Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Prowler 1000 and had TJD tracks installed. I'm running the machine 230 miles down the Tanana river from Fairbanks to Tanana on the Yukon river. About 180 miles will be without any place to buy fuel. Does anyone have an idea how much fuel this buggy will burn running tracks in that distance? This is very remote country and no room for error. Really don't want to spend a night out with the wolves. They seem somewhat hungry this year.

Thanks, John in Alaska

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well first off all congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.
I get pretty poor mileage on my 1000. Never really paid attention though. Plus I dont run tracks sooo Im not much help. If I were you I would load the bed up with Fuel Tanks...

8 gallon tank, with tracks at a moderate speed... I would guess at 15 mpg is all...

·
Registered
36 Posts
About 50% more than on tires. I used roughly 3 us gallons for 23 miles with tires. Since the gear ratio is aproxx half I would say you would us 6 us gallons every 25 miles so that said about 55 us gallons. Thats alot of fuel to carry. Your going to use more towing that much weight. My poo 800 with tracks used double the fuel as being on tires. Hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
PX3 - so you say you are getting just 7.66 miles per gallon on tires? (thats 3 US Gallons divided by 23miles) Now thats bad... I ride mine in mud and I have a heavy foot and I get better than that. Plus realize that he will be driving at more consistent speed so he will be getting better mileage than stop and go riding. More like "Highway Miles"... lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes any thing that makes your engine more efficient would. like better intake or exhaust or fuel controler.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got a 650 on tracks uses more than twice as much gas as on tires the gearing is about half plus the tracks pull harder than tires on hard surfaces plus the effect sinking in the snow. They pull hard To be on the safe side I'd figure a third of the milage your getting now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a 650 on tracks uses more than twice as much gas as on tires the gearing is about half plus the tracks pull harder than tires on hard surfaces plus the effect sinking in the snow. They pull hard To be on the safe side I'd figure a third of the milage your getting now.

What make and model of track are you using? Any thoughts what is the best for running on marsh and tundra?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got Tracks for mine and didn't really care what kind of fuel economy they get. I just wanted to get to and from my weekend home in the mountains. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
x2...if i were to get tracks it would def. be tatou tracks!!!! from what i hear of people who have different track companies on atv's, they all say tatou has the most floatation and just well built over all. but for marshes and tundra, you do need all season tracks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and info. I'm going to Tanana by way of Manley which will be a short 70 mile ride on the river. We've had high temps breaking the freezing mark and winds have slowed so the trip should be pleasant. I rode a couple hours yesterday on the river in street clothes, baseball cap and a light jacket, and found that it wasn't too bad at speeds approaching 40 mph. I do get a backdraft that pulls some snow in behind me. I put 30 miles on the machine and burned a quarter tank of gas, that included a lot of climbing banks and such to see the limits of the machine. Amazing what it can do!!! I think 10 mpg is what I can expect on the river running at 30 mph which seems about right for top speed. Let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Made the trip last night in 3 hrs. I stopped numerous times to check things because it was dark and I wanted to make sure nothing was coming apart. I guess my actual travel time was 2 hrs. The trail was rough most the way due to the Iron Dog snomachine race a couple weeks ago. Amazing how nice the machine went over the whoops. The ride was absolutely pleasant. I burned more fuel than I'd like(about 7 mpg), but I was pushing the machine pretty hard in soft snow. I think the best way to travel is run slow and enjoy the scenery. My next mission is 120 miles down the Yukon to Ruby, Alaska in a couple days. Some rugged going in places on that trail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Becarefull up there. Thats my old stoping grounds. Im from Fairbanks AK and worked for Yutana barge lines so I know that up and down that river gets dangerous. Stay warm and dry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Becarefull up there. Thats my old stoping grounds. Im from Fairbanks AK and worked for Yutana barge lines so I know that up and down that river gets dangerous. Stay warm and dry.

It's getting that time of year for open holes and overflow. I won't be able to "water skip" the holes like a snowmachine can. Saved my b*tt a couple times being able to "skip" a hole. Many machines in the bottom of the river from folks trying to stop hard at the edge of a open hole that they didn't see til it was too late. The ice on the edge is rotten and braking makes it break away. A guy in town lost two machines last spring doing just that.

The Prowler is obviously not capable of "skipping", so I need to pay close attention. I know the areas that holes open early such as the mouth of the Tozi.

When did you leave Alaska?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts