Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I spent about 3hrs., using the search feature. Read quite a few interesting posts, but still have no idea how to remove my front right axle to replace the outer boot!
I removed tire/rim, removed the disc/caliper, got the cotter pin and crown nut off, got the steering gizmo moved to the side, cut the clamps off the outer boot, cut the clamp off the inner boot (large end), but how do you remove the axle, I thought I could remove the outer C.V. joint, but that doesn't seem to be possible, so it looks like the whole axle has to be removed and the boot must have to slide on from the in-board end??????

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've only had to replace a rear drive axle, so I don't know if they are the same as a front axle, but to get the rear out I had to strip it down so the axle could come out like you have done. After I did that I had to push in on the half shaft that connects the inner and outer joints. This pushed the inner joint into the differential, which was easy to do. But I had to push a little bit harder to get it to go in all the way. There is a tapered pin on the inside of the spline that when pushed out will allow some detents to go inward and release the clip on the splines. Then while I had the shaft pushed in ALL the way to where it wouldn't go in anymore, I had a friend pull on the cup of the axle and it pulled right out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it took a few hrs., but the service dept. where I bought it finally called back!
Easy as pie, once he walked me through it!
You have to release the inner boot and slide it down the axle, then you push the axle in, about 1.5", there is a sping clip that is in a groove just inside the inner hub, remove the clip and the inner C.V. joint seperates. Slide the axle out, there is a C-clip that holds the C.V. to the axle, remove it, slide the boots off and there you go. Replace the boots, the C-clip, slide the axle back in,hold the axle all the way in, replace the spring clip and put it back together!
Now that I have done it, I could probably do it again in about 1 hr,!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts