Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep , got it out today. Was checking the smoking belt thing and found out it wont rev anymore than 4800 in any gear. I posted a rev limiter thread and got no answers.So what do you guys think of this. Low , high, forward reverse,4 wheel, two wheel, all she will do! Has to be something electrical but what?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yep , got it out today. Was checking the smoking belt thing and found out it wont rev anymore than 4800 in any gear. I posted a rev limiter thread and got no answers.So what do you guys think of this. Low , high, forward reverse,4 wheel, two wheel, all she will do! Has to be something electrical but what?

Does your dash read H-L-R-N when you shift ? im pretty sure 4800 is all they will turn in neutral . maybe the switch is stuck telling the ecm your in neutral ? im not for sure ........

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't think that it was. Where is the switch located so i can check it.

i just walked out an looked at my xtz and shifter postion switch is down onthe side of the trans under the drivers seat . see if its unplugged or if it is even showing the gear postion on the dash .

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was justtalking to my son on phone and he looked at it today. We don't think it was showing gear, and he said the reverse override switch was not working at all today. So maybe one of the switches is stuck . Thanks , i will check in morning.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok Soazcat, We checked thedash to see if hte gear indicator worked. It works in r,n d, but when in low range and "E" comes up where the L should be.We checked the switch on the trans. , unhooked and replaced didn't seem to be a problem. Didn't have ohm meter so couldnt check switch, will do that tomorow.Do you guys think the switch is bad and not letting the reverse rev limiter from disengaging or what? Still won't rev over 4800.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Also, it shifts into all gears smoothly, so i don't think it is linkage.

well BOB i would say there is a problem with the shifter postion switch , but im not 100% on it i did start mine and yep 4800 is all itll do in neutral . i would call eaac or one of the other supporting dealers on here and ask them if they have seen this . sorry im not more help just havnt worked on these Cats enough yet . good luckand let us know what ya find

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks , I tend to agree with you about the switch, what baffles me is the indicator on dash reads E when the car is in low range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my 08 xtx does that sometimes too, then it will pop outta gear on me. I wiggle the shifter a bit and it changes from E to L and it works fine. I think mine should be adjusted tho cause i think its kinda sounding like its not "completely" engaged

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried to wiggle shifter and that didn't do anything.I pushed on the shift linkage a little and it didnt help either.Going to get a meter and check it out this week. Thanks for any help you guys can give. I was in the process of dropping the seats and long arm and clutch work. Wow i guess i need to get this fixed first.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here are the steps to actually test the switch indicator because it can cause your RPMs to be low.

With the machine in reverse, test the resistance of the red/yellow wire to the black ground wire in the connector of the Gear Selector Switch, It should have less than 1 ohm of resistance.
With the machine still in reverse, test continuity from the black ground wire to each of the other wires in the Gear Selector Switch connector. They should have no continuity.
Repeat test for each gear, referring to the Wiring Diagram for proper wire colors of each gear.
If the resistance test is greater than specified or the selector has continuity between multiple gears at once, the gear selector switch is not functioning and needs to be replaced.
If the gear selector tests properly the wire harness may be chafed or broken, repair or replace the harness.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Super, thanks eaac. I did unhook the battery today. It made no difference. I have a guy with a good ohm meter coming tomorow.This will be ver y helpful when diagnosising . Thanks again. Let you guys know what we find.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again thanks for the info on testing. We did the test, by the way the switch is on the passenger side, but there is a connector on drivers side.Anyway it didnt appear to be muddy or wet but when we unplugged it and replugged it it read in low gear. Cycled it once and it went back to the E reading in low range.Here is the wierd part. I started it and it read E in low range, as soon as i gave it some gas , just off idle it corrected itself and read L in low range. Checked wiring harness, appeared to be ok.as far as i can tell now it is working, but time will tell. Guess i will start tearing it down for seat lowering and send primary off to airdam to get it worked on. Thanks to all of you for your input, and it is working although we are not sure what was wrong.. Working for now. Yee Haaa!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts