Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went elk hunting about 3 weeks ago and my cat started to make a metal on metal grinding noise. Sounds like I may be coming from the clutch. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the belt. Appeared I wore that out rather fast.
Didn't grind when I got it back. Put the plow on to clear the drive way today started grinding again and the shop knows nothing, said they will call arctic cat in the morning. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks

-Darren
2015 arctic cat prowler 700 hdx xt eps
Clutch kit and tracks installed

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Does it do it while idling? Low Gear?, High Gear, any aluminum flakes coming out the clutch air out duct? Does the clutch engage as it should? More questions than answers! I had a bolt back off in the inner cover once, chewed the clutch face up and pushed aluminum flakes out of the clutch air out duct. I'm sure you will get more advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does in all does it in all gears but only at idle. Once i give it some gas and drive it stops. Shop found no flakes only belt dust in the clutch.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Darren welcome to the house .. some back n forth needed here.

do you have experience with quads and or SxS's ?

did you use low gear when needed v/s just powering through tuff slopes/hills , these are tuff on belts when just powering in high range at slow speeds for long periods especially in steep terrain .. also plowing should be low range at lower speeds .. don't try to shift into or out of low or high when moving these trannies don't like that at all.

fellow above is a good source of info and knowledge as well as others here.

your tracks will stress the belt more than tires [assume you know that by now] so gear selection is important ..

hang in there answers / suggestions will come

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the house Darren, what do you guys think could a one-way bearing cause this?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
The belt should last years. You have a clutch kit & tracks, did it make the noise before they were installed? I think the clutch kit comes with a washer & rollers, could something have been installed wrong? I'm just throwing some thoughts out, your rig is a lot newer than mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had no noise before tracks, and noise for the first 50+ miles with the tracks on. Only 450 miles on the machine so far. I am sure I installed the clutch kit properly.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hopefully someone on here that has tracks will jump in the conversation and can help.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You do want to challenge us don't you? LOL Only at idle from what I understand? At idle the clutch is sitting still, as you have a wet clutch that won't turn the primary at idle. If the wet clutch is engaging at idle, your machine will stall. If you are not completely in a gear, you will hear a grinding/whine sound. The tracks do place an additional load on the driveline, but then again it only does it at idle, so I doubt the tracks are the cause. The Tracks clutch kit for the 700 consists of lighter rollers, and a 2mm aluminum spacer from what I understand. Check to see if your fixed plate came loose, the nut that secures it has caused problems for some (ME). Keep us informed! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
You do want to challenge us don't you? LOL Only at idle from what I understand? At idle the clutch is sitting still, as you have a wet clutch that won't turn the primary at idle. If the wet clutch is engaging at idle, your machine will stall. If you are not completely in a gear, you will hear a grinding/whine sound. The tracks do place an additional load on the driveline, but then again it only does it at idle, so I doubt the tracks are the cause. The Tracks clutch kit for the 700 consists of lighter rollers, and a 2mm aluminum spacer from what I understand. Check to see if your fixed plate came loose, the nut that secures it has caused problems for some (ME). Keep us informed! Good Luck
Correct the primary and secondary does not move at idle with a wet clutch,without a wet clutch primary and secondary turns at idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer is gunnar warrenty the one way bearing. Said they will take it out and replace it with a gasket since the one way bearing in not really needed.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
AC posted a bulletin regarding removing the one way bearing if you are putting your Prowler under heavy loads, pulling a trailer, tracks and so on. The dealer is right, you don't really need it. Engine braking will be effected, but will still function somewhat! I pulled mine out last summer and I don't miss it!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Mines coming out too. If I ever get the guts to tear it apart. I've rebuilt small block& big block sterndrives, outboards and lower units. And this little 650 intimidates the crap out of me.... WHY???:mad:

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Because when it is down, you can't ride! I was much the same until I saw what they are charging for labor! Once I got into mine I found out they are pretty simple!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Because when it is down, you can't ride! I was much the same until I saw what they are charging for labor! Once I got into mine I found out they are pretty simple!
Exactly! It's a 365 days out of the year toy. Sucks when it's down.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Big Time Sucks! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts