Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for possible ideas to fix my machine.. By all means i am not a mechanic but i can turn a wrench when needed.. The issue i am having is when my primary and secondary clutch were installed with a new belt i now have a clunking noise coming from my primary clutch.. When i rev it up the noise disappears.. As it idles longer it gets louder. My only thought was the one way bearing being bad. Any help would be much appreciated..

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Welcome to the site, I'm sure more replies will follow! Any other issues with the clutch? Engagement OK? One way clutch can be removed, you will lose engine braking under 10 mph, but it will not do any harm. Recently Arctic Cat issued a bulletin advising removing the one way bearing if you are pulling heavy loads, or other heavy load operations. I pulled my one way out several months ago, and notice very little change in my machine!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You said it just started when you had the belt installed, there could be the chance that the belt was too far down between the clutch plates during the install and not allowing the nut to be completely tightened because it was clamping against the belt. That might be more of a rattle noise than clunking though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help. Looks to be the one way bearing. The bearing fell apart when my buddy took it out.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Run without it and let us know what you think!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Time's 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything is running great now! Thanks for the advice. Has anyone else had issues with the casting on the rear differential where the bolts goes through to the mounts break? Half of the casting is broke. The differential is in great working order.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Sounds like the bolt came loose at one point in time? First I've heard of a broken casting.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Thats a very common problem wit a 1000 so much torque....
these ALL require a pre-ride close once over and if a long outing [like a 800 mile jaunt through the forests ] and mid ride close inspection. IMHO

CC size doesn't matter and at minimum a close look see after removal of panels / dog house a couple times a ride season.

just one man's opinion of course.

we bounce and bang these through many types of terrane and give them hell , the least we can do is realize they will fail if not cared for !

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I have mine down at least once a week, pull the seats, dog house and panel under the engine. Check for loose bolts, fluid leaks, and anything out of the ordinary! I usually log 300-500 miles every week!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I have mine down at least once a week, pull the seats, dog house and panel under the engine. Check for loose bolts, fluid leaks, and anything out of the ordinary! I usually log 300-500 miles every week!
you have yours down so often you have velcro holding it together for ease of removal :)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Yeah, that is true! Can't help myself, I love to tinker! Prowler has everything I need: Engine, Trans, Differentials, suspension, Wiring, and a decent Design!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts