Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 650 and I know I need to do the brakes on it, I've been putting it off all summer and now once winter comes I'll be using the prowler a lot more plowing.
I'm trying to find a rear brake disc for it. Everywhere I'm looking saying the disc is just for the front for 2008 and front and back for 2009-up.
So could someone point me in the right direction for a rear disc.
And how hard of a job is it on these? I've never done ATV/UTV brakes, a lot of car/trucks but never any of these.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did change my brakes this spring. The front and rear is NOT the same. I bought a set og EBC aftermarked brakedisc on the the front, and ended up with an OEM rotor for rear for the same reason as you (hard to find aftermarked). I ordered it at gearhead.com becouse they ship to Norway. There are also several other stores on net which offers OEM parts.
The front is easy. The rear isnt that bad either. Just make sure to release the parking brake when doing it (wich I forgott at first..).

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Looked up the part number for your rear disc. , and where it is used. From the parts manual a newer rear disc will fit your machine. The number I looked up is 1402-710. According to the Arctic Cat Store parts look up, they used the same rear disc throughout the years on 650/700 XT's, XTX's, and HDX's.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Did change my brakes this spring. The front and rear is NOT the same. I bought a set og EBC aftermarked brakedisc on the the front, and ended up with an OEM rotor for rear for the same reason as you (hard to find aftermarked). I ordered it at gearhead.com becouse they ship to Norway. There are also several other stores on net which offers OEM parts.
The front is easy. The rear isnt that bad either. Just make sure to release the parking brake when doing it (wich I forgott at first..).
EBC makes a good product. Been running their severe duty pads on my Eiger for years and they really hold up to mud.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Keep hearing good things about EBC products! I'm still using my factory brake pads, they are holding up great, and the noise has been minimal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered my parts last week still waiting on everything to come in. Anyone have a writeup on how to do the rear?
I looked at the front and it looks to be the same or very similar to a car or truck, just smaller scale. But I don't know where to start with the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I ordered my parts last week still waiting on everything to come in. Anyone have a writeup on how to do the rear?
I looked at the front and it looks to be the same or very similar to a car or truck, just smaller scale. But I don't know where to start with the rear.
Do you have a repair manual? You can download a free pdf copy here: "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"
The pad install on the rear is about the same but you may need to adjust the park brake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked though the manual, what about replacing rear rotor? Maybe it's in there, I just didn't see it

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Remove the parking brake caliper, drop the drive shaft, and the rotor is bolted to the flange. Pretty straight forward at that point. I didn't find much in the manual either!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
are you changing the rotor or just the pads? The pads are easy pretty much like any car or truck disk brake replacement. Take a look at it and do a quick study of it and its pretty self explanatory what needs to come off.

On my 2010 XTX it was easier for me to just pop the bed off and get it at it that way. Did a few other things while I was under there too.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Good idea about removing the bed! I usually just pull the bolt and let it set all of the way back.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Looked up the part number for your rear disc. , and where it is used. From the parts manual a newer rear disc will fit your machine. The number I looked up is 1402-710. According to the Arctic Cat Store parts look up, they used the same rear disc throughout the years on 650/700 XT's, XTX's, and HDX's.
The 2006 had a different rear disc it was indented on one side 2007 and up was smooth.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got the parts in Wednesday and started working on it yesterday, did the front no problem. But once I got to the rear I ran into a couple issues, one being I can't get the rotor off. All the torx bits I have are too far at the base to use, so my only option was go to harbor fright and buy a set of impact torx because they are longer and I can fir them in there. Got home and broke the new bit, first try. Went back and got it replaced and broke the replacement.
I gave up after that and put it back together with just new pads for now.

The other issue I found isn't related to the brakes but I found another problem one it was on the lift. Both rear coil springs are broken. The driver side is broken in 3 spots and pass in 1. I don't really know how this would have happened, the arctic cat was never really used for weight in the bed. Was really used to drive on dirt roads and plowing snow. But, anyway can anyone point me in the direction for new springs, don't know if I should go oem or if there's something good for aftermarket. I bought the brake stuff from gearhead, who I'd rather not buy from again, it took 3 weeks for the rear rotor to get here.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Unfortunately ordering from most of the online places end up in a longer wait time. They don't have many of the older Prowler parts on hand so the order from Arctic Cat which doubles the shipping time. Some parts like the exhaust header are no longer made by Arctic Cat and can only be bought used if you can find them, I found out the hard way on that one.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You may need to apply some heat to the rear dics bolts, there may be lock tite on them.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
You may need to apply some heat to the rear dics bolts, there may be lock tite on them.
When I went to the rear disc conversion,My bolts wouldn't come out of my rear rotor either,so I just left it on......I'm sure they have loctite on the torx bolts,my torx set from sears was too short also.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'll have to check my torx bits, going to replace the rear gear sometime!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did use a couple of bits myself when I replaced rear rotor and pads this spring. Heat like RD says, made the difference for me.
Im pretty sure the manual says red loctite #271 on those torx bolts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I think your right! Stuff holds pretty good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts