Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when I go to stop there is a whinning sound coming from the belt area and then it smells like the belt is burning. Theres was even some smoke once. Then when I start to drive again it stops. Any ideas? I is as if the belt does not stop turning when I am stopped.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd be opening up the clutch to see what's going on sounds like something isn't letting it return to idle position. Roller weights out of whack, clutch sheaves jammed, overly dirty

Once stopped does it actually stay stopped or keep lurching forward? idle to high?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It stays stopped and does not lurch forward. He is opening it up tonight so we will see what is in there. Our issue is we do not know how to tell if it is a bad part or not. Are there any clues to this?

·
Registered
618 Posts
If the rollers aren't round, if the sheaves aren't smooth you've got problems.

The belt should drop all the way into the primary at idle, try running it once the cover is off but DO NOT run with the primary off or you will have oil everywhere.

If it doesn't come to rest at the bottom of the primary or the top of the secondary something is jammed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we opened it up and found a loose bolt that appears to be the same as the bolts on the housing but we have all of those. The belt is scarred a little and you can see where it has made some marks on the inside of the housing cover. But now we can not get the bolts off either clutch to take them off to see if there is any damage to them. Any ideas. We have tried two different air compressors and two different impact wrenches. They are on there tight.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Keep hammering on them, they should break loose.

You could also apply some controlled heat as the red loctite they use is a ***** to break loose. You don't want to get it cherry red but put a little heat to the bolt or nut and then hit it with the impact, apply a little more heat if it doesn't break and so on. Keep in mind there are seals so go easy with the heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I think he is calling it quits for the night. Will start fresh tomorrow evening. Will let you know if we still have any questions. I appreciate all your help. Have a good evening.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Once you get the sheaves off be sure to check the bolts in the back cover (engine side) to see if that is where the bolt came from, I'm not sure if they are the same or not.

Did he buy this new?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes we bought it new in 2006 but have had the dealer fix belt issues twice before. We had two different times that oil got into the belt area. So we paid the dealer to do that before. This time it is dry and we were going to see what we could do ourselves. Someone asked if the bolts are threaded on backwards from normal bolts? Are they reverse threaded? If so that could be the problem he is trying to get them off the normal way a bolt would come off. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. With the economy we just don't have the money to keep throwing it at the dealer to fix it if we can at least try it on our own first.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I am new at this what is PM you with my number? How do I do that? As far as the screw goes it looks just like the ones that hold the housing on, but we have all of those accounted for so it was not from us. It was totally loose and laying in the bottom of the housing. There is some scaring on the inside of the clutch housing cover and a little on the belt. We wanted to get the rest off to see if it came from behind the clutches or if dealer some how left it in there after last repair. But that has been a few months and would think would have had an issue before now. My husband will be home around 4:00 CST and is the one doing the work (I don't want to break a nail. lol) But may be great to have the option to talk to you on the phone if runs into more issues.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's possible that the dealer left one in the secondary sheave when spreading it open and didn't remove it completey after installing the belt.

Then instead of looking for it they just grabbed another one, It would take some time to vibrate it out, could explain why it just started up.

And as Desert Cat stated, righty tighty lefty loosie.

A PM is personal message, you can click on Dersercats name in his post and it should give you the options.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great thanks again. But you agree we should continue to get the clutches off to check and see that there is no other damage to the cluthes themselves.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Since I am new at this what is PM you with my number? How do I do that? As far as the screw goes it looks just like the ones that hold the housing on, but we have all of those accounted for so it was not from us. It was totally loose and laying in the bottom of the housing. There is some scaring on the inside of the clutch housing cover and a little on the belt. We wanted to get the rest off to see if it came from behind the clutches or if dealer some how left it in there after last repair. But that has been a few months and would think would have had an issue before now. My husband will be home around 4:00 CST and is the one doing the work (I don't want to break a nail. lol) But may be great to have the option to talk to you on the phone if runs into more issues.
Oh man I hate breaking nails and getting my hands dirty is no fun at all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just went through a similar experience removing the clutches on my 650. The impact wrench worked for me, didn't need any extra heat but used a 5 gallon compressor set at 90 psi. You may not have the capacity if you're using a miniature pancake compressor.

One additional note, not sure which was which right now, but one of the clutches was right handed, the other had left handed threads. I believe the primary was LH.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the information. Hopefully this will work and we can get this done and back out to play

1 - 20 of 30 Posts