Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Two competing Utility UTVs that are suddenly siblings

The off-road community was a little shocked when we all learned that Textron purchased Arctic Cat. We all had the same questions floating through our minds – what was going to happen to the Arctic Cat brand and line up? We got most of those questions answered recently and now know that the Arctic Cat UTVs will transition into the Textron Off Road stable with the next model year, but most will stick around. Now that we know the plan, the next questions are, where does the Textron Stampede fit in the lineup, and how does it compare to what Arctic Cat offers now? That’s where we come in. Let’s take a look at the Textron Stampede and the Arctic Cat HDX 700 by the numbers.

Check out the head to head comparison here: 2017 Textron Stampede vs Arctic Cat HDX 700: By the Numbers

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Price point is about the same, the two big differences is Horse power: Stampede Wins, bed capacity: HDX wins. I would say if they put them side by side in a showroom most will go for the hp unless they find one more comfortable than the other. Then when they start talking accessories, which will have more and at what price? I'm afraid the HDX will get phased out.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
it should if it doesn't meet up IMHO

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm afraid the HDX will get phased out.
i hope not. the hdx was the only reason i bought a side by side. it had the biggest bed and hauling weight capacity but was sporty enough to take the wife out for a sunday cruise to town. i was originally looking into the ranger but i just couldnt justify it. i was also leaning towards the john deere gator but once i saw the hdx i pulled the trigger. as much as i ride for fun, it must pull double duty with work being priority. i haul alot of bales with it. ive had a trailer hooked up to it that was loaded with 86 square alfalfa bales. it did squat but didnt have much of an issue with it. if the hdx is gone i would have to look into all options on the table or just keep the old girl running for the next 20+ years. best haul i have had with it was the box 3/4 full of rock. that really made it squat. I did have to have the rear end of the frame re-enforced to do this tho to help with tongue weight. it doesnt take much. i love the idea of an extended cab but i cannot sacrifice the box size at this time.
id be a liar if i said looks didnt have alot to play in purchasing my hdx and the stampede just doesnt do it for me in that area, at least the one pictured. i liked that cat had a different look than all the others. it seems that they are all starting to look the same like polaris and honda (very popular brands around here). very similar bodys at least to me.
the engine size has a small part to play with why i bought it. it needed low end grunt so the 500 wasnt an option for me but if the hdx came with a 1000 i probably wouldnt buy that either. my experience with 1000's is they have more hp but are hotter and suck more gas. at my age i dont need to tear up the corners like i did when i was younger so speed isnt an issue and i dont have a need to throw bigger tires on. country road riding im averaging 30 mph all day.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I think you should get hired in their sales department! Someone on here said they sat in the Stampede and it wasn't as comfortable as the Prowler. Hopefully the two won't be in direct competition with each other, I could use the bigger bed myself.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
All great points! Wonder how a 1000 HDX would sell?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Even though it's a 500, this would be temping for a new 2015 HDX

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Nice machine, Great price!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I think you should get hired in their sales department! Someone on here said they sat in the Stampede and it wasn't as comfortable as the Prowler. Hopefully the two won't be in direct competition with each other, I could use the bigger bed myself.
That was me. I drove 125 miles, one way, to see the Stampede and examine it in person at Bass Pro. It was VERY uncomfortable to sit in. They had Arctic Cats there also so I was able to compare easily. There won't be a Stampede in my barn unless severe changes are made to improve driver comfort.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
That paid off thing is making my old Prowler a keeper as much as I would like to give something new a try.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Being free and clear is great! No payments, and time to play is priceless!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Being free and clear is great! No payments, and time to play is priceless!
so true. it also lets you feel not so guilty about spending a little cash on upgrades.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts