Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried different oil or a friction modifier in these diffs i took mine apart today and it shows no signs of any wear at all. yet its not working proper .
I wonder if the friction modifiers in the factory oil just broke down. if you take them apart they are actually very well made no reason it shouldn't work.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I stick to the factory recommended lube with the modifier # 1436-159. How far were you able to take apart the differential? I' have close to 5,000 miles on mine and it is still working like new! I do have the parts already to switch it to a locked rear if it fails, but I do like the turf saver.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Do not use regular gear oil in it it will fail even faster

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have it right apart. everything looks great no reason for it to fail,slip clutch disks look new . i put it back together today and am going to play with some different oil/ friction modifiers and see what happens i have nothing to lose. i dont think i can do any harm if that doesnt work ill try and find another diff and steal a couple clutch plate and add them to mine it has to work some how .

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I've yet to look at mine, did you have to cut any welds to take it apart, or is it a bolted assembly? Can you provide pictures? Thanks

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
The turf saver reminds me of a ford P-Track, replace the clutch plates, or add more as needed! Very simple to work on, and they had a service pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i had to put it in a lathe and machine off a weld it wasn't a really big deal at at all you probably could die grind it then they just unthread but u cant find the clutch spacers anywhere it would be such a easy repair if you could . and no i didn't take pics sorry.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I called Currie's rear end to see if they could point me in a direction, No Go! Tried Eaton sites, no number to provide them with, Arctic Cat sells it as a unit, and that is the only number they will talk about. I'm ready to drain the lub out of mine, I usually check it for metal particles, or water. I'll keep using it until it shows signs of failing, then go with the locked ring gear. Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts