Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Thought you'd like to know the new Polaris RZR XP 900 won the toughest race on the planet, the 2011 King of the Hammers in CA. Here's the results we have so far:

1st Place - Brandon Schueler - Jagged X - RZR XP 900
2nd Place - Mitch Guthrie - RZR
3rd Place - Brian Bush - Rotax Rhino
4th Place - Damon Cardone & Nate Copp - HCR Racing - RZR
5th Place - Joanne Gonzales & Brittney Cardone - HCR Racing - First All Women's Team in RZR
6th Place - Brett & Katie Carter - Teryx

Stay tuned as we hear more results, but word was from Brian that over 12 cars were broke down that they counted. I'm sure some are back up and running, but this race is the king of carnage, for sure. 4th and 5th place are supposedly in, as well, but I have no idea who it was yet.

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
We got schooled big time

Nice to see how strong Arctic Cat finished........oh wait there isnt any Arctic Cats, even a damn Rhino was in the top 5, Hell Im surprised there isnt a Kimco ahead of our machine. sad soooo sad :(

·
Registered
192 Posts
I completely understand why He didnt make it and I wouldnt have made it either in his shoes, but that was about our only chance. I am really torn between spending tons more cash on this machine or just give up and buy a RZR xp :mad:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah I expect it, but truth is in the finishes. I have stood by my machine even though I have never finished a weekend ride to date, sometimes it has just been a cut tire but I still haven't taken it home in one piece yet. and to keep reading week after week of the other brand whooping the crap out of us in any terrain is tough to swallow. these machines aren't cheap. I just don't want to end up with $25k in my XTZ only to have some dude in a stock XP blow me away.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I completely understand why He didnt make it and I wouldnt have made it either in his shoes, but that was about our only chance. I am really torn between spending tons more cash on this machine or just give up and buy a RZR xp :mad:

I would do what makes you happy!

I choose the route of dumping a lot of money into my XTZ and I am close to getting it to where it will be reliable and trustworthy. If you stick with the Prowler just do some research as to what are the must do items to make it reliable. I didn't go that route and did everything that could be done and then some which is the reason I can't afford the swimming pool I have wanted to put in my back yard for a few years. I don't regret purchasing the XTZ over the competition because if I would have bought a Razor I would have done the same upgrades to it. All of the models out there will need some upgrading to make them work right. The only thing I regret is trusting a few businesses that provided me with products or fabrication work that was not worthy for a 3 year olds big wheel. I have a problem leaving things alone and I like all of my things to be different from everyone else. I keep saying this will be the last time I do this but I guess I am addicted to messing with ****!

Good luck with what ever you decide and do what you want not what others tell you to do. The new Razor is nice I just wish it was American made.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yeah I expect it, but truth is in the finishes. I have stood by my machine even though I have never finished a weekend ride to date, sometimes it has just been a cut tire but I still haven't taken it home in one piece yet. and to keep reading week after week of the other brand whooping the crap out of us in any terrain is tough to swallow. these machines aren't cheap. I just don't want to end up with $25k in my XTZ only to have some dude in a stock XP blow me away.
This won't happen. If you put $4,000 into your XTZ you will never see any stock Razor unless it's in your rear view mirror and it won't be there for long either. If the XTZ motor wasn't so restricted it would make more power then the Razor XP stock to stock.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well its headed to the shop tomorrow to get the Airdam stage 5+ kit done, and before the spring ride I will be adding some King shocks. I already run 1.5" wheel spacers and off set wheels, so I am hoping with the clutch and shocks it will be a menace to the fellow RZR riders. after the spring ride it gets new cage and lower seats. but damn thats a lot of cash to keep up, I damn well better be the one they dread. was also thinking about the NEW dynatech CDI but not enough feed back on that yet. seems exhaust and fuel doesn't really help that much.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry guys that I couldn't make it to KOH to uphold the honor for Arctic Cat. But it will come.
As for turning the Cats into RZR XP900 killers, here's what it will take.

First thing, King Shocks. If you can afford it, then put long travel on also.
Install a good set of Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, wheels don't matter too much unless you are racing or rock crawling.

Second thing, lower the seats and replace the entire cage, widen the chassis at the bottom rails (ala flying 121's car), that will help put in good seats and give you room to lower them enough. Go 5 inches down if you can.

Third, send your clutch to Adam at Airdam for the stage V kit, put on a good EPI HD Kevlar Belt.

Fourth, replace your seats with Beard Super TZ's, Beard Fuel Seats, Mastercraft 3G or Twisted Stitch seats.

Fifth, replace your exhaust with Muzzy Twins or Ron Woods Twins, install a Power Commander V controller. Install an offset keyway on the crank.

Along the way, toughen up your tie-rods, beef your frame, etc...little things go a long way to making the car survive.

Doing these things will put you squarely in the RZR XP killer realm. You will be right around 85-90hp, with 13-15inches wheel travel, place your center of gravity low enough to beat the RZR around the corners, etc.

Most important, learn how to drive and keep your car alive.
Almost every race that is won in the desert, is won by survival of the car, not the speed or suspension. Only when you get into the pro classes at SCORE, BITD, etc do those other things really come into play. When Jagged X won the KOH UTV Race, it was because of prep. They have more skill at prepping a race car than any other team that was there. Yes, the 73mph top speed played big too, but their car wasn't as fast as Jon Crowley's Teryx with the 999cc Muzzy motor, and didn't have as much suspension travel as Jon's car. But Jon's car broke a shock tower, putting him out.

Now, if it will calm you guys down, I will tell you, you are getting alot closer to a major announcement by Arctic Cat....I know we have all heard that before, but Arctic Cat does want to build you the car you want. They just have to engineer, test and make sure it's the right machine before they kick it out the door. They are improving...
Now consider if you will, had they designed a car to beat the RZR-S, then put it on the market, then the Commander X came out, they would have to redesign and spend a fortune to retool. If they waited and built a car to beat the Commander X, then when the RZR XP900 came out, they would be behind the curve again. So perhaps they are spending time to make sure they have the best, a tru RZR XP900 and Commander killer....

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Darryll we are waiting patiently for you to do some ***** slapping out there in the off road world. As far as the new cat I hope you are right. I am hearing we are close. But have heard that before. Lets just hope it lives up to the all the hype. We could use something to cheer about here pretty quick.
Sorry guys that I couldn't make it to KOH to uphold the honor for Arctic Cat. But it will come.
As for turning the Cats into RZR XP900 killers, here's what it will take.

First thing, King Shocks. If you can afford it, then put long travel on also.
Install a good set of Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, wheels don't matter too much unless you are racing or rock crawling.

Second thing, lower the seats and replace the entire cage, widen the chassis at the bottom rails (ala flying 121's car), that will help put in good seats and give you room to lower them enough. Go 5 inches down if you can.

Third, send your clutch to Adam at Airdam for the stage V kit, put on a good EPI HD Kevlar Belt.

Fourth, replace your seats with Beard Super TZ's, Beard Fuel Seats, Mastercraft 3G or Twisted Stitch seats.

Fifth, replace your exhaust with Muzzy Twins or Ron Woods Twins, install a Power Commander V controller. Install an offset keyway on the crank.

Along the way, toughen up your tie-rods, beef your frame, etc...little things go a long way to making the car survive.

Doing these things will put you squarely in the RZR XP killer realm. You will be right around 85-90hp, with 13-15inches wheel travel, place your center of gravity low enough to beat the RZR around the corners, etc.

Most important, learn how to drive and keep your car alive.
Almost every race that is won in the desert, is won by survival of the car, not the speed or suspension. Only when you get into the pro classes at SCORE, BITD, etc do those other things really come into play. When Jagged X won the KOH UTV Race, it was because of prep. They have more skill at prepping a race car than any other team that was there. Yes, the 73mph top speed played big too, but their car wasn't as fast as Jon Crowley's Teryx with the 999cc Muzzy motor, and didn't have as much suspension travel as Jon's car. But Jon's car broke a shock tower, putting him out.

Now, if it will calm you guys down, I will tell you, you are getting alot closer to a major announcement by Arctic Cat....I know we have all heard that before, but Arctic Cat does want to build you the car you want. They just have to engineer, test and make sure it's the right machine before they kick it out the door. They are improving...
Now consider if you will, had they designed a car to beat the RZR-S, then put it on the market, then the Commander X came out, they would have to redesign and spend a fortune to retool. If they waited and built a car to beat the Commander X, then when the RZR XP900 came out, they would be behind the curve again. So perhaps they are spending time to make sure they have the best, a tru RZR XP900 and Commander killer....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Well its headed to the shop tomorrow to get the Airdam stage 5+ kit done, and before the spring ride I will be adding some King shocks. I already run 1.5" wheel spacers and off set wheels, so I am hoping with the clutch and shocks it will be a menace to the fellow RZR riders. after the spring ride it gets new cage and lower seats. but damn thats a lot of cash to keep up, I damn well better be the one they dread. was also thinking about the NEW dynatech CDI but not enough feed back on that yet. seems exhaust and fuel doesn't really help that much.
I was thinking more like a turbo and 180 ft. pounds of torque at the tires!

·
Registered
192 Posts
running Pit Bull Growlers 27.5X11 rears X9 fronts 14" rim.
I already love my tires. I tried the bighorns, didnt like them much.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
running Pit Bull Growlers 27.5X11 rears X9 fronts 14" rim.
I already love my tires. I tried the bighorns, didnt like them much.
Pitbulls are good choices also, the main thing is to remember, if there is alot of "out of corner" acceleration, you want a light tire to be able to get the speed up quick. For desert courses such as Vegas To Reno or the Baja's, you want a tire that is up to lasting the run. So you can see, two different choices.
I have a set of tires with spares for desert racing (ITP BajaCross's) and a set with spares set up with lighter tires (Maxxis Bighorns) for short course or short, sandy type races such as the Dig 100 in NM.

But for trail, either the Maxxis Bighorn or even the Pitbulls. Pitbulls will be a better choice on sandstone or shale rock or trips such as going to Moab.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Darryll we are waiting patiently for you to do some ***** slapping out there in the off road world. As far as the new cat I hope you are right. I am hearing we are close. But have heard that before. Lets just hope it lives up to the all the hype. We could use something to cheer about here pretty quick.
I'm right there with you, not having the new machine out has cost me a lot of sales as a dealer. But I can see AC's thinking on not releasing a machine that would only be outclassed and outrun by the next machine out. Polaris isn't going to have another major release like the RZR-4 or RZR XP900 for a while, neither will CanAm. The only other releases will be the Yamaha R1 based Rhino and maybe a Teryx from Kawi, but those machines likely won't be the contenders that the CanAm and RZR XP are.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Oh when they see how many xp's polaris sells they will take notice. They will be laughing all the way to the bank. Yamaha is in trouble with the lawsuits. They do not sit on the sidelines for this long.
I am sure that they are all up to something. I really am hoping for something super well thought out by AC. Their sleds are legendary. I know they know the potential of the utv sales-profits. Yamaha got rich there for awhile. Now it is Polaris that is doing it. And I suppose Can Am. I like the weight of the rzr but the tight passenger compartment is a deal breaker. Right now if I was gonna buy I don't think there is one out there that I would drop the coin on. Now that easily said when I have one in the shop. But I could be persuaded if a American company lived up to their sled reputation and got it done with a xp-comander killer.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts