Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Prowler 700 HDX.

I want to put an Optima yellow top battery in the storage compartment to run lights and accessories off of.

I want to know what I need to do to make this happen. I don't want to run with an isolator or anything. I want them to be totally independent batteries. I will keep a solar battery tender hooked up to the Optima when not in use.

Do I need to ground the battery to the frame somehow?

My electrical knowledge is very limited so please go easy on me. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not sure that would work. You might be able to run stuff for little bit but without a charge its just going to die. Then it will take hrs to recharge.

If you did decide to do that. Just need some leads and prob a fuse block.

Why not get an isolater? Your already dropping 200+ on a battery

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'm guessing you are talking about add on's separate from the Prowler electrical system. If so just run your new accessory grounds (negative post) to the new battery, and the positive leads to the positive post. I would recommend some type of circuit protection as that type of battery could pose a problem if it shorted out. I did something similar, but I used a continuous duty solenoid to allow the battery to be charged off the prowler system. I can keep my second battery separate or joined just buy flipping a switch. It gives me a fresh battery if my primary one fails. Hook up of this kind is very easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you tell me what you used and how? I'm not great with electrical things. I ended up with a blue top optima for now, but I am going to have to get a different size. The one I bought won't fit anywhere.

What battery would you suggest?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'd use the largest AGM battery that would fit and would bolt down in the compartment. The solenoid has 4 posts. Two large posts, and two small posts. Take the original battery cable off the battery and put it on the new solenoid post (large), add a new battery cable that goes from the battery to the same post that the old battery cable was on. On the other large post run a cable to the positive side of the new battery. Run the new battery ground to the frame of your prowler. Make sure you use good quality cables. Now run one wire (from small post) to ground, and a switched power wire to the other small post. I found my continuous duty solenoid off a shop on e-bay. Look for a 12Volt relay, or solenoid, make sure it is rated for continuous duty.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here's a pic of my set up. The prior owner did it, so I really can't comment on how it was done.

Arctic Cat sells an auxiliary battery kit, I believe. On the HDX, it mounts in the left side storage box behind the driver, but it's for the stock size battery. I've seen them on Ebay for $100, then you'd need to buy a battery for it, of course.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
looks good, pretty much standard hook up using a battery isolater, or a switched relay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic of my set up. The prior owner did it, so I really can't comment on how it was done.

Arctic Cat sells an auxiliary battery kit, I believe. On the HDX, it mounts in the left side storage box behind the driver, but it's for the stock size battery. I've seen them on Ebay for $100, then you'd need to buy a battery for it, of course.
Sockman, what size blue top Optima are you running?

I like the set up.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sockman, what size blue top Optima are you running?

I like the set up.
Not sure on the battery, but I'll find out today and let you know.

I'll say this, and maybe this is a problem specific to my machine. If I use the radio (machine not running, you know, stopped on the trail, drinking a beer, listening to some tunes), after a few minutes I'll always get that P0635 code on the dash which has to do with power steering. If I start it without shutting it off with that code present, the power steering doesn't work. If I shut it off, then start it, it works fine. I figured with a second battery, that I wouldn't have that problem, but alas it's there.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Ya gotta love electronics!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

looking at pic I don't see a hold down , if there isn't one there strongle suggest you add a good hold down. .. no flame intended just looking out for ya Buddy

·
Registered
518 Posts
looking at pic I don't see a hold down , if there isn't one there strongle suggest you add a good hold down. .. no flame intended just looking out for ya Buddy
I agree. Not a bad idea if the machine rolls.

I've got bad brains. Went for a ride today and forgot to check the battery to see what size it is.

But to make up for it, here's a pic from our ride today, and my buddy's chunky-butt lab chillin' in the snow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Not sure on the battery, but I'll find out today and let you know.

I'll say this, and maybe this is a problem specific to my machine. If I use the radio (machine not running, you know, stopped on the trail, drinking a beer, listening to some tunes), after a few minutes I'll always get that P0635 code on the dash which has to do with power steering. If I start it without shutting it off with that code present, the power steering doesn't work. If I shut it off, then start it, it works fine. I figured with a second battery, that I wouldn't have that problem, but alas it's there.
I believe the PO635 code is low voltage code.....how is your Stereo hooked up,is it hooked to the key or straight to the battery

·
Registered
518 Posts
I believe the PO635 code is low voltage code.....how is your Stereo hooked up,is it hooked to the key or straight to the battery
It's hooked up to the ignition.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
With your stereo hooked to the key you are also using extra battery power that runs your ECU and power going to your power steering and your instrument pod.......just hook your tunes direct and put it on a switch.........a volt gauge is very handy also,helps keep track of your battery volts......

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
With your stereo hooked to the key you are also using extra battery power that runs your ECU and power going to your power steering and your instrument pod.......just hook your tunes direct and put it on a switch.........a volt gauge is very handy also,helps keep track of your battery volts......
Makes sense. I can just run that off the auxiliary battery, which is also running the winch. I have a little project list for the spring time, will tackle that one then. Unfortunately, my buggy project is taking up space in the heated garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Makes sense. I can just run that off the auxiliary battery, which is also running the winch. I have a little project list for the spring time, will tackle that one then. Unfortunately, my buggy project is taking up space in the heated garage.
That's a cool looking buggy,what kind of motor does it have,True you can just run your stereo off your second battery........:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
That's a cool looking buggy,what kind of motor does it have,True you can just run your stereo off your second battery........:)
It started off life as a Joyner 250. The 250 was a 4 stroke scooter motor, which surprisingly does push these chinese machines around ok. The prior owner put in a 400 Polaris 2 stroke. It's had the works done to it, trail port/polish, lightened fly-wheel, case saver, performance reeds, hot rod, Wiseco piston. I don't know for sure, but I think it's probably 55-60hp. The prior owner was just learning to weld/fabricate, so there's been a lot of little things to do to clean it up. I've had the motor gone thru by the local Polaris shop since it needed top end and bearings/etc on the bottom end as well. I hate to think about how much money has been spent on that motor (not all by me). We should start a thread where everybody can discuss their other toys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts