Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2010 XTX 700 with 900 miles. It is on 30" Maxxis (style) tires and 2" lift. Yesterday, I took it up to Windrock ORV and other than the brake chatter, I noticed a very loud whine/howl which sounds like it is coming from the rear end. It only happens upon deceleration. Once your foot is on throttle, it disappears. It happens in H or L or with the engine off and coasting. Is there a way to check the backlash in the rear gearbox? Could it be belt whine? It's loud enough that you have to raise your voice to talk over it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
believe what your hearing is normal Arctic Cat noise .. ours are noisy things .. tranny's are loud as heck in some models also

mine is a XTZ so some of the 700 guys will chime in soon too

and welcome to the house

fill in you location and your signature line [that will come in handy later if/when you ask other questions we can look where you are or what you have without extra back n forth questions on that].

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
believe what your hearing is normal Arctic Cat noise .. ours are noisy things .. tranny's are loud as heck in some models also

mine is a XTZ so some of the 700 guys will chime in soon too

and welcome to the house

fill in you location and your signature line [that will come in handy later if/when you ask other questions we can look where you are or what you have without extra back n forth questions on that].
I knew that noise was normal because I have owned (2) previous 650 prowlers but I just cant remember the whine being as loud as this one.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the site! I'm guessing you are hearing the one way bearing on deceleration! I removed mine and noticed a drastic reduction in noise. Performance wise, the only thing I noticed was a loss of engine braking under 10-15 mph. AC had a bulletin that recommended removing the one way bearing if pulling heavy loads, or plowing.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Yep.... One way bearing! I drove RD's after he removed it and what a difference! Mine's coming out on its next tear down. (that RD is gonna do for me :).... I hope.... some day....I'll buy the beer! )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think it is in the rear end. You can shut the cat off and coast down a big hill and it still does it. It also does it on the higher RPM ranges and from my understanding, the OWB only engages in the <1500rpm range?

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Yep.... One way bearing! I drove RD's after he removed it and what a difference! Mine's coming out on its next tear down. (that RD is gonna do for me :).... I hope.... some day....I'll buy the beer! )

Sounds like a plan! Bring it up, we can do your clutch work and hit the sand dunes! You would really like our riding areas!

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Do you have a turf saver rear end? If the noise is still an issue, the backlash on the gear set should be checked. They use shims to adjust the lash. Did removing the OWB help at all? Back to the Turf Saver rear, they require a lube with a friction modifier, AC has their own, but several other lubes are compatible. I think Sprectre brand will work, almost the same as the old fish oil they used to put in P-Trac rear ends!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a turf saver rear end? If the noise is still an issue, the backlash on the gear set should be checked. They use shims to adjust the lash. Did removing the OWB help at all? Back to the Turf Saver rear, they require a lube with a friction modifier, AC has their own, but several other lubes are compatible. I think Sprectre brand will work, almost the same as the old fish oil they used to put in P-Trac rear ends!
Yes, it is the turf saver which I hope to replace soon. Removing the OWB help some, yes. I did use the recommended AC hypoid gear oil from my local dealer.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Mine whines somewhat, but I think that is the whole drive line! Prowlers sure have a noisy drivetrain! Almost as bad as a wife! LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Opps! She'd love to hear from ya!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts