Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies 2011 HDX has 850 miles and his runs good at idle and slow speeds but not at high rpm or big load on engine. Gets worse the longer it runs. The fuel pump screams though, you can hear it when machine is running, and if you take fuel cap off its stupid loud. I think the fuel pump is shot, and when it gets hotter it runs worse. If it was the cdi box wouldn't it do it constantly? Need some ideas
Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site, like Rob said check the pressure and you might check the fuel filter also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! The HDX doesn't have a filter except for the sock type on end of pick up tube I believe. The machine is couple hours away, what do I need to get to plumb up a gauge to check fuel pressure? So it should have 43 pounds with key on? Or is there a port to install a gauge to check when it's running?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Thanks guys! The HDX doesn't have a filter except for the sock type on end of pick up tube I believe. The machine is couple hours away, what do I need to get to plumb up a gauge to check fuel pressure? So it should have 43 pounds with key on? Or is there a port to install a gauge to check when it's running?
If the sock was clogged the pump could pull enough fuel to run at low speeds but starve out running fast, I don't have fuel injection so I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking. But it gets worse after running half hour. So my thinking was the fuel pumps getting hot and not supplying enough. I'll try pulling it out next time I go up

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
That's what I was thinking. But it gets worse after running half hour. So my thinking was the fuel pumps getting hot and not supplying enough. I'll try pulling it out next time I go up
I agree also sounds like fuel pressure.sometimes the ecm box can start breaking down when it gets hotter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most dealers won't give out info like that because it takes business away from them. Worked at a new holland/kubota dealer and we never gar out info. I'm real close with my cat dealer, but I don't wanna piss them off lol. Why I come to forums for help haha

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Most dealers won't give out info like that because it takes business away from them. Worked at a new holland/kubota dealer and we never gar out info. I'm real close with my cat dealer, but I don't wanna piss them off lol. Why I come to forums for help haha
Never thought of that I have a couple of buddys that work at our dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm having probs opening that link. How does everyone setup to check fuel pressure?
I'm downloading the manual now and I'll see what I can find.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
The manual did not go into much detail other than remove the fuel line from the fuel log and use a suitable gage to check the pressure. 43PSI specified. Sure sounds like the pump is going bad, double check the electrical connections, a bad connection will cause more resistance when heated up. Shot in the dark! But I'm still thinking the pump is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts