Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering a side x side for a couple of months and have been focusing on Polaris RZR's primarily because the local market seems flooded with them. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2010 Prowler 1000 with very low miles and in great condition. It is not as "sporty" looking as the RZR but is still a good looking macine. I plan to travel on forest service and high desert roads. Is the Prowler too much machine? Are there any other concerns or suggestions that anyone might have.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I got prowler 700 xtx -08 and its my work machine i have snowplow and its great tool in winter. I live in finland ( as you can notice) and we have lot of snow in winter :) in work i pull iron beams off and on shelf, moving trailers etc. But I go very often for a drive with my wife also. Its a good machine and my favorite toy :) and my wife likes it too ;)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have been considering a side x side for a couple of months and have been focusing on Polaris RZR's primarily because the local market seems flooded with them. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2010 Prowler 1000 with very low miles and in great condition. It is not as "sporty" looking as the RZR but is still a good looking macine. I plan to travel on forest service and high desert roads. Is the Prowler too much machine? Are there any other concerns or suggestions that anyone might have.
Welcome to the best prowler site,A lot depends if you plan on jumping your machine,the 1000 is a power house plus it has more room to carry stuff if you plan on going on big adventures.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have never driven a RZR or a 1000, but I think a lot would depend on what you are planning on using the machine for. The Prowler 1000 should have a ton of power and be good for work or play. If you plan on using it for utility, hunting, and need to carry some cargo then the 1000 should be great for that. The RZR doesn't seem to have the carrying capacity, and may be best for play, although I do see them used for a bit of everything. Guess it depends to on what kind of deal you can get.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have never driven a RZR or a 1000, but I think a lot would depend on what you are planning on using the machine for. The Prowler 1000 should have a ton of power and be good for work or play. If you plan on using it for utility, hunting, and need to carry some cargo then the 1000 should be great for that. The RZR doesn't seem to have the carrying capacity, and may be best for play, although I do see them used for a bit of everything. Guess it depends to on what kind of deal you can get.
Thats true Shane,I know a guy that uses his for oilfield work.:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Brian lets hear you thought's.....................

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
hey welcome to the site!! I have driven them both an rzr and a xtx 1000,,, the xtx to me is an animal in a good way!!! more than enough power comfortable and what I like is the ability to se where your going ,,your looking down on everything,you can se where your front tires are ay all times ...a ton of storage space in the back and under the hood,,, very easy to work on....I owned a rzrs for a short time ,tried to get used to it ,,just couldn't do it !!! no engine break,, no diff lock,and when it finaly kiched in to 4 wheel drive it was usualy to late already sideways......the most important thing was getting in and out sucked no room at all my thoughts are test drive anything you can get you hands on if you can before you buy ,,,its all personal prefrance, :D:D:D hows that mike??;) I recently bout another prowler a 2012 xtx 700 wich I love and its got plenty of power for the way I ride........

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house I DE HO from CdA, Id here

IMHO never enough power :) ..

your personal size [how you fit in the cab] and what you plan on using it for make a big difference in recommendations , then your normal ride area is the next thing .. we are very lucky to live in a state the believes in outdoor use and has hundreds and hundreds/thousands of miles of trails and the vast majority are over the 50" thing.

in the north state with our mountains and heavy wooded trails the extra power is a real plus ... just make sure to use the gearing properly or risk burning a belt in ANY BRAND ... real steep long stuff both loaded and unloaded use low range even though the power of the 1000 will take you up those steep grades the belts don't like that torque applied then.

investigate the 4WD system and how they operate as said above .. in my area IMHO the RZR isn't a real good mountain / hunting / camping rig do to that issue and size or carrying space / weight limits

where is home ??

fill out the signature line when you get your rig and also the location line .. helps in answering questions without additional back n forth questions, we'll have a clue to ride areas and such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I have no plans for racing or jumping this machine. My wife and I just want to enjoy the outdoors and primarily do day rides in the high desert or wooded areas around the Boise area. Gary, we also have a rental property in CDA along the Spokane River. So, we would be riding in your neck of the woods as well. This 2010 has just over 600 miles, and I believe it is priced right. Is there a price point that any of you would be concerned about not going over? I also realize that the Prowler is somewhat of a hybrid sport/work UTV, and that does not concern me. Thanks again for the information!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I have not kept up on prices used or new so no help there

post up if your up in my neck of the woods , we'll give ya some good ride area's [there are many ! ] ...

if you'r looking for ride buddy's I'll post a small web site where some local Boise guys hang out [again a small site] .. several guys are from out of the area but ride in your area .. the fellow that posts there as RZRider [sp?] is in your town and if ya look on that site you'll see where we plan outings and some long camp n cross country rides ... we have taken several 800+ mile loop rides. lots of fun and camaraderie there too. some real experienced back woods riders on the site.. couple have property in Cascade where we head out.

WESTERN STATES OFF ROAD :: Index

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I have no plans for racing or jumping this machine. My wife and I just want to enjoy the outdoors and primarily do day rides in the high desert or wooded areas around the Boise area. Gary, we also have a rental property in CDA along the Spokane River. So, we would be riding in your neck of the woods as well. This 2010 has just over 600 miles, and I believe it is priced right. Is there a price point that any of you would be concerned about not going over? I also realize that the Prowler is somewhat of a hybrid sport/work UTV, and that does not concern me. Thanks again for the information!
What is the asking price...............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Asking price is 10K. I negotiated him down to 9K pretty fast. I do not want to gouge him, but I am thinking $8,500.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Asking price is 10K. I negotiated him down to 9K pretty fast. I do not want to gouge him, but I am thinking $8,500.
8,500 would be a great price,with that low of miles is it super clean.Is there any extras on it.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Any price around 9 is the current market, add on's don't seem to impact the price much in Northern Michigan area

1 - 15 of 15 Posts