Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 01 arctic cat 500 ,,i bought as a project,it was mostly together
I removed the primary and secondary drive pulleys and belt,,Guy said it wasn't pulling,when i turn the rear shaft,,the secondary drive doesn't move,if i turn the secondary drive shaft by hand,,both front and rear yokes turn,,but the secondary clutch shaft dont move,,no matter what gear i put it in,,the case has been apart before,,and the box of parts i got with it,,has a secondary drive assembly in it,,that looks used
Should the shaft and drive shaft turn when i turn either one by hand ?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sounds like bevel gears. Early Cats had a history of failures. Output shaft should turn when the driveshaft is turned unless it is in neutral. Models shown in the parts book list a manual, or automatic transmission, both show bevel gears on the final drive. I'm just guessing as this is an early ATV!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After further inspection , I believe its simply not shifting into gear, It looks to me that the secondary output shaft was already replaced,,so now im thinking the shift mechanism isnt shifting it into gear, inside the motor

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
broken or bent shift fork?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You may have to split the case to inspect/repair. Really not that bad of job, keep notes, take pictures and follow the service manual. K&T lawn equipment has free service manuals, or Country Cat. Also several sites on the web that sell them. Let us know how it is going! Good Luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
The bevel gear problem was on early AC built 650 H1's and that were under hard use.

Your Suzuki 500 is a solid reliable engine. So worth fixing if it runs good. Yes the front and rear outputs will always move together. The 4wd on/off is in the front diff, if it has it. Shift fork sounds like a likely culprit. Are you shifting at the shifter or the lever on the case? Since it has been apart it's likely it was not "fixed". Check and recheck everything on the outside before committing to the case separation. It's not that hard but it's not a 1hr job either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It started right up,sounds ok,i was shifting it at the case,feels kinds loose like its not really moveing anything inside,,if i split the case to fix it,will i need a special puller for the case ? ie..crank bearings,,can the case be split without removing the cyl ,timing chain ect ?? It seems to look that way,,ive not yet got a manual for it and i only paid a 100 bucks for the machine,so i dont mind putting some money in it

·
Registered
168 Posts
your bought it right. I'm not experienced on the case splitting but the service manual should have good instructions. You tube might have something too. Its a Suzuki 500 engine so dont' limit your search to just AC.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You may need a flywheel puller, and a case splitter. I found a case splitter at RockyMountain ATV, I bought the cheapest one they had (65.00 dollars), and have used it a couple of times! Great tool for the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts