Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 650 displays an "E" when you shift from any gear to high. If you shut it off and restart in high it is usually okay as long as you do not shift out of that gear. Sometimes you have to do this a couple times. All the other gears seem fine. It is carb'ed and all the error codes I can find are for EFI. The shift linkages all seem fine.

Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Your shift linkage may just be slightly out of adjustment. If I remember correctly you are supposed to disconnect your shifter from your shift linkage on the motor. Put your motor into neutral and verify by what your screen readout says. Also put your shifter into neutral position. and then adjust the height of your shift linkage until it is centered on your motor linkage. You might try this first.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My Prowler is a 2006 and it had the original style shift linkage which was some crappy metal plates. Seemed to shift okay, but I just didn't like the linkage after seeing that they changed it on the 2007's. On the 2007's and some newer ones they changed to more like a turnbuckle style. I liked that design better. However after installing it, I noticed that my Prowler just never seemed to shift correctly. So I played with it more today, and realized that the new linkage was just too long to install it correctly how the manual says. The linkage would bottom out, but still wasn't short enough to be even with the linkage on the motor. So I cut like a 1/4" off of the threads, and it still wasn't short enough if I had the lock nut installed that comes with the linkage. So I took off the locking nut and shortened the shifter linkage until it was even with the motor linkage and installed it (without nut). Tested it in my driveway and it was shifting like a dream. Was hitting every gear nice and easy. So if anybody is having problems and they have this style shifter linkage, then you might want to check and see if it is just too long.....

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My Prowler is a 2006 and it had the original style shift linkage which was some crappy metal plates. Seemed to shift okay, but I just didn't like the linkage after seeing that they changed it on the 2007's. On the 2007's and some newer ones they changed to more like a turnbuckle style. I liked that design better. However after installing it, I noticed that my Prowler just never seemed to shift correctly. So I played with it more today, and realized that the new linkage was just too long to install it correctly how the manual says. The linkage would bottom out, but still wasn't short enough to be even with the linkage on the motor. So I cut like a 1/4" off of the threads, and it still wasn't short enough if I had the lock nut installed that comes with the linkage. So I took off the locking nut and shortened the shifter linkage until it was even with the motor linkage and installed it (without nut). Tested it in my driveway and it was shifting like a dream. Was hitting every gear nice and easy. So if anybody is having problems and they have this style shifter linkage, then you might want to check and see if it is just too long.....
If you get a chance take a picture of you 07 linkage,I don't think mine could shift any easier.It shifts so easy that I will ease on the throttle just to make sure it is in gear.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine does something similar due to the reverse light over ride switch I put in for the rear work lights, It gives that error when I leave them on or off (I can't remember)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My 08 650 displays an "E" when you shift from any gear to high. If you shut it off and restart in high it is usually okay as long as you do not shift out of that gear. Sometimes you have to do this a couple times. All the other gears seem fine. It is carb'ed and all the error codes I can find are for EFI. The shift linkages all seem fine.

Anyone else run into this?
After I thought about that a little,that's strange on a carb model that's like when my belt messed up I had the word belt come up on my cluster.mines a 06,my manual don't say anything about the word belt being displayed.:confused:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My display will register an "E" if I'm not fully in gear. I was getting the E yesterday when I was playing with my shifter linkage adjustment and was having trouble finding gears.

Mike, I'll try and get a picture later today of the shifter linkage I was talking about. I assume yours has the two metal plates like mine used to have.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Mine only did it untill I adjustedthe shift cable.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My display will register an "E" if I'm not fully in gear. I was getting the E yesterday when I was playing with my shifter linkage adjustment and was having trouble finding gears.

Mike, I'll try and get a picture later today of the shifter linkage I was talking about. I assume yours has the two metal plates like mine used to have.
That's weird I never have seen the letter E come come up,I guess thats a good thing,all that I have seen is volts and belt.I thought on a carb model the only thing that would be computerized would be the CDI.learn something every day.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have seen E then the gear is not fully in. Thats what i thought

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have seen E then the gear is not fully in. Thats what i thought
I think Iam gonna have to fool around with my shifter to see if I can get the E to show up in my dash.LOL:D:D

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've had the E on mine before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts