Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I had some issues getting my prowler started and keep it running. I found out that I had to turn my idle all the way down to get it started and then turn it up to keep the engine running. Before i touched the idle i noticed that it was turned the entire way up. It has an automatic choke, would that be the issue? Any help is appreciated since I have to leave the center cover off to start my machine

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
I'd start with the choke. I'm an EFI owner, so I'm guessing!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
RD .. wheres the cut off for carb v/s EFI ? all models ?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
The idle should be set between 1250-1350 RPM any higher and the clutch will try to engage making it hard to start. What RPM to you have to keep it at to stay running, could it be a weak spark from your plug? Have you noticed it smoking when it starts? Could be a choke problem if it runs fine once started, Mike (De3) had to replace his choke and eventually switched to a different carb, maybe he'll be on to throw in his thoughts soon.

There's some trouble shooting tips at the end of the Prowler service manual, if you don't have one you can download a free one from a couple places.

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

Technical Information - Prowler - Prowler Service Manuals 2006-2014 models

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i put a new spark plug, battery, and stator in within the past week due to some other issues as well. i will have to see what RPM i have to have it at to keep it runnning. no smoking when it starts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I know this isn't related to your problem but one thing I've ran into and it did it again today to remind me. When I have my headlights on, my heater blower, and coolant pump running which are tied to the ignition switch mine won't fire right off, if I turn everything off it fires the first click of the key. I need to remove all the add-on accessories off the ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I'm just gonna toss this out there, you are probably already doing this. But, hey what the heck. I have the same buggy, except mine is an 09. I have to "set" the choke by pushing the gas pedal to the floor, one time. Then wait a few seconds to start it. If you are doing this, with no help, then you'll probably need to re-adjust the choke. Use the manual suggested. Its my bible...

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm just gonna toss this out there, you are probably already doing this. But, hey what the heck. I have the same buggy, except mine is an 09. I have to "set" the choke by pushing the gas pedal to the floor, one time. Then wait a few seconds to start it. If you are doing this, with no help, then you'll probably need to re-adjust the choke. Use the manual suggested. Its my bible...
Maybe I need to read the bible again, haven't seen the part about setting the choke, I'll have to give that a try:cool:

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
RD .. wheres the cut off for carb v/s EFI ? all models ?
They went EFI on the 700 in 2008 and up, the 550 in 2009 was also EFI. The only carb model was the 650's (2009 was the last year for them in the Prowler line up)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bryan - i will give this a try. where do you think i should set my idle before i try this? have it set to where it normally is to keep the machine running?

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
I think the idle RPM is right around 1200-1350, but there again this is what mine seems to like!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I have mine set at 1250 or so. Too high won't let the clutch engage to shift gears. Too low and it just won't idle right.
Mike, I have an A/C sticker on my dash for cold weather starting. Not sure if its actually in the manual. I'll have to look, too.
Another though I had was on that fuel vent line that we have all plugged up. That little trick makes mine start like a champ...

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
My '07 doesn't have that sticker, I doubt they changed the choke the sticker must have been the upgrade :)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Sticker also says there is a primer bulb located under the center console. Says after several failed start attempts, push it three times then attempt to start engine. Hmm... I'm not sure where that bulb is on the carb. I'll have to look for it. All I have ever touched is the idle speed knob. If its like any primer bulb on weed eaters and chainsaws, Ethanol eats the crap out of them and they leak through after awhile. I'm gonna check it out!

Reactions: de3

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Sticker also says there is a primer bulb located under the center console. Says after several failed start attempts, push it three times then attempt to start engine. Hmm... I'm not sure where that bulb is on the carb. I'll have to look for it. All I have ever touched is the idle speed knob. If its like any primer bulb on weed eaters and chainsaws, Ethanol eats the crap out of them and they leak through after awhile. I'm gonna check it out!

There was a primer on my 06 also....

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Mike, I have an A/C sticker on my dash for cold weather starting. Not sure if its actually in the manual. I'll have to look, too.
Another though I had was on that fuel vent line that we have all plugged up. That little trick makes mine start like a champ...
I was just outside starting mine up and all it wanted to do was crank over, then the "duh" moment, I tried the set the choke like your sticker says and it fired up easy. Looks like that does work!

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Simple things seem to work best! I was never convinced fuel injection was the way to go, but for Prowlers, and other ATV/UTV engines it is great! If I could use a Holley I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I might have an old Thermoquad lying around somewhere you can try. I HATED those things!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I was just outside starting mine up and all it wanted to do was crank over, then the "duh" moment, I tried the set the choke like your sticker says and it fired up easy. Looks like that does work!
Glad it worked!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Simple things seem to work best! I was never convinced fuel injection was the way to go, but for Prowlers, and other ATV/UTV engines it is great! If I could use a Holley I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
I've been getting about 16-18 MPG down here and that is in tons of sand washes and boulder gardens [bad milage area's normally] in my twin cylinder depending on the days difficulty :) ...and in 6K + miles zero issues on fuel systems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts