you are not leaving old fuel in the tank. Mix some race gas or fuel stabil in the tank if you intend on letting it sit for some time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used an automotive metal inline filter. It is thin enough to fit under the seat pan without the fuel line touching the coolant line. I was going to use a glass filter with the replaceable inserts but decided the metal filter would be undestructable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that my Prowler is up here in the US, not sitting in my garage in Baja, I use it alot more. I figure the mexican gas along with sitting 4 months at a time might have caused my problems. That varnish seems to build up even using stabil.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts