Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My prowler died the other day and I towed it into the shop. I still hear the fuel pump so I checked for spark. The spark was weak and yellow so I tested the coil and found the ohm reading out of speck, no prop Order a new coil. New coil in hand and it tested fine, but sadly still a crappy spark. Test the boot, it is fine. Am I missing something?
Is there something else that would cause this?

thanks

Rod

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the same issue with my xtz. I put new plugs in and cleaned the ground. So far it has been starting fine. If you didn't already you might check the voltage at the coil and the ground.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Grounding circuits on these machines are at best in need of help! My sparkplug boot came apart internally, so I replaced the boot cut about 1/2" off the plug wire and re-installed the boot. I now carry a spare!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grounding circuits on these machines are at best in need of help! My sparkplug boot came apart internally, so I replaced the boot cut about 1/2" off the plug wire and re-installed the boot. I now carry a spare!

you mean where the coil grounds to the frame?

·
Registered
12 Posts
He's referring to the ground from the battery. I researched on this site a bunch before I tore into mine (bought it not running) found several posts where guys added extra ground wires from the battery to the frame/engine. The poor grounds Rob power from other things when try to start the engine. One thing you could try is hooking a jumper cable from negative terminal to the engine or If you have a meter check the voltage while cranking but put you meter ground lead on the engine or shiny bolt in frame etc and posatire on the coil power wire. Not saying that's your problem but worth a try.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, stopped and picked up a 3' grounding cable. Is there any place in particular to attach it to the frame? or does it matter?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I added additional grounds from the engine to the frame, and from the Negative post of the battery to the frame.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. thanks. I will try it on my days off

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
All this talk about grounds again I finally went to NAPA today and bought one. I ran it from the battery to one of the frame bolts under the seat. Might have to get another one to run from the engine to the frame next.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Also used external star washers to ensure a good connection! I added some lights to the front of mine and noticed they were flickering, and dim. Started looking at grounds and decided I needed more. Put a ground buss in front, under the dash, and near the engine!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I have to check, I think I have one of the washers somewhere.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
They work pretty good cutting through the paint!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tried ground battery to frame and battery to engine. still no luck.

any other ideas?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I notice you have a Optima Deep Cycle battery, so battery is not an issue. How is the Stator? Regulator? Do you have a manual? I'll trace the wiring down and post again later.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just downloaded the manual. Will start to troubleshoot the stator tonight

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hi
My prowler died the other day and I towed it into the shop. I still hear the fuel pump so I checked for spark. The spark was weak and yellow so I tested the coil and found the ohm reading out of speck, no prop Order a new coil. New coil in hand and it tested fine, but sadly still a crappy spark. Test the boot, it is fine. Am I missing something?
Is there something else that would cause this?

thanks

Rod
When you got your machine back home how many volts was the battery showing........ so you're saying it won't start now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
battery shows 12.75 volts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
died on the trail. and still wont start. I downloaded the manual and started to troubleshoot but a couple pointers would be great

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quick question

i took the fuel line off the throttle body and with the key on it only pumps for a couple seconds (like when you turn the key on before start) then stops. Is this normal? I would assume that if the correct fuel pressure has not been reached it would stay on. gonna check relays and move on from here

1 - 20 of 52 Posts