Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 650 H1 yesterday and after getting it to the ranch am experinsing only 30 MPH top speed and 4200 RPM's from the engine. I have checked and cleaned the air filter, checked cleaned the spark plug and drained the carb. At just over 30 mph the engine pops and sputers back through the carb. Tried going down a steep paved hill nearby and 32 is as fast as it will go without missing. What should I begin checking to get it to run better?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'ts in 2wd hi gear and diff lock off. No other Prowlers close by. Everyone else has ATVs or RZRs

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
It was a long shot on the friend with a cdi you can try. Have heard of this with another member on here. We are supposed to take a look at together here anytime. I have a extra cdi we are gonna try on his to see if it straitens his out. He is having the same symptoms as you it sounds like. Another thing I would check and look over is the grounds on your prowler. I did have problems with mine early on with those.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As it turns out with the Prowler, the valves were so out of adjustment, .200, that it is funny that it would even run or start. Now it fires up at the touch of the key, revs to 6250 and goes 50mph. The older gentleman that I bought it from never noticed because 20 mph is as fast as he ever drove it on his farm. Other than starting hard he never noticed the lack of performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happy you found your problem, I'm new to the forum but I'm here to help out where I can. I’m an Artic Cat Tech in Beaumont Texas.

My answer would have been fuel delivery or valves.

You found your problem with the valve adjustment. The valve are suppose to be adjusted during the first 100 mile service but very seldom is it done. Most of the time it just gets a fluid change.

But, here’s why I would have looked at the fuel.

You really have to watch you fuel since they started putting alcohol in the gas. Gas has a certain amount of trash in it and most of it sticks to the sides and bottom of the fuel tank. Several years of use the trash builds up.

Alcohol is a great cleaner!!! It will break all the trash loose in the fuel system and clogs the filters. It will also break the trash down to its finest particle size, which will pass through many filters and clog the fuel injectors.

It’s a good idea to keep your fuel treated with fuel stabilized that is designed for alcohol. Also change your fuel filter annually.

JMO

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
That is good news and a easy fix. Don't think this will work for the other guy though he has run the valve lash twice.
As it turns out with the Prowler, the valves were so out of adjustment, .200, that it is funny that it would even run or start. Now it fires up at the touch of the key, revs to 6250 and goes 50mph. The older gentleman that I bought it from never noticed because 20 mph is as fast as he ever drove it on his farm. Other than starting hard he never noticed the lack of performance.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I think you mean ethanol right?
Happy you found your problem, I'm new to the forum but I'm here to help out where I can. I’m an Artic Cat Tech in Beaumont Texas.

My answer would have been fuel delivery or valves.

You found your problem with the valve adjustment. The valve are suppose to be adjusted during the first 100 mile service but very seldom is it done. Most of the time it just gets a fluid change.

But, here’s why I would have looked at the fuel.

You really have to watch you fuel since they started putting alcohol in the gas. Gas has a certain amount of trash in it and most of it sticks to the sides and bottom of the fuel tank. Several years of use the trash builds up.

Alcohol is a great cleaner!!! It will break all the trash loose in the fuel system and clogs the filters. It will also break the trash down to its finest particle size, which will pass through many filters and clog the fuel injectors.

It’s a good idea to keep your fuel treated with fuel stabilized that is designed for alcohol. Also change your fuel filter annually.

JMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you mean ethanol right?
Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid.

Semantics

So the eary 650's that don't have a fuel filter should have one installed?
The 06 does have a fuel filter, it is located on the fuel pick-up in the gas tank.
it's not really what I would call a filter , more of a screen. but the parts manual and service manual calls it a filter.

Any inline filter would be an improvement!!! However, I recommend the Yamaha marine filter called the mini, P/N MAR-MINIF-LT-AS.

The filter can be mounted to the frame with two bolts. it is a canister type filter with a mount and a spin on filter. To replace the filter after the assembly is installed you spin it off like an oil filter and spin the new one on.

It is also a water separating filter and filter no pass size is 10 micron.
Just to give you an idea about how small 10 microns is, a virus is around 5 microns.

Price of the assembly is around $42.00 and the replacement filter is around $10.00.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A inline fuel filter is fine. You don't have to have a water separating filter designed for big dollar marine outboards. The junk that comes from the pump at your local station is way more harmful for a prowler than the little bit of water that you will get from ethanol blended fuels. Unless you let yours sit for more than 6 months at a time. If so Sea Foam or Stabil will work just fine.
Like you said it is not a fuel filter in a 06. It is a screen. If you don't have a fuel filter you should. If you don't you will be sorry some day.
Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid.

Semantics

The 06 does have a fuel filter, it is located on the fuel pick-up in the gas tank.
it's not really what I would call a filter , more of a screen. but the parts manual and service manual calls it a filter.

Any inline filter would be an improvement!!! However, I recommend the Yamaha marine filter called the mini, P/N MAR-MINIF-LT-AS.

The filter can be mounted to the frame with two bolts. it is a canister type filter with a mount and a spin on filter. To replace the filter after the assembly is installed you spin it off like an oil filter and spin the new one on.

It is also a water separating filter and filter no pass size is 10 micron.
Just to give you an idea about how small 10 microns is, a virus is around 5 microns.

Price of the assembly is around $42.00 and the replacement filter is around $10.00.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts