Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help/advice.
I am dangerous enough to tool around with my UTV. I wired a light bar (which broke recently) and a radio (which I think is the culprit) to my battery. It keeps killing the brand new Li-Ion battery when not running, how/what could I have done wrong/backwards to draw the battery when the UTV is off and all parts off?
any/all advice would be helpful.
Thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
How long does it have to sit for the battery to be dead? Normally even a radio wired direct to hot takes a long time to run down a good battery...provided all functions of the radio are turned completely off, of course. The first thing I'd do is unhook the radio for a week or so and see if the battery still goes dead and determine if it is indeed the problem. If so, make sure to wire it somewhere that is only hot when the key is in the on position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long does it have to sit for the battery to be dead? Normally even a radio wired direct to hot takes a long time to run down a good battery...provided all functions of the radio are turned completely off, of course. The first thing I'd do is unhook the radio for a week or so and see if the battery still goes dead and determine if it is indeed the problem. If so, make sure to wire it somewhere that is only hot when the key is in the on position.
Dclay thank you! I should be getting it back from a friend any day now and I'll unhook everything I connected it to and make sure it's what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dclay thank you! I should be getting it back from a friend any day now and I'll unhook everything I connected it to and make sure it's what I'm doing wrong.
Now the question to really show you how dumb u am... How/what do I hook stuff up to so that it's only on when the key is turned on in the ignition? Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know specifically on that model what is keyed and what is hot all the time. On some machines the 12v outlet is only hot with the key on and it would be a good enough place to hook up a radio. You could test it with a phone charger. Plug it in with the key off. If it works then it's wired hot all the time. If it only works with the key on then it's keyed. If the outlet is hot all the time you'll need to search elsewhere for a keyed power source. For this you would need a test light or voltmeter...or beer to bribe a buddy who has one into helping you.
Just curious...is the light bar wired to a relay or just through a switch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know specifically on that model what is keyed and what is hot all the time. On some machines the 12v outlet is only hot with the key on and it would be a good enough place to hook up a radio. You could test it with a phone charger. Plug it in with the key off. If it works then it's wired hot all the time. If it only works with the key on then it's keyed. If the outlet is hot all the time you'll need to search elsewhere for a keyed power source. For this you would need a test light or voltmeter...or beer to bribe a buddy who has one into helping you.
Just curious...is the light bar wired to a relay or just through a switch?
Hello my friend I'm sorry i'm just now seeing your question.
It's wired directly to its own switch then to the battery, there's this black plastic box that has a metal piece coming off it that looks like it should be grounded to something (I haven't had the UTV the past month as it was at the mechanic who shook it down for me) so I pulled that fuse for now until I can investigate a bit more on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts