Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Darryl u missed one hell of a race this weekend . but we all under stand family first and our prayers are with you . the UTV race of KOH was an amazing course from what ive heard and little bit i got to prerun . that XP is deffinantly not a machine to be taken lightly ! Mitch Guthrie 2x winner of KOH UTV tore the whole ass off his car trying to stay in front and then catch that XP of brandons . i say mitch come thru the pits dragging the right rear suspension on the ground ! PRETTY COOL SIGHT ! . but you have to give it to the Jagged X team and Brandon he know how to drive and has the budget not to care what breaks . but the XP it one impressive machine !

Darryl i guess you and me both have to wait till next year to make a Utv start at KOH .....i will be ready will you ?:D

i have to send a HUGE thank you to Jim @ HCR he went above and beyond and out of his way to help us get our #1923 SDHQ Rhino back on the road for race day . unfortunatly we had deeper engine troubles than we could fix on site . stupid yamaha :rolleyes: if you guys need anything suspension related give HCR a call and tell them i set ya . i cant thank Jim enough for what he did for us .

another HUUUUUUGE THANK YOU goes out to DEAN BULLOCK of D&P Performance . for overnighting in MORE parts that my local dealer hacked together on my XTZ to get us a running pit car .( stay tune for more on this story when i get home :eek:

service sucks here guys and i will give a complete story when i get home this weekend

thanks to EVERYONE
soazcat
matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey guys,

Still no official results that we've heard, but here's some pics:

Edit: Won't let me post pics till after 15 posts...dumb! :)

There are a ton of pics on Bower Motorsports Media's facebook page, as well.

Chris

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
running Pit Bull Growlers 27.5X11 rears X9 fronts 14" rim.
I already love my tires. I tried the bighorns, didnt like them much.
Those will hurt your performance in a big way. Very heavy tires = very slow acceleration. I have owned and tested just about all of the tires on the market. I found a compromise with the Maxxis Ceros tire. Very strong and fairly light and they handle great. I don't like Big Horns either. Just saying...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Those will hurt your performance in a big way. Very heavy tires = very slow acceleration. I have owned and tested just about all of the tires on the market. I found a compromise with the Maxxis Ceros tire. Very strong and fairly light and they handle great. I don't like Big Horns either. Just saying...
Interesting, maybe you can give us an in depth report on the Ceros, I've heard of them and seen photos, but never talked to anyone that has run them.

Any heavy tire will hurt performance, but in sharp edged rock or heavy cactus areas, the heavier tires are worth the loss of performance when you don't have as many flats.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Interesting, maybe you can give us an in depth report on the Ceros, I've heard of them and seen photos, but never talked to anyone that has run them.

Any heavy tire will hurt performance, but in sharp edged rock or heavy cactus areas, the heavier tires are worth the loss of performance when you don't have as many flats.
Darryl

When I responded to Holon's post it was because he made it clear that he didn't want to get beat by the competition. If you run heavy 8 ply tires you will get beat in acceleration even if you have a power advantage. I have seen it first hand with my turbo XTZ. Instead of pulling the turbo razors by 10 car lengths with the heavy tires I pull 15 to 20 car lengths with the Maxxis Ceros. I like the Baja Cross tire the best for durability. They are the **** for toughness and handling was great. I wanted to cut some weight for the performance so the Ceros fit the bill. They are a six ply radial and they seem to be durable and the XTZ doesn't push like it did with the other tires I tried. Baja Cross remains my favorite tire all but the weight.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Sorry guys that I couldn't make it to KOH to uphold the honor for Arctic Cat. But it will come.
As for turning the Cats into RZR XP900 killers, here's what it will take.

First thing, King Shocks. If you can afford it, then put long travel on also.
Install a good set of Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, wheels don't matter too much unless you are racing or rock crawling.

Second thing, lower the seats and replace the entire cage, widen the chassis at the bottom rails (ala flying 121's car), that will help put in good seats and give you room to lower them enough. Go 5 inches down if you can.

Third, send your clutch to Adam at Airdam for the stage V kit, put on a good EPI HD Kevlar Belt.

Fourth, replace your seats with Beard Super TZ's, Beard Fuel Seats, Mastercraft 3G or Twisted Stitch seats.

Fifth, replace your exhaust with Muzzy Twins or Ron Woods Twins, install a Power Commander V controller. Install an offset keyway on the crank.

Along the way, toughen up your tie-rods, beef your frame, etc...little things go a long way to making the car survive.

Doing these things will put you squarely in the RZR XP killer realm. You will be right around 85-90hp, with 13-15inches wheel travel, place your center of gravity low enough to beat the RZR around the corners, etc.

Most important, learn how to drive and keep your car alive.
Almost every race that is won in the desert, is won by survival of the car, not the speed or suspension. Only when you get into the pro classes at SCORE, BITD, etc do those other things really come into play. When Jagged X won the KOH UTV Race, it was because of prep. They have more skill at prepping a race car than any other team that was there. Yes, the 73mph top speed played big too, but their car wasn't as fast as Jon Crowley's Teryx with the 999cc Muzzy motor, and didn't have as much suspension travel as Jon's car. But Jon's car broke a shock tower, putting him out.

Now, if it will calm you guys down, I will tell you, you are getting alot closer to a major announcement by Arctic Cat....I know we have all heard that before, but Arctic Cat does want to build you the car you want. They just have to engineer, test and make sure it's the right machine before they kick it out the door. They are improving...
Now consider if you will, had they designed a car to beat the RZR-S, then put it on the market, then the Commander X came out, they would have to redesign and spend a fortune to retool. If they waited and built a car to beat the Commander X, then when the RZR XP900 came out, they would be behind the curve again. So perhaps they are spending time to make sure they have the best, a tru RZR XP900 and Commander killer....
We are behind you all the way Darryl. Looks like some really good ideas for our members to turn there XTZ into a RZR killer. I think the biggest picture AC is forgetting about so far with the XTZ is the RZRS 900 comes ready to kill for the most part. You don't have to go buy shocks and do major motor mods to go fast. I really hope AC steps up because the 900 seems to be kicking some tail these days. Take care and we look forward to you kicking some UTV butt for the PROWLER NATION.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah I expect it, but truth is in the finishes. I have stood by my machine even though I have never finished a weekend ride to date, sometimes it has just been a cut tire but I still haven't taken it home in one piece yet. and to keep reading week after week of the other brand whooping the crap out of us in any terrain is tough to swallow. these machines aren't cheap. I just don't want to end up with $25k in my XTZ only to have some dude in a stock XP blow me away.
There will always be someone faster, unless you have a endless budget

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We are behind you all the way Darryl. Looks like some really good ideas for our members to turn there XTZ into a RZR killer. I think the biggest picture AC is forgetting about so far with the XTZ is the RZRS 900 comes ready to kill for the most part. You don't have to go buy shocks and do major motor mods to go fast. I really hope AC steps up because the 900 seems to be kicking some tail these days. Take care and we look forward to you kicking some UTV butt for the PROWLER NATION.
Seth I agree with you on this. I hope AC pulls through with something good in the very near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I would drop a note about Hollan and hie tire chose, we ride inthe mountains here in ky and very little desert racing, so the tire choice is on from our terrain. my 2ct.:D

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I would drop a note about Hollan and hie tire chose, we ride inthe mountains here in ky and very little desert racing, so the tire choice is on from our terrain. my 2ct.:D
I completely understand the reasoning behind your tire choice. I like the tough and heavy tires myself because anything else I blow the sides out on a rock at 85mph and it could be game over. I will say that the tire weight is one of the most important factors if you want to win a drag race though. An example I will use is running in the deep cinders in Flagstaff Arizona with the heavy Baja Cross up the hills in the summer and my XTZ over heats. When I remove 7 pounds per tire and reduce the rotating mass my XTZ runs all day long with no sign of over heating. Sandchris was the first person to try to talk sense to me about tire weight and I didn't listen. I am used to having lot's of torque (diesel truck) and big heavy tires never really mattered. With the atv's and side x sides it is huge.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I could never race offroad the weight would have me in the loony hospital.
Racing offroad and it's cost is enough to make anyone looney tunes....

Bda bda bda, that's all folks......

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
How much does that thing have to weigh to race?
It's not anywhere as heavy as you might think. Taking off the bed and all the little frame attachments, then putting the chromemoly cage on, left it at a 1480lb race weight (includes fuel). That's 60 lbs more than stock, which if I put the Maxxis Bighorns on, then I'm only about 48-52 lbs more than stock.
If you want to really make your XTZ fly, do a bed delete on it. That damn thing weighs alot.
All the body and firewall panels are aluminum. Weight distribution is very close to 49/51 now. The center of gravity is a lot lower than your machine. The seats are over 12 inches lower than stock. The total height is about 64 inches at 14.5 inches ground clearance. The wheelbase is 7 inches longer than stock, width is 72.5 inches.
And yes, the hood scoop is functional as a ram air system, with the intake passage having a straight shot into the throttle body. From a complete stop, sitting in the car, we can do a drive belt change in under 12 minutes now. The entire car is built to be worked on quickly in event of a breakdown, we've beefed up all the areas that have shown to be weak over the past couple of years on our other machines. Wheel travel is right at 17 inches (55% compression, 45% droop), but I will have to rebuild the front A-arms since the kid that built them didn't do them right (they hit the axle at 3 inches droop.
So yes, weight is sometimes a necessary evil, but the car is also built using light materials and built with reliability and workability in mind..
Not a Glamis baby though.....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can you race it at 1480?
Yes, for 2011, BITD and the other sanctioning bodies have removed the 2100lb weight rule, now I can run at this weight. The small bore cars don't like this rule, but with the Can Am 1000 and the RZR XP900, they realize the future of the class is with bigger bore machines.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Eff me 2100 lbs that thing would be a turd. I know everyone would have to be at 2100 if they did not remove that rule. That is too heavy for 80-90 hp.
Yeah, that was pretty heavy. The 2100lb rule was with fuel, tools and both driver and passenger.

I have to finish up pressure testing the fuel system and brake system. Minor things here and there, but since the next race for it is April 29th (BITD Silver State 300), I'm going to go back and redo a few things that I threw together in attempt to be ready for the KOH race.

This weekend was really warm (we hit 53), so I'm getting the itch to get it out on and start testing it out.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts