Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 09 Prowler and instantly I had the "bug" to mod it up. Think its the childhood dream of having that crazy bad azz 4x4 that we all wanted but just couldnt justify the coin.

So with in a short period of time I was brain storming on all the things I wanted to do. So started to search and noticed a trend. Everyone takes weight off, jack's them up, tweaks to go faster...
As much as I like playing in the mud... mud is pricey and makes the machine unreliable for those 200mile+ days. So I went at this at a different angle. I wanted a Escalade of SxS's . I wanted some more speed but just to cruse in comfort and some style.

So it began...

First thing on my list ... WINCH !!! Warn as great as a company as you are... your winches suck... So first on my list was truck winch. Yup I want a big azz winch that will pull me out of anything !!! So the hunt was on. Due to its size and power it was hard to "pick" which one to buy. So I stumbled upon Mile Marker winches. Did some reading, good reviews and the best part, they have a variable speed winch. So I bought the MileMarker VMX8 8000lbs winch. 4.1HP motor ! http://www.milemarker.com/pdf_downloads/vmx8_specs.pdf
Now I know I am going to get out for sure. Either tear off the front end or pull it out of the mud.
Now this created another problem. Power. The bike and the teeny-tiny battery in it can't not power this. Deep cycle to the rescue. (Im adding a stereo as well so the batteries were being added anyways)
So two deep cycle's twined together, plenty of power for both the winch and future stereo...
So I tore out that front tunk storage mud collector and made custom battery bays.

I really like the look of the AC bush bumper on my quad so went after that for the prowler as well. So installed it and something was missing... just didn't look "proper. So took the factory bumper, and will a little bit of McGyver'ing we got it onto the bush bumper. Sucess! looks awesome and offers better protection.

• 2009 Prowler 1000 XTZ
  • Metallic Black Plastics ( from 09 ) /
  • 14" Douglas Racing Diablo rims black-chrome /
  • 27" Grim Reapers /
  • 350lbs rear springs 225lbs on the front /
  • AC half wind-shield /
  • Garmin 60CSX /
  • HID kit in high beams /
  • 2-7" HID's euro Beam /
  • Arctic Cat's High back seats /
  • DragonFire 3" 4 point harness's /
  • VMX8 Mile Marker variable speed winch (8000lbs with 100' Synthetic rope)
  • Custom Battery tray for 2 deep cycle batteries /
  • Custom made holy chit bar ( used the Rzr's T-handle) /
  • Custom Rear box - all aluminum w/gull wing doors /
  • Modded AC bush guard bumper /
  • AirDam stage 1-4 with all the trimmings /
  • Custom Rad Relocate w/silicone hose
  • SpeedWrex Exhaust
  • Custom Limb bars
  • Straightened Front roll cage ( better fit for custom roof )
I have more pictures just on the other camera, will post more later on...

I have LOTS more coming too, its going to be a nice 4x4 couch when Im done

Also like to send out a big Thanks to Fly121 for sharing some of his thoughts and issues he had on his project... So again Thanks !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Couple PM's already bout the winch. I will take better pictures and post...

best part is Mile Markers winch just bolted on. No need to drill any new holes, had it mounted in seconds.

If you look closely at the front where the winch mounts, you will see 4 holes that are pressed out ( little bumps), We just grinded them flush, used a nice big flat washer to give the bolt heads something to grab. Tightened the bolts up, winch was installed.

What will give you some grief , will be the fairlead mounts. I am going to ditched the air craft cable and put in 100' of synthetic rope. So to keep the rope from getting cut I'm installing two fair leads. One on the frame where the winch is mounted and also one on the bush bumper. The bush bumper one will take a little bit of creativity to get it secure.

More Pic's coming soon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here are some pictures as promised. Its raining here today, so couldnt take advantage of the sunlight to show things better.

With the winch, the lever to set it to free-wheel or lock... the little ball had to be ground down a bit cause it hit the frame post. Other then that, fits like a glove. Also this winch is computer controlled. That box is the solenoid. This winch is variable speed. Which is perfect so I can slowly tear off the front end lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Shawn

Glad to see your project coming along. I like how you made it the way you want it and not how some shop told you it should be. Nice job man. I like the seats a lot. Glad to share my photos and trial and error with you. Look forward to seeing some nice ride photo's in the future.

Todd

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you mounting the gas can on the back? If so you might like using a flat pack better.
I looked at those Koplin locking packs and... I dunno, This is a copy of the old school "jeep" gas cans. So with the rear cage thats coming, it will fit nicely inside

On your bed delete do you still have it so it tilts?
nope the entire box assembly is removed and its bolted to the frame

The rear box is not finished, Still adding rails around the sides and it will be all powder coated textured black

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dude that is looking awesome... Have you had a chance to use your machine yet?
Oh ya Im always out on it that is part of the reason why its taking so long to get it all done.

Doing 3" snorkels next and finishing the rear box.

I will keep the pictures coming...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an Update...

Well now that summer is almost here my rad re-locate is becoming an issue. Issue being... water pump doesnt have the jam to pump the coolant up high enough to hit the rad. So now my fan constantly runs when ambient temp is warm.
So talked to a local muscle car shop and a rad shop.... basically I need a electric water pump boost now. Did some "google'ing" and found a race one that will do the trick.

Since those pictures I now have my belt in-take snorkled. I will post pictures asap.
use 2" syphon hose to swing underneath the front drive shaft. Came up below driver seat and at that point I increased it to 3" and stuck a 875CFM K&N filter on it.
Some of the areas I ride are very sandy and I have seen what the "dust" can do to the clutches. So with the money I spent on AirDam might as well protect my investment.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
So an Update...

Well now that summer is almost here my rad re-locate is becoming an issue. Issue being... water pump doesnt have the jam to pump the coolant up high enough to hit the rad. So now my fan constantly runs when ambient temp is warm.
So talked to a local muscle car shop and a rad shop.... basically I need a electric water pump boost now. Did some "google'ing" and found a race one that will do the trick.

Since those pictures I now have my belt in-take snorkled. I will post pictures asap.
use 2" syphon hose to swing underneath the front drive shaft. Came up below driver seat and at that point I increased it to 3" and stuck a 875CFM K&N filter on it.
Some of the areas I ride are very sandy and I have seen what the "dust" can do to the clutches. So with the money I spent on AirDam might as well protect my investment.
Let us know how the electric water pump works out. Also keep record of the part numbers and post something up if you would so others can fix this problem as well. Thanks for your help. Cat's looking good!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My cooling booster pump is from a toyota prius "thanks Team Arctic" it is the battery cooling pump.

There are 3 prowlers here running these pumps as a booster for our heaters and they are working good with no issues.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My cooling booster pump is from a toyota prius "thanks Team Arctic" it is the battery cooling pump.

There are 3 prowlers here running these pumps as a booster for our heaters and they are working good with no issues.
Well I did some surfing on the net and this is what I found so far to be the most common drag racers use to cool their engines

Meziere Enterprises

Im totally interested in what you are running ... Never thought of a Prius for a pump...

Price ? part number from toyota?

Let us know how the electric water pump works out. Also keep record of the part numbers and post something up if you would so others can fix this problem as well. Thanks for your help. Cat's looking good!
Of course I will keep this up to date... Once I solve this issue I will post how and some pictures. So far think one of my issues may be actual power. Pump seems to be 5-8amps... when the prowler only have what.... 25amps in total?? efi needs 9-11amps / headlights suck 8-10 amps ( with them all on) ... doesn't leave much room for anything

Sounds like a fun and EXPENSIVE project! LOL

Im interested in seeing the Black Plastic. Do you have them yet? I am wanting them too. Getting them from a dealer?
Yes it has been a pricey adventure so far. Just wish it was all done now so I can move to the paint stage... *sigh* lol

I will wash it up and take some pictures for you then. The black plastics are awesome. Metallic Black looks amazing!!!!
Have you ever seen a AC quad all black? Its the same paint...
If interested, its the 2009 700 LE prowler with the wood box that has the black plastics. You loose the hood scoop and also I am not sure if you can get the rear fenders in black as the 09 had that wood box...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, this is looking good! And teh photos I begged for...Heck I would settle for teh hood ram right now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well its been a very busy summer and not much has been done on the project nor have I had much time to ride...

So here is a little up date with some pictures

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts