Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Very new to the UTV world but am a die hard Arctic cat guy! I recently bought a brand new 2014 HDX 700. Its awesome but I do find it quite loud. I have a soft cab on it. I find the noise a bit excessive and I also notice a lot of heat getitng sucked up through the seast belt hole if I drive with a window open. I assume its because its drawn up through the hole due to a vacuum effect.

Does anyone have solutions for this? Anyone do anything that makes it quieter? I can deal with the heat, especially with a Newfoundland Winter about to start.

Also, any suggestions for a gun rack? I was looking at the Kolpin Floor mount. Any ideas would be great!

I look forward to being apart of this awesome community!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house .. the new guy gets to brew the big pot of coffee in the morning and brings in a load of fire wood for the fire pit :)

fill in you signature line and location [user CP / control panel ]

as to the Kolpin floor mount .. works well after you find the right location and angle for your needs , it does intrude on the passengers space and if they are a large person might not be what you want.

Dyna mat [a dense foam type product available a most US speed shops like Summit Racing or Jegs on line works to get it] line the underside of the engine cover .. they also make a quiet muffler system but they are hard to find so start looking online .. most mufflers are noise makers . A/C's are noise makers do to engine location and exhaust routing.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Lining the area around the engine helps both noise, and heat. Not that familiar with the HDX, but I think the seat is over the engine so lining the bottom of the pan would help greatly! At one point in time, wrapping the exhaust with header wrap was popular, but the downside is that it shortened exhaust pipe life. From your post I assume you have a full cab, great for winter, but not so much in hotter months. Being that the HDX is a popular machine I'm sure others will offer better ideas!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
That is why they invented "COLD BEVERAGES"! LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Or as Scot says.... Trail Ales! Everyone I've been in rides hot, but that heat can be good too! My heat vents work great in the winter when plowing, gonna add 2 more. Then Dyna Mat and looking for a small fan to push the heat out of the vents. I bet by playing around, we could duct the heat out from under the splashpan in the summer, too. RD... Here we go!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Biggest challenge on the full cab is getting air into the cab, and exhausting it. Some type of closable vent high in front on the windshield, and a similar vent down low behind the seats (above the bed). I used the Arctic Cat vent kit on my Lexan windshield, they are easy to install. On my Street legal setup, I fabricated a scoop over the top of the windshield to catch air. I found that while riding, air would follow the windshield surface up, and then over the top of the Prowler, very little would come in the cab. This was with the top off! Anybody interested in the air scoop, PM me, I can get some pictures to you if wanted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My '14 HDX 700 is very hot under the seat and I haven't had much luck controlling it. I did use a ton of aluminum tape under the seat pan, and other parts, but it did very little. As far as the gun racks go look into the overhead option, I installed one that holds two rifles and I love it. I will advise you to use hose clamps, or something similar, to secure the bars to the roll cage. Otherwise they can vibrate loose and fall. The attached picture doesn't show it well but there are two rifles overhead.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I added numerous aluminum panels over my exhaust to deflect the heat. Biggest heat generator seemed to be the clutch air out, I snorkeled the clutch air away from the cab. Been a lot of claims about wrapping the exhaust, but from my experience wrapping the factory exhaust will lead to pipe failure in short order. It just traps all moisture and the pipe becomes brittle. Several suppliers offer muffler blankets for cars, it is heat resistant material encased in aluminum foil. That may be something for under your seat.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Yep I got proof of the header failure after using the header wrap, it might not be bad in desert climates but if you drive in wet, muddy conditions don't do it.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My '14 HDX 700 is very hot under the seat and I haven't had much luck controlling it. I did use a ton of aluminum tape under the seat pan, and other parts, but it did very little. As far as the gun racks go look into the overhead option, I installed one that holds two rifles and I love it. I will advise you to use hose clamps, or something similar, to secure the bars to the roll cage. Otherwise they can vibrate loose and fall. The attached picture doesn't show it well but there are two rifles overhead.
Beautiful picture

·
Registered
518 Posts
I added numerous aluminum panels over my exhaust to deflect the heat. Biggest heat generator seemed to be the clutch air out, I snorkeled the clutch air away from the cab. Been a lot of claims about wrapping the exhaust, but from my experience wrapping the factory exhaust will lead to pipe failure in short order. It just traps all moisture and the pipe becomes brittle. Several suppliers offer muffler blankets for cars, it is heat resistant material encased in aluminum foil. That may be something for under your seat.
On mine, the clutch air duct dumps right onto the exhaust header almost directly beneath the driver's side of the seat. I wonder if that contributes to the heat that I feel coming up my backside.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'm still trying to get hold of an HDX to look at for a few days. LOL, actually put a couple of feelers out in Michigan for access to one. I don't really know how they are laid out.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I need to get off my lazy butt and fab up some heat shields for my XTZ , sure gets hot in there in summer even with the dog house duramat I put in .

I had to put some of the bubble / mylar stuff over the dog house and behind the calf area for my wife to quit 'B*****ng about the heat .... maybe a custom thermo blanket like they make for turbo wraps would work Eh

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I get a lot of heat from where the seat belt brackets come through the engine cover, the brackets get really hot!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'm thinking about having some louvered side panels made up to help airflow into the engine clutch areas. Several firms used to offer them for autos.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm thinking about having some louvered side panels made up to help airflow into the engine clutch areas. Several firms used to offer them for autos.
How about a functional hood scoop with a 3" flexible hose ran to the engine compartment? Either under the floor or if you have the center floor console you could go through it. Now that I think about it a hose through the firewall from the scoop would add fresh air to the passenger compartment, as long as you add a cabin filter to keep the dust out. Just thinking aloud again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts