Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 that I believe is blowing oil into the filter box and then burning it. When I start it up there is a decent cloud of white smoke. When running down the road I can smell oil burning but there is no more cloud. When I open the main filter box on the motor there is oil on the bottom of the case and a little dripping from the breather tube fitting on the cover. Runs fine but looses a little power when warmed up and stare breather holes bigger helps with power, but would it help return the oil to the case also? Is one of the breathers possibly plugged? Anyone else have this problem? After about 50 mts right up and idles fine with no oil burning smell. I have seen that making the crank casiles or so I have to put 3/4 of a quart in.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Cory

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hey everyone. I have a 2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 that I believe is blowing oil into the filter box and then burning it. When I start it up there is a decent cloud of white smoke. When running down the road I can smell oil burning but there is no more cloud. When I open the main filter box on the motor there is oil on the bottom of the case and a little dripping from the breather tube fitting on the cover. Runs fine but looses a little power when warmed up and stare breather holes bigger helps with power, but would it help return the oil to the case also? Is one of the breathers possibly plugged? Anyone else have this problem? After about 50 mts right up and idles fine with no oil burning smell. I have seen that making the crank casiles or so I have to put 3/4 of a quart in.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Cory
how many miles on the engine ?

ever found and dusting on the wrong side of the filters ?

how often do you clean the air filters [both pre and main] ?

our rigs have LOUSEY air intake locations and if your in dusty conditions cleaning and making sure they are properly replaced is VERY important. Many of the 1000 guys carry a spare filter in a plastic sealed bag in the trail box [me too] .

where is your location[on edit ..oops saw where ] and normal trail ride conditions ? heavy dust in desert ..

excessive lil use might be a indication of dust scoring of cylinder walls / might also be filters plugged ... be sure to check oil after every ride until you locate the culprit [adding a fuel door to the inside passenger shroud will make that a ton easier .. do a search there is a thread about adding that , the thread is mostly about 700's but the process is the same except we have out oil dip stick in the other side and much more a PIA to get to so the door really helps. Summit Racing or the like has many styles and price ranges available]

report back with findings. AND welcome to the house

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had 1581 miles when i bought it 2 weeks ago and now it has almost 1900. I have cleaned the primary filter and the secondary is pretty clean. I will change the oil on the filter before my next ride.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
do some reading on adding the fuel door ... makes checking the oil a breeze verses a PIA [a thread search will get you the info] .. sounds like you be checking oil after every ride and if a long one during too ... also suggest taking a quart with you on rides!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I check the oil constantly after finding that it was loosing it. Do you have the same issue with yours? A friend of mine suggested plugging off the breather tube but I feel that will hurt more than help. Have you heard of this happening? Any suggestions on what other steps I should be taking to avoid this?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I check the oil constantly after finding that it was loosing it. Do you have the same issue with yours? A friend of mine suggested plugging off the breather tube but I feel that will hurt more than help. Have you heard of this happening? Any suggestions on what other steps I should be taking to avoid this?
no I have had no oil issues and have about 5000 ++ getting close to 6K miles on mine and many/much of my rides in very dusty conditions. most of my rides are in Northern Idaho on logging roads and woods trails that turn to fine powder dust right after snow melt and rain season ..

I have several spare filters and always have at least one clean set with me.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
plugging your crank case hose off probably will add pressure to the top end.I was reading something the other day on the Teryx forum about a catch can mod for the crank case breather,i took my crank case breather hose out of the air box and put a filter on it.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Sounds like blow by. Piston rings may have lost their tension (overheating, scored, etc. etc.), pull a compression check to check cylinder pressure. If it quits when warm check the pressure then also. Plugging the vent hose may create more problems than it solves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will see if I can get a compression test done today but I don't think there is an issue there. The thing runs great and I can hit 75mph + with no problem. The only weird thing is, it doesn't seem to have the "snap" it should when it warms up... seems to have more when cool. Belt issue? I guess that is for another thread 😉. I'm fairly certain that the oil is getting injected into the intake because the breather hose is right in front of the air intake and when it is sucking that much air, most oil will go directly into the cylinders. When I pull the air box cover off, oil is dripping from the hose fitting on the top. If it is blow by, then I have another oil eating issue.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
over oiling of the filter is common to folks who don't know how much to use .. a little is good more is better is their thoughts

did you pull clean and properly re-oil the filter ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My compression is at 110. So you think the filter may be over oiled causing the engine to suck air and oil through the crank case breather?

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds like the same problem I have with my 2010 1000XTZ

It sure sounds lilke the same problem I have with my 2010. When I first smelled oil burning it turns out that the crankcase vent hose had dissconnected from the splitter box( where all three vent hoses join). I have since fixed the disconnected hose problem but now the oil burning smell is still present and it is blue exhaust when I am speeding along having fun. Is this "splitter box" a checkvalve or filter or whatever?? I noticed that mine has been repaired with gobbs of epoxy. I wish to replace it but unsure of its proper name or part number. That is my start. Any help would be great

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
The part number needed is 0470-857. Arctic Cat lists it as an "Oil Separator", found the number in the parts manual under "air intake"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup. What he said. Turns out that my co.pression was very low. 110psi is not good. I had blowby and it was pressurizing the crank case pushing oil past the separator and pumping it inot the intake. I have rebuilt the top end and the problem is gone. Now that I have more pressure the lower end is knocking :( someone sanded the motor...

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Bottom end is labor intensive! Meaning Cost. I have seen several 1000 motors on different sites for sale. PowerSportsNation sells decent used equipment, I'd be afraid to buy from a private seller. New engines are available, and rebuilt are available through Wildcat supporters. Sand kills these things so quick, that it is frightening!

·
Registered
288 Posts
OIL Problem

What kind of oil and what weight oil are you using? I know a guy that had this problem but he was using the wrong oil as he bought it used and didn't have a manual. DON~~~

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Never gave the oil much thought! But sure is something worth checking! I use a 20/50 full synthetic from Amesoil, it is for anything with a wet clutch. Arctic Cat also offers a mixed 50 weight, as do other brands. Be a good thing to check! Thanks Don!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use 0-40 mobile 1 which is full synthetic. I was going to try a heavier weight to see if that helped. Just need to pick up a filter. I was going to go with a Castrol 5-30 part synthetic which a buddy of mine runs in his machines. You think a 50 weight would be better?

·
Registered
288 Posts
OIL weight

I use 0-40 mobile 1 which is full synthetic. I was going to try a heavier weight to see if that helped. Just need to pick up a filter. I was going to go with a Castrol 5-30 part synthetic which a buddy of mine runs in his machines. You think a 50 weight would be better?
The book says 5/50 synthetic. I use Mobile one 15/50 synthetic. The best filter I have found is the K&N 621. I buy a few at a time on e-Bay and the price is not bad. When the oil is getting close to time to change my XTZ 1000 starts using a little oil. I check it every day we ride. Also you want to check it after it sets for a while to let it drain down. It also works a lot better to leave the oil a little low of the full line and never over the full line. I ride 2 to 3 thousand miles in the summer every year in Utah DON~~~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Tucson

I live in Tucson also 745-2281 if you want to talk. DON~~~

1 - 20 of 46 Posts