Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced a problem with my 09 Prowler jerking when you try to take off from a dead start or at a rolling start. It did not do it when in 4 wheel drive. I discovered that the rear driveline was turning as much as 3 or 4 revolutions before rearend would engage. This machine has the turf saver rear differential. I removed the rearend and found that the spool was welded so you could not take apart. I ground the welds off and dissassembled and found that there are a type of clutch pack on each side. Mine was damaged beyond any repair on one side. So to make a long story short I was wondering if anyone has removed there limited slip differential and installed a spool from a older model. If so do you have the correct part #'s. This gear assembly is upwards of $700.00 everywhere I have looked online and the comparable older gear/spools are around 150.00 in the older models. I have compared the parts diagrams and numbers to several other models and everything seems to be the same except for the pinion tooth numbers and the spool with the ring gear. My pinion is 10 tooth and the ring gear 36 tooth. I can't afford to spend 700 plus dollars to repair this rearend so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i experienced a problem with my 09 prowler jerking when you try to take off from a dead start or at a rolling start. It did not do it when in 4 wheel drive. I discovered that the rear driveline was turning as much as 3 or 4 revolutions before rearend would engage. This machine has the turf saver rear differential. I removed the rearend and found that the spool was welded so you could not take apart. I ground the welds off and dissassembled and found that there are a type of clutch pack on each side. Mine was damaged beyond any repair on one side. So to make a long story short i was wondering if anyone has removed there limited slip differential and installed a spool from a older model. If so do you have the correct part #'s. This gear assembly is upwards of $700.00 everywhere i have looked online and the comparable older gear/spools are around 150.00 in the older models. I have compared the parts diagrams and numbers to several other models and everything seems to be the same except for the pinion tooth numbers and the spool with the ring gear. My pinion is 10 tooth and the ring gear 36 tooth. I can't afford to spend 700 plus dollars to repair this rearend so any help would be appreciated.
the 3.6 gear ratio spool from atv should work fine,they are the same diffs. A 2005 500 man trans atv had 3.6 gears.

·
Registered
421 Posts
4.0 gears

I would put the 4.0 gears in it as well,but it will require you changing the front axles because the inner axle stub/spilnes are bigger on the 4.0 diffs!

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I would put the 4.0 gears in it as well,but it will require you changing the front axles because the inner axle stub/spilnes are bigger on the 4.0 diffs!
If that's the case contact the guys at CV Restoration and they can get you just the inner CV joints you need. You will not have to buy complete new axle assemblies and they are really easy to service.
Scott was the guy I worked with and he is really helpful.

Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have replaced mine with a regular spool type gear. The jerky take off is gone, much happier now. I found out the hard way that you will need to change rear axles, I dont know how I didnt notice before that they used front axles in the rear diff for the turf saver.

If you want to stick with 3.6's then order a set out of a 07 700 efi and if you want 4.0's then you will need to order both front and rear crown and pinions from a 650 prowler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, That is the information I have been looking for. I think I will be happier with the rearend locked also. It has jerked when taking off almost since it was new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
after reading your thread, my prowler is doing the exact same thing. makes it a real pain in the ass to drive!! do you also get some clicking noises when taking off??? and did you manage to get it fixed? sorry for all the Q's, just wanna know what im in for. thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a rearend complete from Artic Cat Overstock for 400.00 bucks and decided to go that route. The gear assembly with the clutches alone was around 800.00 dollars new and trying to change it over to a solid spool was turning into a job. I found out that you can change over to a solid spool and lock the rearend but you also have to change the axles. That was gonna cost more thn the complete rearend I found. I hope that i don't have the same problem with the one I have ordered. I talked to the sales person at Artic Cat Overstock and was told it was a new rearend.
It is pretty simple to check yours. If you put it in gear and give it a little fuel and your drive shaft is turning several revolutions before engaging, then i would bet money the clutches are damaged. I have some pictures I can send if you would like, showing what the damaged parts will look like. Drop me an email at [email protected] and I will send them to you or reply here and I will post them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
after reading your post, i checked mine and yes, the axle spins several times before the rear end engages. If you dont mind posting some pictures on here that would be great. thanks alot

1 - 20 of 24 Posts