Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the site! Are the brakes being applied going down the steep hill? If so, it is more than likely the infamous rear brake chatter! This is a constant on Prowlers with the brake rotor on the rear drivetrain. Brake rotor could be warped, brake pads need replaced, anti-rattle spring is weak, or missing, or all of the above! If the brakes are not being applied, then the Oneway bearing could be the next suspected part! AC issued an advisory on the bearing that in certain conditions they recommend removing it. Heavy loading (steep hills!), plowing, or other adverse conditions. I removed mine (2009 XTX) about two years ago, eliminated a lot of noise and only a slight decline in engine braking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you remove one way bearing
I just got the bike a few weeks ago the motor was shot so I just got done putting a 700 out of a 2014 mud pro in it and it runs good the motor only had 500 miles on it I have not been in a clutch on one yet

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not too bad of job. First I remove the seats, and the floor (gives you much more room, and you can see the frame and other obscured areas) then pull the outer clutch cover, and remove the primary, and secondary clutches (good Tips in the frequently asked questions area of this forum!) Once clutches are removed, drain the oil (might just as well change the filter now also!), then pull the inner cover off. The oneway bearing sits on the clutch hub. Now just reverse the process and you are good to go! I have two oneway bearings in my parts bin, and I'll never put one back in! What little bit of engine braking I've lost, I can gain back by blipping the throttle!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Doubtful on the shift linkage, these things are either in gear or not, and when out of gear it will let you know! Also dash pod will light up an error message. I adjust mine in neutral, then try the gears. Linkage on these like all UTV's are stiff to operate. They have one heck of a spring for the shifter detents! These things do take time to learn what they like, and dislike! It took me a couple of months to learn my driving style, and what my machine liked! Once past that I got creative and started tearing it down every chance I got! LOL Learned a lot, and made it mine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely the rear brake checked it this evening not sure what part but it the brake for sure don't know where those springs go so it might not even have them at all

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
The springs hook to the brake pads and go around the caliper to hold tension on the pads, even with the springs mine rattled so I put a piece of 5/8" heater hose under the springs to tighten them up. It helps but I can still hear it sometimes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
For a quick look up of part numbers go into the Arctic Cat Store, all of the ROV years/models are listed. If you need to order parts try Babbitts in Michigan, they give about the best discount. Service Manuals are a must!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Grinding when going down steep hills
sounds like your all set to do some more maintenance .. welcome to the house and you've been communicating with the resident expert on all things single cylinder .. but care is needed as he gets a fat head quickly LOL JUST KIDDING

now for the important part , the newbys first priority is to bring in a load of wood for the fire pit and start morning coffee ... many of us are early risers and like our coffee strong but not burnt / boiled down so keep it fresh .. so visit often , sit around the fire pit and swap some lies with the rest of us and for sure fill in your location and signature lines so we know what you have later when you ask a question we don't have to ask one back before we get to some good advice :) ... BTW I'm the resident smart ass if ya haven't figured that out yet.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
WTF! LOL Gary, no offence ever taken!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hmmm I'm thinking we need some shots of bourbon for the coffee to help choke down some of the "resident smart ass" BS! >:):laugh:

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Just enough to hold back the cold!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
prefer brandy in the mornings coffee thanks :)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Yup, that also works! Funny how we butcher the posts! Old People wander all over! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
How do I edit my profile location signature etc..
Click on "User CP" in the upper right hand side of the screen, once on that page all the links on the left side will let you edit your details.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not familiar with the Mud Pro brake set up, the knuckles have different part numbers, but the bearing is the same. Afraid not much help here! Be an interesting swap!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts