Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have a '08 650 xt that has some issues with shifting into low range. It will shift into high, neutral and reverse with little issue. When it is put into low, it acts as a second reverse. I suspect a twisted shift fork to be the cause of my problems, but thought I would go looking for a second opinion before I committed to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the site! I'd recommend disconnecting the linkage from the shift arm, and see if you can put it in low range by hand. If this does not work you may have to open it up to see what the problem is. I'm sure others will offer help, as this is s very helpful group on this forum.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Shifting into low often takes a little effort on these machines. It is normal. You can try adjusting the linkage and see if that helps. Otherwise, just feather the gas while trying to shift into low and it should pop right in.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have a '08 650 xt that has some issues with shifting into low range. It will shift into high, neutral and reverse with little issue. When it is put into low, it acts as a second reverse. I suspect a twisted shift fork to be the cause of my problems, but thought I would go looking for a second opinion before I committed to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
make sure you idle is not set to high also,needs to be around 1,200 to 1,300 rpm's........true on having to bump the throttle to catch low............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Low gear outta nowhere???

Hey all,

As originally posted by creeperxo: I have a 2012' Prowler HDX 700 that has just started doing the same thing.... I brought it home to work on, at least I have a garage here.....

I have tightened the linkage, taken it out into the cul-de-sac then all of a sudden here comes reverse!!!!!!!! I disconnected the rear linkage and manually crammed it all the way up. (PARK!) Reconnected the linkage. Adjusted the front linkage for "Park" adjustment to both extremes.

I was in 2 wheel drive at the time. I have always had an issue on steep hills going into low having to hold the shifter up until a spurt of accelerator was given. The "Park" display light STAYS ON so that is no assistance!

I have adjusted the linkage to both extremes and NOTHING CHANGES.....

PLEASE HELP!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
make sure you idle is not set to high also,needs to be around 1,200 to 1,300 rpm's........true on having to bump the throttle to catch low............
Yep! Winter will make the carbed motors shift harder because the auto choke raises the rpm's until temp is met. I drop my idle down to 1000 in the winter months, to help with shifting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With my machine, I ended up having to rebuild my lower end. After eliminating idle speed, and linkage adjustment, I dug a little deeper. I drained the oil and seen an unsettling amount of brass.
At this point I committed to a rebuild. My original intent was to do it myself, but after cracking the case open and seeing the mess of a puzzle in front of me, I chose to take it into a local shop.
It turned out that one of the guides that receive the shifter forks had become free moving on the gear shaft. It then moved freely back and forth on the shaft making shifting next to impossible, and destroying all the gears in the process.
It was a pretty costly fix, but it is rock solid now.
My suspicion is that it was idling high for a long while, leading to shifting becoming harder and harder. This would eventually lead to the failure my prowler experienced.

I got this prowler used from a pipeline company, knowing it had be run pretty rough. They sold it for a song, so I picked it up to use as a snow plow. So far it has kept up nicely with the 2 1/2 feet we've gotten so far this year.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Ya, for what they are, they are pretty bulletproof! You can't force anything too long before something breaks. Glad you got it fixed up, bad part is, square tube parts are drying up real fast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts