Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I have the red (19 gram) rollers in my prowler and would like to run 18's.. I'm hoping this will give me a little higher shiftout when on the gas.. It shifts out at around 5400 now. would heavier or lighter rollers give me higher rpms on takeoff?? I'm going with a slightly bigger/more aggressive tire. Anyhow, I ordered a set from EPI and when they came in all I got were the metal inserts, not the complete rollers... I can't get youtube on this comp. to watch the vid's and I was just wondering, do the metal centers just push out of the stock rollers? I don't want to have to do any cutting or mods to my stockers in case i wanna put them back in.. I've clutched machines before and I know it takes a lot of "playing" to get it the way I want..
Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
imo . dont change the clutching until you install the heavier tires. because you may not be happy with the changes to the clutch after you swap tires.

you may not notice much change in rpm or shift out by going just 1 gram on the rollers. you may need more than that . yes the lighter the roller the higher the shift out. just remember too much can be just as bad as not enough . i beleive the centers just push out but i have never tried to swap just the centers,. i think SPEEDWERX sell the complete rollers in many different weights ..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imo . dont change the clutching until you install the heavier tires. because you may not be happy with the changes to the clutch after you swap tires.

you may not notice much change in rpm or shift out by going just 1 gram on the rollers. you may need more than that . yes the lighter the roller the higher the shift out. just remember too much can be just as bad as not enough . i beleive the centers just push out but i have never tried to swap just the centers,. i think SPEEDWERX sell the complete rollers in many different weights ..
Right on, thanks for the help.. i'm actually on the speedwerx site right now.. was thinking about trying the 15 gram rollers.. the only thing is they're a smaller diameter roller to allow the belt to got further down in the clutch. I don't have any machining done to my sheaves and I would think this would cause the belt to wear out faster?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's what i'm planning on.. I just want to order a few different weights in so I have them before the new rubber shows up.. they're going to be a little bigger but lighter so I'm going to be playing around with a lot of different weights and combinations.. The tires will be going on in the next week or so.. I've been waiting for them to do some clutching.. can't wait.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a set (8) of EPI rollers.. .120 bucks..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What weight rollers did you purchase?
I bought the 12 gram weights as well as the housings for them, which according to the tech at epi weigh around 5 grams.. I got the new housings so now I can just buy different weights and play around with them..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that's a lot of $ for rollers
I know.. its seems like a lot but that's the best I could do in Canada.. the markups on parts here is a little crazy.. at least I got weights and rollers.. not too bad..:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts