Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2009 prowler xtz 1000. i have seen some posts and talk about trans problems and people having to replace motors etc etc. It has only 2000 miles on it and the guy says its does not have any problems. The price is good at $7200. Just dont want to get into a machine that I will have to keep spending money on. Any Advice? The only work done on it according to AC was a water pump replacement under warranty.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'd check out the top end of the motor, and see if there is any evidence of motor teardown. Check shifting, low gear, hi gear, and reverse operation. 7,200 is around KBB value so that is good. Does it look like it had a bad life? How are the tires? These are good machines as long as they are maintained.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
agreed RD

mine has 6K miles and ZERO issues , it has always had a loud tranny but believe some of that noise is location of engine and clutch noise.

as said above proper maintenance is the key to life in all off road rigs !! that and PM part replacements before any breakage .. worn part replace / rebuild it and your not left stranded.

mine HAS been used in ruff terrain it whole life and has towed a camp trailer much of it's miles.

belt was replaced {PM REPLACEMENT as there was plenty of life left in it} at +/- 5K mikes.

if it's sound now buy it if that's what you want engine CC wise.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2009 prowler xtz 1000. i have seen some posts and talk about trans problems and people having to replace motors etc etc. It has only 2000 miles on it and the guy says its does not have any problems. The price is good at $7200. Just dont want to get into a machine that I will have to keep spending money on. Any Advice? The only work done on it according to AC was a water pump replacement under warranty.
I would check it out with a fine tooth comb..........if some kid rode it he can put a hurtin on it in 2000 miles....just be careful.....too bad you don't live closer my dealer has a brand new 2013 XTZ 1000 For 10,000.............you might to check with different dealers,there is several xtz 1000's that are left overs.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd check out the top end of the motor, and see if there is any evidence of motor teardown. Check shifting, low gear, hi gear, and reverse operation. 7,200 is around KBB value so that is good. Does it look like it had a bad life? How are the tires? These are good machines as long as they are maintained.
I will definately look it over. All I have seen is pics so far. Im told not hard use though. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The only issue with mine was the hard facing on 1 gear in my trans that was not up to par and was ear bleeding loud on accel. dealer replaced under extended warranty.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Send pictures, we love to help people spend money! LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
.too bad you don't live closer my dealer has a brand new 2013 XTZ 1000 For 10,000
that would be my choice .. updated engine internals for the intro / first model production. IMHO be worth the trailering to get it... if within a few states drive

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
From LaCrosse to Parkersburg, its only 11 hours and 750 miles each way (with likely at least 1 overnight stay) = a reasonable effort and expense to get a brand new machine, with a warranty (and the opportunity to get an extended warranty).

Also, you might check into shipping it. That may be cheaper than driving there and back.

Its certainly worthwhile to consider the new one at $10,000. I paid close to $14,000, back in 2009, for mine.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
just looked at the new 1000 yahama sport SxS .. $$19XXX[XX forgot but large].00 dollars

that $10K looks cheep now LOL

also didn't that year switch to round tube roll cage ? if so another plus !! as VERY HARD to find accessories for the square tube ones and getting worse daily

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From LaCrosse to Parkersburg, its only 11 hours and 750 miles each way (with likely at least 1 overnight stay) = a reasonable effort and expense to get a brand new machine, with a warranty (and the opportunity to get an extended warranty).

Also, you might check into shipping it. That may be cheaper than driving there and back.

Its certainly worthwhile to consider the new one at $10,000. I paid close to $14,000, back in 2009, for mine.
What is the name of your dealer. That isnt a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
What is the name of your dealer. That isnt a bad idea.
de3 is the forum member that that has the dealer with the new XTZ @ $10,000. He is a regular on the site and should read your post soon.

If you would like to contact him directly, click on his avatar and send him a private message.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At that price, I would look into the new one as well. I paid less than that w/ 1500 miles and a ton$$$ of upgrades. Good luck with the search!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
More food for thought! You can finance a new machine, and it may be hard with a used one. Loan Value on a 2010 would be in the high 4,000 dollar range.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I was over at the Arctic cat shop,yesterday.....the 2013 xtz 1000 is gone,some guy traded a street bike for it....that was the last of the left over prowlers.....:(

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Seems like they sit forever, and then when someone is interested they are gone! I looked at lakeside here, they had the 2012 that was a dealer demo around forever! Decent price, and it vanished quickly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't Laugh at me!

I ended up going with a brand new 2016 Cub Cadet Challenger 700. It is their new crossover type (work and sport) type machine. I haven't picked it up yet but I did put down $100 so they hold it. $7200 on an almost 8 year old machine with no warranty didn't make sense when I can get a new machine for $8999.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Smart move! Seeing more and more Cub Cadets! I bought mine used, 3 years old, 366 miles. First one I ever owned! Still got it 7,800 miles and still in one piece! I knew absolutely nothing about UTV's other than a friend of mine had a Ranger!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts