Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got a 2009 xtx 700 and the 4x4 is stuck in 4x4 and won't come out. The actuator is buzzing to activate the 4x4 and buzzs to disengage just as it always has, but it is stuck in 4x4. The actuator is engaging the diff lock as it should, and disengaging as it should. Could the actutor be messed up inside to make it sound that its working but is really not or could it be a bent shift fork or just a dirty actuating shaft thats stuck in the case somewhere? I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what was the final result of the problem, before I start tearing into it! Thanks in advance!

Goon

·
Registered
656 Posts
Does it still display 4wd on the dash?
Thats what i'm thinking. May be in the display. I would set it up on some jack stands or something to see if it truely is i 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The display says its in 2 wheel drive, I know that its stuck in 4x4 because I took it to a muddy area and all 4 wheels are chewing when it's set in 2 wheel drive, definatly NOT and electical issue, something mechanical.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actuator is buzzing to go into and to go out of 4x4, that doesn't mean something inside it is pooched, that is what I leaning towards. I haven't had it apart yet but I was wonder ing if it couls be something else, like a broken shift fork, I hope not!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think i read on here somewhere the some of the prowlers do have a weak actuator. If that's the case it could be buzzing like its working but too weak to disengage the diff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally had a day off to look at this machine, went to the local dealer picked up an actuator, he gave me a cut on the price, $317.00 he charged me, remember it's canadian pricing. Got it home and went to wash off buggy and do some tinkering, drove it out of the garage, washed it, and thought to check to see if its stilll locked up, and it wasn't! Checked to see if it would lock up and out properly and everything is working as it should! Not sure what to think of this issue!

·
Registered
3 Posts
take the actuator off the front diff plug it back in and then hit your switch to see if it is engaging like it should... If the actuator goes out the diff will be locked in 4x4. The diff without an acuator or a broke actuator will stay in 4x4 the actuator actually disengages the 4x4. Sounds like yours is broken. I would take it off and try operating it. If it works fine off of the diff then you have something internally wrong with the diff and you will need to remove the diff. FYI it comes out under the bike so remove the front of the skid plate to get it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I first bought it I took every electical connector apart and put dielectric grease in every connector, when I took this one apart yesterday, it still had the grease in it and had no corrosion. For $hits and giggles, i removed the actuator and checked for proper movement, all is fine, the only thing i can come up with is something was hanging it up on the inside. It works perfectly now!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Glad it all worked out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts