Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 650 XT That has a bad crankshaft/rod bearing so I'm looking for another crank assembly.
Can the bearing be replaced? Can I send the crank out to be rebuilt? Hate to spend the money on a new crank cause I need it to last at least another Year before I get another sxs.
Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house ... there will be some fellers with single cylinder experience along shortly

fill in you signature line so down the road when you ask something we'll not have to reply with a question as to what ya have bla bla bla [just saves a lil back n forth]

new guy gets to brew morning coffee and bring in a load of wood for the fire pit so that's you :) again welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! Coffee is brewed and the stove is warm!

Currently I barter my mechanical skills to my neighboring ranches for cash and use of there equipment. This particular prowler is a 08 650 XT and it is used on a large cattle ranch and is used hard. 350 hours ago (last summer) I rebuilt the tranny cause the final drive gear bearing went out which I think is a weak link of the whole engine/tranny.

Now it's the rod bearing on the crank and by the looks of all the junk on the pick up screen it looks like the bearing is a needle bearing set up. Called Arctic Cat and they said the crank/rod is sold as "one unit" and nothing on ebay except junk. There is one on ebay that is a reman crank for not much cheaper then a new one but still for a beater SXS the ranch owner needs to make it last another year.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome friend! Prowlers are hard to find parts for! For a rebuilt Crankshaft and rod assembly try MrCrankshaft ATV Crankshaft repair site., few places rebuild this assembly, but they maybe able to help!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Checked on mrcrankshaft.com, and found that someone had generated a rip off report back in 2013. Not sure about the outcome on the report. I've spoken with them, and they seemed to have a great deal of knowledge on crankshaft repairs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've contacted mrcrankshaft.com and sent pictures of the crank. Now waiting for price. He's thinking about 3 bills which I think is still high but we'll wait and see what he says after reviewing the pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've contacted mrcrankshaft.com and sent pictures of the crank. Now waiting for price. He's thinking about 3 bills which I think is still high but we'll wait and see what he says after reviewing the pictures.
mrcrankshaft.com can do it. Labor, rod kit and shipping for 280.00

Now I just have to take the case half to the Arctic Cat dealer to have them remove the stator to pull the crank and send it off.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Keep us informed! We are a curious bunch! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site! Good luck on the repairs, am I too late for coffee or is it time for something a little stronger? ;)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
nice OLD single malt for me please

we'll be watching for progress ... pic's are also a requirement around here as we are also a visual bunch [believe that is a guy thing LOL ]

if you can't post do to site requirements send to one who knows how and they will post for you [uhh that would not be me BTW as this old fart hasn't figured out how yet]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's cold outside this morning so come on in and sit a while. The coffee in done and the stove is warm

The history of this prowler was that 3 years ago they ran it out of oil so they had the dealer install a new motor.

Last year when I came on the scene the final drive gear bearing went out so I repaired it but during the rebuild I found some scaring on one side of the cylinder that you could feel with the touch of your fingers rubbing across them so I reused the cylinder anyways and just installed new piston rings and it ran good for next 350 hours.

This time around when the crank/rod bearings went out I noticed during the tare down that the cam shaft wear on the head and cover show signs of oil starvation.

So I'm thinking that during the last 350 hours they never had me change the oil and filter which doesn't help and I'm sure they beat this thing to death chasing bulls and cows at wide open throttle over the worst terrain for long periods of time, Plus it's a pain in the a$$ for these cowboys to pull the cover off to check the oil once in a while.

The engine never smoked or had major oil leaks but still lack of maintenance and maybe some oil leaking past the valve guide seals, piston rings and maybe oil seepage from a gasket or two all add up to running low on oil.

So I have a few ideas to maybe fix these problems. First I think I could cut a hole in the engine cover to make it easier for the operator to ck the oil. #2, install a oil presser gauge. #3 bring it in for more maintenance instead of waiting for it to brake down.

And the 4th idea I like to do is hook up a low oil pressure switch to the engine controller or to the electric fuel pump (installed last year) to kill the engine if oil pressure drops to much. I'm sure I can figure out how to pull this off but before I try this Is there a kit that can do this? Has anybody done this before?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
#1 & #2 have been done by quite a few on this site. Did they ever clean the air filter or did the cowboys think dust was good for an engine?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
And the 4th idea I like to do is hook up a low oil pressure switch to the engine controller or to the electric fuel pump (installed last year) to kill the engine if oil pressure drops to much. I'm sure I can figure out how to pull this off but before I try this Is there a kit that can do this? Has anybody done this before?
ever seen or know about Murphy Switches ?

look here
A20P / A25P Series | Murphy by Enovation Controls

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
All great ideas! I used a fuel door out of Summit Racing for the access panel, If I want I can change the oil and filter without removing the dog house! I installed a set of gauges, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Volt Meter, and Oil Temp. Also used a 6 PSI Hobbs switch to work a low oil pressure light! These roller bearing motors don't show much oil pressure when warm, so installing a ignition/fuel pump cut off may be more trouble than it is worth. You would need a bypass when starting. I used a light as when I'm riding the trails I don't like to take my eyes off the trail. The light draws your attention to the gauges! Easy to wire the light, hot wire to one pole of the light, Neg wire to one side of the hobbs/murphy switch (Did that for Gary!LOL), other side of the hobbs switch wired to ground. Circuit is NC, opens when pressure exceeds 6psi (light off). Sounds like your work is cut out for you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We used Murphy switches and Hobbs switch in a lot of underground mining applications. If I remember correctly some of the Hobbs switches were adjustable so 2 switches (NC/NO) could be used on most applications.

I think fairmont79 is correct and I think the easiest set up is just use the old fashion idiot light along with some gauges.

I decided to send the crank to mrcrankshaft so I took the case half to the Arctic Cat dealer on Saturday so they could pull the stator hub off for me and in doing so they pulled the threads off the tool and messed up the threads on the end of the crankshaft which tells me they didn't use the tool correctly. So I had to leave it with them for a while till they can get a new puller. Life goes on...

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I thought about using a Autometer shift lite on my oil pressure setup, but decided on a red LED in the dash would work just as good! Plus I already had the red LED! Makes you wonder about dealer mechanics! Scary bunch at times! I bought several AC tools for working on mine, stator puller was one! Doing your own repairs is well worth the effort, not everyone has the time, or place to work, but the fortunate ones can reap the benefits of their labor!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Always better to work on your own stuff IMO. I rebuilt my Prowler motor for the first time, and found that it wasn't really hard at all. Pretty easy with the service manual they have out. I don't trust shops personally. I know I will put more effort and attention to detail on my own stuff over any shop mechanic.:) And it doesn't hurt to save all that $$$ either.:D

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Labor rates are getting very high! 65-100 dollars per hour around mid Michigan! That adds up quick! No wonder the shops around here are full of abandoned equipment! My buddy has a huge sale every spring!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts