Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016 HDX700. , Monday it slowed and went dead. Would not start back up. Turn key and hear the fuel pump, engine turns over but wont start. Towed it to my garage, charged battery over night. It started, but would not stay running and had a strong gas smell. Today it would not start and battery is at 90% charge. No codes are on the screen. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like the battery is going. Check the voltage when cranking, make sure the battery terminals are tight! (Use a wrench). Also check electrical connections that the plugs are clipped in good. Pull the spark plug and check for good spark with a tester or by holding the plug to the head while cranking.

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its 12,5 to 12.7 volts. shows 100 percent. I thought it was a battery problem too, but now I dont think so. Im stumped.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is the fuel pressure? Should be 43psi

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fianlly checked compression and it was 45lbs, when I added a little oil to the spark plug hole, compression went up to around 95. That told me it was the rings. I removed the head getting ready to rebuild, the c-clip that holds the camshaft in place was not there. My question is, could this have cause my problem? The cam shaft can move side to side about 3mm each way without this clip in place. I am just wondering since my top end is basically new if this could be my whole issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I doubt it. Now..if for some reason the camshaft timing is off it could affect compression but the fact that adding oil changed it so much does point toward a ring problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts