Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this about a year ago for a friend who doesn't have a license but needs to pick up his mail and groceries. Was tired of fixing a lifted gas ezgo and was happy to just get something that worked. Had some immediate ball joint issues but beyond that I never looked past adding oil. Had been hard to restart if it stalled for a number of weeks, now won't fire up at all. Fuel pump tests at 42 psi, injector sprays nicely when pointed at a paper towel, has spark and battery is good. Tested the coil even though I had spark because I thought it failed the secondary ohm test but I simply needed to set the VOM to 200k ohms instead of 20k ohms - live and learn. Finally checked for tdcs and got a sc15 and sc21. Would those keep it from firing up or are those side issues? Been taking care of a dozen vehicles for the past 30 years but this has got me scratching my head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put together a crude leakdown tester (one gauge) and got very bad leakage, kinda sounded like it was coming past the rings (hard to get an ear down by the oil fill cap) which I was afraid of. Air filter lid had been missing a clip and to my horror the oil and dust was coating the throat of the throttle body etc. How about a breakfast of sand for who knows how long... Anyway, I pulled off the top of the engine, got the piston out and the now very skinny top ring has an enormous gap. Cylinder looks better than expected so I'm going to hone it and put in a namura piston and ring kit. Of course I could go further but this Cat is only going to be basic transportation not a mudder so I'm hoping this will suffice Had some worries cracking the cylinder head bolts because with the amount of twist inherent in the narrowed shaft I thought they were seized in the case. Phew! Doing this with the engine still in the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my local motorcycle shop guy looked at the cylinder and showed me in no uncertain terms that the wear was excessive and it couldn't even be replated. This jug is simply impossible to find and every source says November for backordered. It's part number 0804-024, also -053,-060, and - 065 as updated catalog numbers. Any secret sources out there besides an atv boneyard with lotsa weeds?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts