Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been lurking here for a few days getting some ideas and help, but still not been able to find my issue. I have a 2007 650 H1 and there is a screaming or screeching sound coming from the transmission area. I pulled the one way sprag clutch out and it did not make much of a difference. I found what felt like some end play in the output shaft but did not break the entire motor open? What are the chances the noise is coming from the secondary shaft bearing vs the output shaft? I hope this is it as it looks easy to get to and I wish I had pulled it apart when i had the cover off before but I did not. The noise is worse in reverse under load but is noticeable in forward gear as well, when in nuetral or just not moving it's silent and sounds normal.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have been lurking here for a few days getting some ideas and help, but still not been able to find my issue. I have a 2007 650 H1 and there is a screaming or screeching sound coming from the transmission area. I pulled the one way sprag clutch out and it did not make much of a difference. I found what felt like some end play in the output shaft but did not break the entire motor open? what are the chances the noise is coming from the secondary shaft bearing vs the output shaft? I hope this is it as it looks easy to get to and I wish I had pulled it apart when i had the cover off before but I did not. The noise is worse in reverse under load but is noticeable in forward gear as well, when in nuetralor just not moving it's silent and sounds normal.
does it still shift normal,you said you pulled out the one way bearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, no issues there, I always shift at a complete stop or slow roll, but did not notice any difference before or after the spag was removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any luck here?

I was hoping I might get lucky and have it tur out to be the bearing they have labled here as carrier bearing "E" any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So if you rev it up in neutral it doesn't make the noise at all?

It could be a lot of things, but at least we can narrow it down based off of making the noise when in gear or not. Some items have bearings and are spinning all the time regardless whether in gear or not. Other items just in gear. So we can start narrowing that down. Your carrier bearing (item E) is just a small bearing inside that housing. On the other side of that is your output shaft bearing. The carrier bearing can be replaced just by pulling that housing off. However, if it is your output shaft bearing that will require you to split the cases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only seems to make the noise when moving, reverse under load is the the worse. It is much like a loud squeal but comes and goes, when it is not screaching its still noisy.

i have a video I will try and post up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am a newbie and it won't let me post links yet, but if you search you tube "julie n nickatroll" it will come up. Here is a video of the sound, but it is worse in reverse.

If both clutches and belt spin as the engine revs in neutral and their is no noise, but the final drive only spins when moving it would likely have to be my final drive bearings or one of the propeler shaft bearings correct?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You sure it's not coming from the differential? I'd be surprised if you lost a bearing. When did you change the oil and filter last? Did the oil have any filings or grit in it? Have you tried an oil change? Are you using reasonably good oil?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
So if you rev it up in neutral it doesn't make the noise at all?

It could be a lot of things, but at least we can narrow it down based off of making the noise when in gear or not. Some items have bearings and are spinning all the time regardless whether in gear or not. Other items just in gear. So we can start narrowing that down. Your carrier bearing (item E) is just a small bearing inside that housing. On the other side of that is your output shaft bearing. The carrier bearing can be replaced just by pulling that housing off. However, if it is your output shaft bearing that will require you to split the cases.
I thought you would get in on this one..............Listen to him.:):)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I found it the case is pulled apart right now with some parts on order. Looks like the bearing on the inside case of the output shaft went bad (not sure why, I bought it this way). Anyhow I have the parts I need in route with new bevel gears too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts