Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at the Prowler line up for 2017, the entry level Prowler with the bench seat is pretty neat! Nice little machine! Less than 10 grand OTD! 500 EFI.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
3 seats but they made it narrower, shorter, and the bed is rated at 500 lb. and the cage looks a little strange. I'd have to see it in person but I'm not sure 3 could ride comfortable, maybe two adults and a small child.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Looking at the pics there's only 2 headrests, don't think it's meat to be a 3 seater. It would be good for plowing some of the narrow driveways, I could put a 5' blade on it.

Update: I bet it's going to compete with the Honda 500 Pioneer!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
maybe plow in low snow area's , but IMHO be a lil lean on power for a good snow area .. again MHO

I do like the seat set up, be nice to see a twin cylinder engine one with that seat .. be great for us wide body models [me] LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
maybe plow in low snow area's , but IMHO be a lil lean on power for a good snow area .. again MHO

I do like the seat set up, be nice to see a twin cylinder engine one with that seat .. be great for us wide body models [me] LOL
My HDX has the same engine. Although the HDX is a true 3 seater with much bigger box, more payload and the same listed towing capacity.

I can tell you that the engine in these, a Kymco 443 (listed as a 500) does not lack power to plow anything. You will run out of grip with the ground before you run out of power.

In addition: The roll cage on these new 500 looks funky, and its not listed as a 3 seater although its a bench seat. But for someone looking to get get into SxS for a good price, why not.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
good to hear the power is enough to plow !

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like AC pulled the 550 out of the 2017 line up. I'm sure this is there version of the mid size UTV. Be interesting to see aftermarket support for this model!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
My HDX has the same engine. Although the HDX is a true 3 seater with much bigger box, more payload and the same listed towing capacity.

I can tell you that the engine in these, a Kymco 443 (listed as a 500) does not lack power to plow anything. You will run out of grip with the ground before you run out of power.

In addition: The roll cage on these new 500 looks funky, and its not listed as a 3 seater although its a bench seat. But for someone looking to get get into SxS for a good price, why not.
If I could get a descent trade-in value I'd like to have a HDX

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
If the AC dealer does not give you a good trade in price, try with Toro and CubCadet. They both now carry the HDX500 and might be willing to give you more money for your Prowler.
KBB shows a trade-in value of $3,450 and NADA shows a low retail of $3,360 and average retail of $4,443. I've never really checked at a dealer to see what they would offer, I figure with the extras I want I'll still be around 10K out of pocket and just can't justify the cost. It's more of a want than need.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Kymco powertrain? Are we talking AC or AMC. For you youngins, AMC was a car maker that used Ford, Chrysler and GM parts in thier tin foil bodies. But I would kill to have a big block AMX Javelin! The old V-8 GremlinX's ran like raped apes, too!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about an old Rebel? 390/4 speed, hood scoop, and a red, white, and blue paint scheme!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kymco powertrain? Are we talking AC or AMC. For you youngins, AMC was a car maker that used Ford, Chrysler and GM parts in thier tin foil bodies. But I would kill to have a big block AMX Javelin! The old V-8 GremlinX's ran like raped apes, too!
I hope you were not expecting an answer on this and already knew... The 500 and 700 engines used by AC in their ATV/SxS is made by Kymco. Nothing wrong with this, Kymco is a great engine builder.

This is nothing special to AC, the snowmobile line-up only has 1 engine that is truly built by AC.

2000 series is a Suzuki 570 2s Fan cooled.
3000 series is a Kymco 700 4Stroke. (Also found in the Wild Cat trail)
4000 series is a Suzuki 500 2S.
5000 series is a Suzuki 1100 4s.
6000 series is a AC 600 2s.
7000 series is a Yamaha 1050 4s.
8000 series is a Suzuki 800 2s.
9000 series is either a Suzuki 1100 4s Turbo, or a Yamaha 998 4s Turbo depending on which year your looking at.

So AC has been using many different manufacturer for their engines with great success through the years.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Looking at the pics there's only 2 headrests, don't think it's meat to be a 3 seater. It would be good for plowing some of the narrow driveways, I could put a 5' blade on it.

Update: I bet it's going to compete with the Honda 500 Pioneer!

Not real sure I like the darn near straight up and down A-Pillars

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I hope you were not expecting an answer on this and already knew... The 500 and 700 engines used by AC in their ATV/SxS is made by Kymco. Nothing wrong with this, Kymco is a great engine builder.

This is nothing special to AC, the snowmobile line-up only has 1 engine that is truly built by AC.

2000 series is a Suzuki 570 2s Fan cooled.
3000 series is a Kymco 700 4Stroke. (Also found in the Wild Cat trail)
4000 series is a Suzuki 500 2S.
5000 series is a Suzuki 1100 4s.
6000 series is a AC 600 2s.
7000 series is a Yamaha 1050 4s.
8000 series is a Suzuki 800 2s.
9000 series is either a Suzuki 1100 4s Turbo, or a Yamaha 998 4s Turbo depending on which year your looking at.

So AC has been using many different manufacturer for their engines with great success through the years.

I hear the old Johnny Cash song in my ears .. one piece at a time lol

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very impressed with the Kymco 700 motor. 63 HP stock! Only wish it would work in a Prowler!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts