Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So against my better judgement I bought a non running 2009 Prowler 700 XTX. The Previous owner had taken pretty good care of it but two weekends ago it quit running while hunting turkeys. He only used it once per year so he said he was moving onto to focus on horses and motor cycles. When I got there he had the valve cover off and had the crank set to TDC. He then loosened the Cam Tensioner and manipulated the cam gear and chain to get the two marks on the cam aligned with the head. He then said he was screwing in the tensioner as far as it would go to put a little pressure on the chain so that he could start it for 2 seconds to show that it ran. It did. He said the Tensioner was bad and that would take care of it. He had checked compression and said it was all within spec. It just needed the faulty tensioner replaced. He was sure enough that he said if it wasn't it his name is his word and would help with whatever it ended up being. I was able to find the last tensioner west of the mississippi due to Arctic Cat being back ordered on them until October! I set everything up on the motor tonight. Cams facing down, Everything at TDC. Checked the cylinder though the spark plug hole and it's at the top. When I released tension on the tensioner there is still a lot of slack in the chain. I can lift the chain 1/8th of an inch on the gear, exposing the chamfer of the gear teeth. I'm assuming this is a bad thing. In my Landcruiser world it's a bad thing. It also looks like the inside side of the chain has mushroomed. You can see it in the pictures. My question is, what's next? Replace the chain and chain guides? The kids wanted to take this thing out for a spin this weekend but I don't think that is in the cards.

Trent Taylor

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
Chain replacement is called for, not to bad of job. Remove the clutches, drain the oil before you pull the inner case. Wet clutch nut is a left hand thread. Go to frequently asked questions to view clutch removals. Service manual available at Country Cat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton RD. So pull basics are to pull the valve cover, the head and then remove the clutches as you described? Do I need ot pull the cylinder Base as well? I'm trying to put together a parts list to order from and figure the following:
Chain
Tensioner (already have new one)
Head gasket
Base gasket (if removing the base)

Anything Else?

Trent

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
No need to replace the base gasket, there are three studs that keep the gasket compressed, plus the head bolts. And no reason to pull the head unless you have concerns on piston/rings. Valve cover is sealed with silicone. Pretty easy to do, timing will take several tries as you get used to it! Have fun, take your time, drink a tall cool one! These motors are pretty durable, and easy to work on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're the man. I'll take pictures and see if I can add value to the forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last question for the day. Any idea where to get the cam chain? Babbits didn't have them and check the nation wide dealer inventory and they are out of stock until September! I called my local dealers and they said the same thing.
0810-001

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
I'll see what I can locate and let you know by Sunday. I've located some stuff on ebay. Any contribution to the forum is always welcome! We have a great group on this site.

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks, I will order one from Partzilla and give them a call in the morning. The shipping in 9-12 days means they don't have it in stock. I talked to a couple local dealers and they are hurting as Arctic Cat is out of tons of stuff. This timing chain goes on dozens of models. It is amazing how fast a supply chain can crumble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found a couple rebuilt motors for $2700 that would get the rig running for the summer. Seems extreme so I'm still searching options. Is there any cross over between 700 H1 motors in ATV's and Prowlers? Country Cat has an ATV version for $1999.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you check parts from countrycat? Ebay?
I put a 2016 700 h1 from an Alterra in a ‘08 XTX. Only difference is the shift position sensor plug and I had to swap the yoke on the output shaft. Other than that I’m pretty sure any 700 h1 would drop in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
ATV/UTV use the same basic motor design, minor differences, but the swap is doable! Cruisertoy, where are you located?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ATV/UTV use the same basic motor design, minor differences, but the swap is doable! Cruisertoy, where are you located?
I'm in Orem Utah. I'll look into the swap but am continuing to try to find the elusive timing chain. I've messaged a half dozen used parts and engine rebuilding businesses. Nothing yet

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
Went through my spare parts, and lo and behold I have a timing chain for a 700! You pay postage, and it is yours! PM me your address, and I can send it out ASAP. I'm in Kingman AZ.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put a 2016 700 h1 from an Alterra in a ‘08 XTX. Only difference is the shift position sensor plug and I had to swap the yoke on the output shaft. Other than that I’m pretty sure any 700 h1 would drop in.

Awesome to know! It looks like RD has a chain for me but if the rabbit hole goes even deeper I'm all over this option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Did you have to swap out the ECM for a 2016? I'm assuming you woudn't have to since your swapping the Prowler Fuel injection over to the Alterra motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For Posterity, the prowler is now running again. Big thanks to RD for digging deep into his stock and finding a slightly used timing chain. When I removed the old chain it would not even flex under it's own weight! There are a few tell tale signs that this rig was not in as pristine condition engine wise as the seller led me to believe. That's the way it goes though and we are working through it. I'll post a few pictures in a day or two. Plus I'll do a write-up on the steps to replace the chain. The little engines are so different than the Truck motors I'm used to. We made liberal use of a 4 foot cheater bar. Good times

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
Glad you have it up and running! These things are a blast to ride!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts