Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with a noise from the center brake, When I have to use my brakes hard it makes a grinding noise. I was told that the brake just needed to be worn alittle , I have over 1000 miles on it now and it still makes the noise, any suggestion would be appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry to say, you will always have that noise. One of the flaws of the prowler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Braking noise

Has anyone had a problem with a noise from the center brake, When I have to use my brakes hard it makes a grinding noise. I was told that the brake just needed to be worn alittle , I have over 1000 miles on it now and it still makes the noise, any suggestion would be appreciated.:confused:
I know exactly what the problem is. It is very common and the same thing happened on my 2008 700 EFI. I was at the first ever Prowler Ride held in the Black Hills of South Dakota this Labor Day weekend and asked the same question to one of the Arctic Cat engineers. I was told the braking disc has developed a very slight warp. I was told to replace the disc with a new 2009 brake disc. The new 2009 brake discs were updated. I replaced the brake disc and new brake pads and so far no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOISE from the center brake

Weel you where right they said that the Rotor is bad and they will replace it but don't know if they will cover the pads, because it is not a safety issue? The problem is due to poor workmenship, That is why they went to brakes on all 4? I think they should recall all of them and have it done right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have took my 08' 650, back to the dealership over this same problem, 2 times, they just tell me that "all the prowlers" do it, and theres nothing they can do about it. they say the warrenty will not fix it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have the 09 xtx 700 and when i brake sometimes i get this nasty sounding rattling coming from center brake. had the same noise from the center brake on my grizzly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 09 makes the exact same noise, It's because its a drive shaft brake and not a wheel brake, too much slop in the drive line for it to not make noise. All prowlers should have had rear wheel discs.

Goon

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Slop in the drive line has nothing to do with it. If you look close you will see that the rotor is attached to the diff hub that is supported by bearings in the diff off the pinion. If it was because of the slop in the drive shaft it would rattle all the time.
My 09 makes the exact same noise, It's because its a drive shaft brake and not a wheel brake, too much slop in the drive line for it to not make noise. All prowlers should have had rear wheel discs.

Goon

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slop in the drive line has nothing to do with it. If you look close you will see that the rotor is attached to the diff hub that is supported by bearings in the diff off the pinion. If it was because of the slop in the drive shaft it would rattle all the time.
On my 08 I had my center rotor replaced and brake pads and springs put on and it only does it when I have to stop fast, Arctic cat and my dealer took care of the bill. I agree they should recall all the prowlers and put on rear brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
dude, surely u got enough sense to know what slop in the driveline means, it doesnt mean that the bearing is wore out. The gear to gear shaft that rides thru the bottom of the engine case, is the same shaft the brake disk is attached to, go outside put your prowler in neutral, grab that shaft, undo your parkbrake, then twist that shaft with yourhands back and fourth......that (slop) u feel, is what causes that awful rattling in the brake system. the gears inside the engine case is where all the slope is at!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Bigbearslgc you will have to pardon me I am just starting out in this prowler stuff. One point I would like to make is that not all prowlers have the noises when the brake is applied hard. And in my limited experience even with rhinos it has been the brake rotor being warped somewhat. Yes I have seen it on them too. Similar noise from the same area. Another point dude I would like to make is if it from slop in the drivel line I would think that it would do it under acceleration too. Same situation just on the oppiste side of the gears and splines. And if it does not do it under hard acceleration than surely it would do it under light acceleration. And sureley it would have a hell of a noise when let off of the gas. Ya know from the drive line flopping all over the place and the massive amount of slop and backlash.
I never said anything about the bearing being worn out. I just stated that there are bearings supporting the the pinion shaft and that the brake hub is attached to it.
What I have seen the splined styleslip yoke drive shaft assembly dry out and need to be serviced. And I have seen a few prowlers get fixed by either gettering a truer rotor installed on them or trueing it on a lathe.
You guys could have some that have alot more play in them than what I am talking about or have seen.
dude, surely u got enough sense to know what slop in the driveline means, it doesnt mean that the bearing is wore out. The gear to gear shaft that rides thru the bottom of the engine case, is the same shaft the brake disk is attached to, go outside put your prowler in neutral, grab that shaft, undo your parkbrake, then twist that shaft with yourhands back and fourth......that (slop) u feel, is what causes that awful rattling in the brake system. the gears inside the engine case is where all the slope is at!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
291 Posts
All i know is that my 09 xtx 700 & my son in laws 09xtz 1000 both make the same noise. And since i know what the problem is i just turn my radio up so i don't hear it. I can't see changing my rotor the way i ride because once you get it hot and hit the water the new will warp also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rotor warped

This guy that just turns up the radio and lets it go, you will see side to side movement in the shaft and have to have it replaced anyway, To warp it going thru water doesn't make any sense, Because the front rotors would warp to, You would have to ride the brake constantly to get it that hot. Have it changed you will see a big difference at least the spring kit. Good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
All i know is that my 09 xtx 700 & my son in laws 09xtz 1000 both make the same noise. And since i know what the problem is i just turn my radio up so i don't hear it. I can't see changing my rotor the way i ride because once you get it hot and hit the water the new will warp also.
the 09 xtz has 4 wheel disc, not a center brake.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts