Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the timing chain thing to mine back in late winter and found the chain to be in exactly the condition you describe. Mine had belonged to my brother and I knew he wasn't so hot on maintenance so I wasn't surprised. I took the engine out to do mine. I know it sounds crazy but the shafts come off easily, the exhaust is easy to get to and the 4 bolts that hold the sub-frame for the engine came right out. Sat it on a work table and did it all while standing up. I'm too old for all that prolonged bending over. I will say this about them. They are the easiest SxS to work on that I've ever been around and I've owned 6 different brands. My current "play" one is a Can Am Commander. An absolute nightmare for a DIYer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the timing chain thing to mine back in late winter and found the chain to be in exactly the condition you describe. Mine had belonged to my brother and I knew he wasn't so hot on maintenance so I wasn't surprised. I took the engine out to do mine. I know it sounds crazy but the shafts come off easily, the exhaust is easy to get to and the 4 bolts that hold the sub-frame for the engine came right out. Sat it on a work table and did it all while standing up. I'm too old for all that prolonged bending over. I will say this about them. They are the easiest SxS to work on that I've ever been around and I've owned 6 different brands. My current "play" one is a Can Am Commander. An absolute nightmare for a DIYer.
Same here, even with the atvs. I owned almost every brand and Arctic Cat is the easiest to work on/maintenance IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good to hear guys. Here is what my chain looked like. I've never had a worn timing chain bind up under its own weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My next adventure is replacing all the front end ball joints and bushing as well as the tie rod ends. Everything wiggled up there. I have new wheel bearings as well. The joys of previous owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow I have a 2008 arctic cat prowler 700 h1 efi ....... that timing chain and shape looks exactly like the one I just replaced!!! same bends and curves at the same places maybe i will post a picture at some point soon

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
And yet they manage to run! Factory bushings really are a weak link! I put Rick the Rocket light steer bushings in mine, made a big difference in steering, added some much needed chamber!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
RD, We used the Prowler up in the hills this weekend. We confirmed the steering is super loose but it took the kids where they wanted to go. I tore all the front control arms and wheel bearing assemblies apart last night. I pressed out the ball joints and put the new ones in. I'm not happy with the new ones as I did not have to press them back in. They also spin slightly in the control arms. I have all new bushings but I did not get the Bolt and "axle/ sleeve" for the upper or lower control arms. When removed there is quite a bit of play between the bolt and the sleeve on the upper. I'll call my dealer and see if they have another set. I had a bear of a time getting the drivers side Bearing assembly to come off of the CV. In the end it pulled off, leaving one of the bearing races on the CV. Tonight I will heat the race up and get it off. If it's not one thing it's 10.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
The joys of owning any brand SXS. How does it run?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
New..New Ball joints arrived. I'm still waiting on the bolts and sleeves but those should be here thursday. Button everything back up and have the old girl out in the dirt this weekend hopefully.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
Sounds like a plan! Get her dirty!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts